Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:32
    they were so happy together!

this is a big news item!
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:321 edit
    I wonder how many people's marriages would survive if they made them the center of a reality show?

I tend to avoid most of these reality shows - most of them are contrived and always seem designed to lead to people screaming at each other -- besides, sports are the ultimate reality show and there's always something interesting to watch.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:37
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I wonder how many people's marriages would survive if they made them the center of a reality show?

I tend to avoid most of these reality shows - most of them are contrived and always seem designed to lead to people screaming at each other -- besides, sports are the ultimate reality show and there's always something interesting to watch.
    They're in it for the money, I couldn't care less about what happen to those two losers, however, I feel truly sorry for the kids.

Its reality tv at its worst.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:52
    i only watched a little bit of one show. i doubt the kids are that bad off, except for the divorce part. why should they know or care that they're playing to an audience of several million? and if they don't why would it affect them?

also, they're benefiting from the income! $75K per episode!
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:54
    on the other hand, that's $7.5K per person per episode. i wonder how that compares to what other actors get for reality shows?
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:55
    not even counting all the non-union extras!
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:591 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i only watched a little bit of one show. i doubt the kids are that bad off, except for the divorce part. why should they know or care that they're playing to an audience of several million? and if they don't why would it affect them?

also, they're benefiting from the income! $75K per episode!
    would you like to have your family breakdown on national television?

The whole thing is ridiculous, Im astonished to hear you watched it. The program is directed at shallow people who like watching other people's lives for no apparent reason. What's the point of the program? It's certainly the closest thing I've ever seen to a human zoo.
  11. WORK
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 17:59
    The Human Zoo... This fall on FOX!
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 18:01
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    would you like to have your family breakdown on national television?

The whole thing is ridiculous, Im astonished to hear you watched it. The program is directed at shallow people who like watching other people's lives for no apparent reason. What's the point of the program? It's certainly the closest thing I've ever seen to a human zoo.
    how can the kids tell they ARE on national television? they're little kids!
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 18:07
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    how can the kids tell they ARE on national television? they're little kids!
    My point is that displaying them on TV, in that situation is just not right.

and what for? for the pleasure of shallow voyers?
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 18:20
    for $75K an episode!

and surely it's not pleasure ... people pay to be sad, too, don't they? ...

there are lots of kids who've been adversely affected by fame, like the Dionne quints ... it's up to the parents and produces to make sure it doesn't happen ... it doesn't necessarily mean that the TV show is bad for them. except for the divorce, which could happen anywhere.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 18:25
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets#At_the_Dafoe_Nursery

At the Dafoe Nursery

The Dionne sisters were brought to Toronto in 1939 to meet Queen Elizabeth.Four months after the birth of the sisters, the Ontario government intervened and, in an unprecedented fashion, found the parents to be unfit for the quintuplets, and custody of the five babies was withdrawn from their parents by the Ontario government of Mitchell Hepburn in 1935, originally for a guardianship of two years. Although Oliva Dionne remained part of the guardianship, they were put under the guidance of Dr. Dafoe and two other guardians. The stated reason for removing the quintuplets from their parents' legal custody was to ensure their survival into healthy toddlers. The government realized the massive interest in the sisters and proceeded to engender a tourist industry around them. The girls were made wards of the provincial crown, planned until they reached the age of 18.

Approximately 6,000 people per day visited the observation gallery that surrounded an outdoor playground to view the Dionne sisters. Ample parking was provided and close to three million people walked through the gallery between 1936 and 1943. Oliva Dionne ran a souvenir shop and a concession store opposite the nursery and the area acquired the moniker of "Quintland". The souvenirs invariably pictured the five sisters. There were spoons, cups, plates, plaques, candy bars, books, postcards, dolls, and much more at this shop. Oliva Dionne also sold stones from the Dionne farm for $0.50 that were supposed to have some magical power of fertility. They sold autographs and framed photographs. Midwives, Madam LeGros and Madame LeBelle opened up their own souvenir and dining stand.[4]. In 1934, the Quintuplets brought in about $1 million, and they attracted in total about $51 million of tourist revenue to Ontario. Quintland became Ontario's biggest tourist attraction of the era, at the time surpassing the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree