1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 13:34
    Biden is at it again. Now he is saying that automatic weapons are not needed to defend yourself. In fact, using a shot gun is far easier.

YouTube
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 13:54
    Do people need "automatic weapons"?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 14:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Did you watch the video? Biden made the claim that shot guns were easier to use, thus safer to use. The video clearly shows the opposite.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 14:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Biden is at it again. Now he is saying that automatic weapons are not needed to defend yourself. In fact, using a shot gun is far easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafkVM-jnbE
    Don't you mean semi-automatic?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 14:22
    I don't know much about guns but it does appear that Biden's claim that a shotgun is easier to use than an AR-15 is a dubious claim.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 14:291 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Did you watch the video?
    No.

You said "Now [Biden] is saying that automatic weapons are not needed to defend yourself". I was just interested in the question of who is arguing that automatic weapons are needed to defend yourself.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 14:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't know much about guns but it does appear that Biden's claim that a shotgun is easier to use than an AR-15 is a dubious claim.
    Is the assertion of the right to own automatic weapons mainstream in the U.S.? Even many of the pro-gun posters here seem to not go as far claiming automatic weapons are necessary or appropriate, unless I have misunderstood.
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 14:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. Should the US military or UN or other foreign military engage the citizens of the United States they will be necessary.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 15:09
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Yes. Should the US military or UN or other foreign military engage the citizens of the United States they will be necessary.
    My guess is they would be more useful against people who think they might need them against the US military or the UN.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 15:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    My guess is they would be more useful against people who think they might need them against the US military or the UN.
    That would be Bidens guess as well.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 15:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the assertion of the right to own automatic weapons mainstream in the U.S.? Even many of the pro-gun posters here seem to not go as far claiming automatic weapons are necessary or appropriate, unless I have misunderstood.
    Fully automatic weapons have been controlled in the U.S. since the prohibition era, (National Firearms Act, 1934), and the transfer of newly manufactured machine guns was banned in 1986. So effectively you're only allowed a machine gun if it's more than 27 years old. Whether ownership is allowed depends on the State, they are sought after by collectors and fetch relatively high prices due to their scarcity. Their scarcity means that they're not the big problem, most gun crimes in the U.S. revolve around hand guns. The NRA will campaign to assert the right to own fully automatic weapons as much to avoid regulations by trying to gain momentum in the other direction than in any real expectation that the Federal law will be relaxed.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 16:052 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am certainly in favor of reasonable restrictions on automatic weapons. As for others in the US, it's probably something like 50-50 (it's a red state-blue state sort of issue) when it comes to regulation of semi-automatic weapons; I'm sure more than 50% would agree with restrictions on fully automatic weapons.

But in the video, Biden does make a claim that is dubious, even if the reason he's making the claim is legitimate.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 16:50
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    That would be Bidens guess as well.
    Yeah, he's waiting to pounce. Better stock up on ammo and canned food.
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 17:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    BS. Semi-auto weapons have the greatest risk for accidents and injury, especially for inexperienced shooters.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 18:41
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    BS. Semi-auto weapons have the greatest risk for accidents and injury, especially for inexperienced shooters.
    He didn't say safer; he said easier. Watch the clip.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree