1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 15:01
    YouTube

The youtube is with Samantha Bee and about Kelly's hilarious statement that "the Civil War happened because the americans couldn't reach a compromise".
    I wonder how a compromise on slavery would have looked. Mondays through Wednesdays? Every other weekend?
    Damn abolitionists being unreasonable.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 15:13
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8-pY3n3MAs

The youtube is with Samantha Bee and about Kelly's hilarious statement that "the Civil War happened because the americans couldn't reach a compromise".
    I wonder how a compromise on slavery would have looked. Mondays through Wednesdays? Every other weekend?
    Damn abolitionists being unreasonable.
    I thought they got upset that Kelly called General Lee an honorable man.

Do you think he was an honorable man?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 15:291 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I thought they got upset that Kelly called General Lee an honorable man.

Do you think he was an honorable man?
    they absolutely didn't get upset on that but on the ludicrous revisionist notion that a compromise should have been reached on slavery. That however is more about your abysmal reading comprehension which i don't care to insist.

on robert Lee's character, no, he wasn't honorable, he was a slavery apologist who viewed blacks as property
    https://books.google.ro/books?id=1w5Qp4qYfE0C&pg=PA433&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Negroes belonging to our citizens are not considered subjects of exchange and were not included in my proposition.
    To Ulysses S. Grant on why black U.S. soldiers were not be repatriated by the Confederacy, as quoted in Liberty, Equality, Power: Enhanced Concise Edition (2009), California: Cengage Learning, p. 433

on the following link try to keep your ADD in check and read it fully, not just the text in red (which was written by Gingrich and the author of the article states is pure fiction)
    https://cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/robert-e-lee-and-union-black-pows/
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 15:441 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 16:12
    they absolutely didn't get upset on that but on the ludicrous revisionist notion that a compromise should have been reached on slavery. That however is more about your abysmal reading comprehension which i don't care to insist.

on robert Lee's character, no, he wasn't honorable, he was a slavery apologist who viewed blacks as property
    https://books.goo ...[text shortened]... pure fiction)
    https://cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/robert-e-lee-and-union-black-pows/
    So would you say that Michelle Obama would not regard General Lee as a wonderful human being?

YouTube : harvey
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 16:15

7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 16:39
    As we all know, the Civil war was not caused by a lack of compromise.

Only a buffoon would say that. No, the Civil war was a direct result of global warming.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 18:521 edit

9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 19:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    "The Compromise proved widely popular politically, and both parties committed
    themselves in their platforms to the finality of the Compromise on sectional issues."

Though factually correct, it's safe to say both parties' level of "commitment" was not extremely high, since a very long and destructive war followed a few years later.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 20:001 edit

11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 21:361 edit
    Another party soon formed and its candidates won the Congress and the Presidency.

It's fair to say that Republican Party had little use for the Compromise of 1850.

The Civil War was caused by certain slave States being outraged that Abraham Lincoln won the 1860 election. What "compromise" would have assuaged them is quite unclear.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 21:43

13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 03:242 edits
    Does Mchill expect political parties to follow faithfully every commitment in their platforms?

Mchill was not expecting anything Duchess. It was you who first mentioned the word "commitment" not I. Commitment is a matter of degree. If you could put your emotions aside for a moment you would notice that I was not disagreeing with what you wrote, only questioning the degree of commitment that both sides had.

Introducing a point of information regarding a historical event is hardly an attack on you Duchess, it's sad that your dislike of white males clouds your judgement in these debates, especially since some of your posts are quite interesting.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 10:10
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So would you say that Michelle Obama would not regard General Lee as a wonderful human being?

[youtubeharvey]r5lTpmF924Y[/youtube]
    we are talking about john kelly, someone in a position of power in the government of the biggest military power in the world.

what michelle obama said one time is irrelevant.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 10:40
    we are talking about john kelly, someone in a position of power in the government of the biggest military power in the world.

what michelle obama said one time is irrelevant.
    I'm guessing that Michelle Obama is smarter than Trump's entire cabinet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree