1. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 02:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    (Shrug) That's the argument that will be presented to the SCOTUS in a couple of years. Based on their prior standing cases, they will most likely accept it IMO.

In Clapper the very likely probability that plaintiff's actual communications would be intercepted was found to be insufficient to grant standing. That degree of possible intru ...[text shortened]... it; in general the conservatives have used standing doctrine to avoid such difficult questions.
    I think Alito finds standing based on Jones. Btw, are you deliberately misspelling Alito's name?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 02:54
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    I think Alito finds standing based on Jones. Btw, are you deliberately misspelling Alito's name?
    No. I'm in a rush; stop nitpicking.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 03:521 edit
    Snowden's revelations do not change standing doctrine. In a more recent case the government has claimed:

Because the ACLU cannot prove that any of its employees were surveilled under the program, they have no right to sue under a legal concept known as standing.

“Indeed, the chances that their metadata will be used or reviewed in a query are so spe ...[text shortened]... r,” the government wrote.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/07/spygate-snooping-standing/
    In short, anything that brings the Federal government power will be upheld and anything opposing it will be crushed.

There, that was easy. 😵
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 01:29
    Possibly the most likely scenario given the political headwinds is that Congress and/or the Executive Branch severely limits the use of "megadata" searches by the NSA by statute or regulation. And the SCOTUS then finds the present cases moot.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 01:481 edit
    Possibly the most likely scenario given the political headwinds is that Congress and/or the Executive Branch severely limits the use of "megadata" searches by the NSA by statute or regulation. And the SCOTUS then finds the present cases moot.
    Or judge Roberts could declare it a tax. 😵

I just love our federal stooges.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree