1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 19:424 edits
    Well I know you have all been waiting hanging on the edge of your seats as to whether judge Sotomayor would be confirmed as one of the Supremes. LOL. Well she has been!!

Now for the predictions. On the rictor statist scale of progressivism, what does she rank 1-10 currently? Also, after her tenure on the bench, how will she be rated? I'll go out on a limb and say a 10. She will do the statists proud.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 19:43
    -3?

somewhat lower than Harriet would have been?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 19:44
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    -3?

somewhat lower than Harriet would have been?
    Why only a 3?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 19:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well I know you have all been waiting hanging on the edge of your seats as to whether judge Sotomayor would be confirmed as one of the Supremes. LOL. Well she has been!!

Now for the predictions. On the rictor statist scale of progressivism, what does she rank 1-10 currently? Also, after her tenure on the bench, how will she be rated? I'll go out on a limb and say a 10. She will do the statists proud.
    I'd guess about an 8... something along the lines of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Maybe she'll pleasantly surprise us though, you never know. She's an intelligent person and, from what I can tell, a solid jurist, a dumb comment or two here and there notwithstanding.

A 10 would want to get rid of things like police officers, prisons and the military.
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 20:03

She is a 10 on that scale. Gun rights then property rights issues will be comming up soon. Those that have no use for firearms but own property should start looking ahead a bit. The fact that she is a Latina is about the only neat thing about it that I can see.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 20:12
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    She is a 10 on that scale. Gun rights then property rights issues will be comming up soon. Those that have no use for firearms but own property should start looking ahead a bit. The fact that she is a Latina is about the only neat thing about it that I can see.
    The thing is that her vote barely counts. In fact Kennedy's vote is really the only vote that does count on right-left political issues. It's hard for me to see Thomas, Alito, Roberts or Scalia crossing to the "liberal" side before Kennedy and it's equally hard to see Stevens, Ginsburg, Sotomayor or Breyer crossing to the conservative side before Kennedy.

It does happen occasionally as judges have their pet peeves (Scalia crosses to the liberal side, for example, to broadly give criminal defendants rights that appear in the Constitutional text). But it's rare for an 5-4 decision to not have Kennedy on the winning side.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 20:281 edit
    Statist scale? As in the States' Rights judicial activism of the late William Rehnquist? Would a ten mean that she defends the Constitution against such reactionary dogmas, or would a one indicate thus? Would you believe a five in either case?
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 20:49
    Why only a 3?
    10 is good, 1 is bad, right?

Souter was appt'd by Bush the elder!
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 23:50
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    10 is good, 1 is bad, right?

Souter was appt'd by Bush the elder!
    Nope, other way around. My bad. So on my scale I guess you mean a 7?
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 22:271 edit

She'll be above average. All Supreme court judges generally do a good job.😏
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 22:33
    Originally posted by bill718
    She'll be above average. All Supreme court judges generally do a good job.😏
    Not the ones who "approved" abortion.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 03:29
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Not the ones who "approved" abortion.
    Especially those that found that privacy is a right implied in the Bill of Rights.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree