1. Germany
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:06
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    You've bungled things. The Labour party was in power then. The conservative party has all but turned around the economy. While george Osborne was a doom monger, he certainly fixed the economy during his tenure as chancellor.
    Why do you think other governments did manage to make public finances sound while the Tories could not despite being in power since 2010?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:28
    Finnegan's attempts to take us straight back to the 1970's with his tried and tested disastrous ideas that brought Britain to its knees will never succeed.
    The fellow does indeed seem trapped in a time warp.

Flares and tank tops all round.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:471 edit
    You've bungled things. The Labour party was in power then. The conservative party has all but turned around the economy. While george Osborne was a doom monger, he certainly fixed the economy during his tenure as chancellor.
    Was Labour in power in Iceland?

"Gudrun Johnsen was on the special commission set up to learn lessons from Iceland's banking collapse.
    "The banks were 10 times the GDP of Iceland; 20 times the state budget. They were too big to bail out.
    "The stock market collapsed: 80% of the stock market was wiped out overnight. Shareholders were badly hurt. About every other business in Iceland became technically bankrupt.
    "97% of the banking sector collapsed in a matter of three days, ..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35485876

Was Labour in power in Ireland?
    https://www.mtholyoke.edu/~falve22h/classweb/recession/recession/Causes_of_Crash.html

Was Labour in power in America or Europe?
    "THE collapse of Lehman Brothers, a sprawling global bank, in September 2008 almost brought down the world’s financial system. It took huge taxpayer-financed bail-outs to shore up the industry. Even so, the ensuing credit crunch turned what was already a nasty downturn into the worst recession in 80 years. Massive monetary and fiscal stimulus prevented a buddy-can-you-spare-a-dime depression, but the recovery remains feeble compared with previous post-war upturns....

With half a decade’s hindsight, it is clear the crisis had multiple causes. The most obvious is the financiers themselves—especially the irrationally exuberant Anglo-Saxon sort, who claimed to have found a way to banish risk when in fact they had simply lost track of it. Central bankers and other regulators also bear blame, for it was they who tolerated this folly. The macroeconomic backdrop was important, too. The “Great Moderation”—years of low inflation and stable growth—fostered complacency and risk-taking. A “savings glut” in Asia pushed down global interest rates. Some research also implicates European banks, which borrowed greedily in American money markets before the crisis and used the funds to buy dodgy securities. All these factors came together to foster a surge of debt in what seemed to have become a less risky world."

http://www.economist.com/news/schoolsbrief/21584534-effects-financial-crisis-are-still-being-felt-five-years-article

The Labour party was indeed in power in the UK and New Labour's fascination with neoliberal economic orthodoxies has been exposed as a mistake. Labour is now learning from that mistake. The Tories are not, as the evidence amassed earlier demonstrates. Even so, Brown's government was able to stabilise the economy after the worst crash since 1929, a global - not a British - failure of financial markets and neoliberal orthodoxy. The recovery was choked off by Tory austerity and that remains a massive problem for the UK economy. Far from "saving" our economy, the Tories are wrecking it.

Now, get to grips with evidence and cut out the empty mantras.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:50
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The fellow does indeed seem trapped in a time warp.

Flares and tank tops all round.
    In the words of Tony Benn, "Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat..."
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 11:32
    Originally posted by finnegan
    In the words of Tony Benn, "Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat..."
    "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."

Margaret Thatcher
  6. Germany
    Moves
    01 May '17 11:44

Margaret Thatcher
    "The use of quantity of money as a target has not been a success. I'm not sure that I would as of today [2003, KN] push it as hard as I once did."

- Milton Friedman
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:57

Margaret Thatcher
    Yes. My point was valid as you clearly agree, so your earlier point is not.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:11
    Yes. My point was valid as you clearly agree, so your earlier point is not.
    I believe that my earlier point, that you wear flare trousers, is still valid.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 May '17 16:17
    I believe that my earlier point, that you wear flare trousers, is still valid.
    I will not defend my choice of trousers. The thought can be allowed to rest.

I believe it suits you and #tikka to avoid evaluating the Tory record, on which May asks to be judged.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 16:54
    I will not defend my choice of trousers. The thought can be allowed to rest.

I believe it suits you and #tikka to avoid evaluating the Tory record, on which May asks to be judged.
    Would you like me to evaluate the Tory record on the heavily bias information you provided?
  11. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:37
    Would you like me to evaluate the Tory record on the heavily bias information you provided?
    I provided a list of criticisms. I do not think it purports to be a balanced scorecard. Why would it be?

It may be that the Tories achieved something useful over the years - feel free to tell us about those hidden gems. If you can do that without telling direct lies it will be a bonus.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree