Just wondering...

Just wondering...

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Pusher of wood

Los Gatos, CA

Moves
27 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
If you wanted to talk about what benefits the middle class then I guess you'd have to start at least with at least a general definition.
Yes, frankly, I had trouble placing myself into a category, because while I consider myself actually quite wealthy, especially on the global scale, I have a tough time considering myself upper class. Because, really, I always thought the "upper class" was the class of power. And besides the ability to throw around some discretionary income, and to have the last word amongst a small group of coworkers, I pretty much have no power.

Somehow, in my mind, the lower class is the class of people that struggle to make ends meet. The upper class is the class that has the power to command. The middle class is everything in between. Those who play around with the 99% term, seem to favor a more wealth-based definition.

But I suspect many people consider a more strictly wealth-based definition.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Oct 11

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
Yes, and so what?
I was just suggesting that it might have been premature to make an assumption about his forthcoming insight. But now that he's revealed what it is, it's a moot point.

P

Moves
27 Oct 11

Originally posted by wittywonka
I was just suggesting that it might have been premature to make an assumption about his forthcoming insight. But now that he's revealed what it is, it's a moot point.
I just mentioned that I thought that I knew what he was getting at... I didn't assume that I knew, I just mentioned that I essentially had a guess.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
27 Oct 11

It depends where and in which country you live in!

-m.

MB

Moves
27 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
Okay. So most of us consider ourselves basically in the middle class.

Both political parties are constantly harping on helping the middle class. The right accuses the left of only caring about the poor and not the "middle class" and the left accuses the right of only caring about the rich and not the "middle class."

So, isn't all of this political rhetori the middle class tantamount to the "class warfare" we all (or most) profess to despise?
I am lower class. My income is so low I have not had to pay an income tax in years. I can manage this because I own my modest home and there is no mortgage. I am also very conservative with my money.

Yes, both parties are always saying they want to help the middle class. I've never heard the right accuse the left of only caring about the lower class though. I never hear democrats saying they want to help the lower class. As you correctly pointed out, both parties are always harping on helping the middle class.

Both parties seem to be keeping the upper class happy at the expense of the rest. I never hear either party say they want to help the lower class. Does that mean the lower class does not need the help?

The lower middle class is being pushed into the upper lower class (did I term those right?) so there is no preserving of the middle class at this time, so it is hogwash. The middle class does carry a lot of the tax burden though, so they need help there and the tax proposals lately will not help in that area that I've noticed.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Oct 11

Okay. So most of us consider ourselves basically in the middle class.

Both political parties are constantly harping on helping the middle class. The right accuses the left of only caring about the poor and not the "middle class" and the left accuses the right of only caring about the rich and not the "middle class."

So, isn't all of this political rhetori ...[text shortened]... the middle class tantamount to the "class warfare" we all (or most) profess to despise?
If the right accuses the left of only caring about the poor, it doesn't mean they're correct. I would say that the left cares about both the poor and the middle class. It is true, though, that the right only cares about the rich. The Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of Wall Street.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Oct 11

Originally posted by dryhump
Firmly middle class, myself. Are you one of those people who inherited their money that ATY hates?
I'm sure little snookum's Mommy and Daddy did everything they could to make their baby never have to be associated with those peasant "workers".

W
Pusher of wood

Los Gatos, CA

Moves
27 Oct 11

Originally posted by Metal Brain
I am lower class. My income is so low I have not had to pay an income tax in years. I can manage this because I own my modest home and there is no mortgage. I am also very conservative with my money.
Its interesting to me that you own a home with no mortgage, but still consider yourself lower class. Seems like home ownership is a little contradictory.

If a billionaire owns several mansions but never works, and never pays taxes I'd raise an eyebrow if he claimed to be in the lower class.

W
Pusher of wood

Los Gatos, CA

Moves
27 Oct 11
1 edit

Both parties seem to be keeping the upper class happy at the expense of the rest. I never hear either party say they want to help the lower class. Does that mean the lower class does not need the help?

The lower middle class is being pushed into the upper lower class (did I term those right?)
I actually hear a lot of political initiatives aimed at helping the lower class. Say for example, attempts to cover the uninsured that can't afford to pay. Or the attempts to cover illegal immigrant workers with education for their children.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I'm sure little snookum's Mommy and Daddy did everything they could to make their baby never have to be associated with those peasant "workers".
Was that to me?

MB

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by WoodPush
Its interesting to me that you own a home with no mortgage, but still consider yourself lower class. Seems like home ownership is a little contradictory.

If a billionaire owns several mansions but never works, and never pays taxes I'd raise an eyebrow if he claimed to be in the lower class.
It is all about income, but I see your point.
I also own 40 acres of land. I do have asset equity.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
28 Oct 11

It is all about income, but I see your point.
I also own 40 acres of land. I do have asset equity.
Do you own the mule too?

MB

Moves
28 Oct 11

Do you own the mule too?
I knew I was missing something.