1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 20:071 edit
    If this is too personal, just ignore...

But how many here do and do not consider themselves part of the "middle class"?

I'm going to hazard a guess that at least 3/4 of us consider ourselves among the middle class.

I have a point coming, but let's start with this question.
  2. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 20:191 edit
    I consider myself on the lower boundary of the upper class, but I strongly suspect I'm not in the infamous 1%. I've never entirely been sure what the cutoff of that magical 1% is, in terms of net worth or income or whatever the benchmark is.
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 20:29
    Originally posted by sh76

I'm going to hazard a guess that at least 3/4 of us consider ourselves among the middle class.

Upper middle class. My parents were lower middle class.

I think in the 1980s there was a poll which indicated that over 90 percent of the population identified as middle class.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 20:36

Upper middle class, but you sure couldn't tell by how we live!
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 20:43

Upper class, quite possibly in that infamous top percentile.
  6. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 21:19
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Upper class, quite possibly in that infamous top percentile.
    Firmly middle class, myself. Are you one of those people who inherited their money that ATY hates?
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 21:21

Considering my income is pretty much above the median income in the states and we are doing fairly well I would say middle class - possibly approaching the higher of the middle class.

I think I know what you are getting at and I think it is valid, but I'll let you make it until you get out of line 😛
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 21:24
    I'm a middle man.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 23:02

Poor, trailer park poor.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 23:08
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Considering my income is pretty much above the median income in the states and we are doing fairly well I would say middle class - possibly approaching the higher of the middle class.

I think I know what you are getting at and I think it is valid, but I'll let you make it until you get out of line 😛
    Surely he could "get at" any number of different things, considering the state of national political dialogue?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 23:12
    Okay. So most of us consider ourselves basically in the middle class.

Both political parties are constantly harping on helping the middle class. The right accuses the left of only caring about the poor and not the "middle class" and the left accuses the right of only caring about the rich and not the "middle class."

So, isn't all of this political rhetoric about preserving and helping the middle class just a lot of self-serving hogwash? We all want to identify with this group but the trend seems to be to always whine that this middle class is getting the short end of the stick.

When people complain that government or politicians forget or don't care about the middle class, are they really trying to glorify themselves while at the same times using the one remaining politically acceptable whine about maltreatment?

Is even discussing the maltreatment of the middle class tantamount to the "class warfare" we all (or most) profess to despise?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 23:19
    Okay. So most of us consider ourselves basically in the middle class.

Both political parties are constantly harping on helping the middle class. The right accuses the left of only caring about the poor and not the "middle class" and the left accuses the right of only caring about the rich and not the "middle class."

So, isn't all of this political rhetori ...[text shortened]... the middle class tantamount to the "class warfare" we all (or most) profess to despise?
    The very idea of identifying with a class, and creating political advantage toward one class or another is what the matter of factions in Federalist #11.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 03:42
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Surely he could "get at" any number of different things, considering the state of national political dialogue?
    Yes, and so what?
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 03:44

Is even discussing the maltreatment of the middle class tantamount to the "class warfare" we all (or most) profess to despise?
    I don't think so. I think the fact that the "middle class" is not completely well defined by many doesn't mean that it's class warfare.

I think the reason politicians bandy it about is that many, if not most, people see themselves as being in it and so pandering to that makes sense.

If you wanted to talk about what benefits the middle class then I guess you'd have to start at least with at least a general definition.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 04:05
    Rising into the lower middle class

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree