Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 02:38
    Discuss!
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 03:01
    I didn't think anything would top Chauvin getting stabbed but you've done it.

Well done.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 04:04
    One less bastard on the planet.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 05:22
    @vivify said
    I didn't think anything would top Chauvin getting stabbed but you've done it.

Well done.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 05:25
    @soothfast said
    Discuss!
    Kissinger's legacy?

Kissinger's death?

His weird name?

He wrote exceedingly well, that's about the highest compliment I could give in a eulogy.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 05:31
    @shavixmir said
    One less bastard on the planet.
    Yes, that is true. And he's not likely to get invited to any of Hitler's dinner parties in Hell. He'll have to get all his gossip second-hand through Nixon and Reagan.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 05:34
    @wildgrass said
    Kissinger's legacy?

Kissinger's death?

His weird name?

He wrote exceedingly well, that's about the highest compliment I could give in a eulogy.
    It's a big topic. His death is a biological fact, and his name on par with Dr. Strangelove. What's left is his legacy. Decades of it, in government and politics.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 05:38
    @soothfast said
    It's a big topic. His death is a biological fact, and his name on par with Dr. Strangelove. What's left is his legacy. Decades of it, in government and politics.
    Can you frame the debate question?
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 05:42
    @wildgrass said
    Can you frame the debate question?
    Overall, was Kissinger an able statesman who made a positive contribution to humanity, or was he not? There is no shortage of folks who say he has considerable blood on his hands.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 07:00
    @soothfast said
    Overall, was Kissinger an able statesman who made a positive contribution to humanity, or was he not? There is no shortage of folks who say he has considerable blood on his hands.
    The man was a right-wing kunt, with no grasp of effectual international diplomacy. He brought the world to edge of disaster; more than once, lots of his advice was utter madness and he supported many evil regimes.

I do not comprehend why Americans are so in love with him.
  11. Standard memberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 08:07
    @shavixmir said
    The man was a right-wing kunt, with no grasp of effectual international diplomacy. He brought the world to edge of disaster; more than once, lots of his advice was utter madness and he supported many evil regimes.

I do not comprehend why Americans are so in love with him.
    He, along with Nixon, also managed to extend the time America spent in Vietnam, costing even more young American lives than had already been wasted in the lost war.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 08:27
    @soothfast said
    Like most historically significant people it’s not black and white but a mixed bag of good, evil and average.
    His biggest evils were probably the carpet bombing of Cambodia simply because it was part of N Vietnam’s supply route to the south and his support of Pinochet and his coup.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 15:42
    @soothfast said
    Discuss!
    what's to discuss. that man's life had no value and the world is a better place without him in it
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 16:17
    @soothfast said
    His peace treaty with No. Vietnam, for which he was awarded a Nobel prize, “peace with honor”, was a complete sham. It sealed an ignominious defeat for America and sold the So. Vietnamese into Communist servitude.
  15. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Nov '23 17:31
    @soothfast said
    Discuss!
    I was never a fan of his political views, however like Charlie Munger (the late vice chair of Berkshire Hathaway) Kissinger maintained a structured day filled with reading, journaling, and work. Keeping one's mind active and focused on tasks requiring both creative and linear thinking seems to aid in longevity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree