Krugman and America's Left

Krugman and America's Left

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Apr 11

Originally posted by Seitse
I pick... I pick... what's behind curtain number 3!!
It's a goat.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 Apr 11

Originally posted by Palynka
It's a goat.
😵

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
30 Apr 11

Originally posted by sh76
Carter's ineffectiveness led to the success of the Reagan revolution.
Carter was a man of integrity. Owning up to the Panama Canal Treaty was the correct thing to do. Carter should have shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Begin and Sadat.

Carter surely gets a undeserved swipe by you and others.

K

Germany

Moves
30 Apr 11

Originally posted by badmoon
Carter was a man of integrity. Owning up to the Panama Canal Treaty was the correct thing to do. Carter should have shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Begin and Sadat.

It's the Israel thing, sh76 gets his knickers in a twist every time someone mentions it.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
01 May 11

Carter was a likable good old boy. He was the first President I recall being critiqued for governing by focus group, only they weren't even called that in those days.

I truly think he was over his head off the peanut farm, and his economy was the worst since the Great Depression.

Since then, he's managed to confirm he's a clueless bumbler, by making a career of building $100 K homes at a cost of $150 K with volunteer labor.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
01 May 11

Originally posted by Palynka
Interesting article:
http://nymag.com/print/?/news/politics/paul-krugman-2011-5/

On a side note, I may not have given Krugman enough credit. I have always found his blog opinions suffered from a tendency for hyperbole and exaggeration that I didn't care much for. Seems they could be deliberate and part of a strategy.
I think is is laughable that Obama takes heat for being not far left enough. On the heals of the worst midterm pounding in memory, the far left wanted him to do more?

For all his faults, Obama is a survivor, and would like a second term, with at least some support of his party in Congress. Had he done as suggested, he may have ended up with neither.

Also, the notion of the left's death is highly exagerated. Republican Presidents have been for the most part leftist, Nixon, Ford, and two Bushs moved the political center left arguably as much as the Democrats in between.

K

Germany

Moves
01 May 11

Originally posted by normbenign
Carter was a likable good old boy. He was the first President I recall being critiqued for governing by focus group, only they weren't even called that in those days.

I truly think he was over his head off the peanut farm, and his economy was the worst since the Great Depression.

Since then, he's managed to confirm he's a clueless bumbler, by making a career of building $100 K homes at a cost of $150 K with volunteer labor.
The worst since the Great Depression? Come on. Like I said, he was nothing special, but not nearly as bad as Reagan. During Carter's administration unemployment and public debt dropped.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
01 May 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It's the Israel thing, sh76 gets his knickers in a twist every time someone mentions it.
Gee, KN, thanks for the gratuitous shot.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
01 May 11
1 edit

Carter's got a lot of things, but integrity ain't one of them.

Edit: If "was" was really an operative word in your sentence, then perhaps we can come closer to agreement.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
01 May 11

.........Edit: If "was" was really an operative word in your sentence, then perhaps we can come closer to agreement.
...you're a starr, counselor!

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
01 May 11

Originally posted by kmax87
...you're a starr, counselor!
not Ken Starr, I hope.

😉

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
01 May 11

not Ken Starr, I hope.

😉
well your slight political bias suggests you're not independent, so no 😛

F

Moves
01 May 11

Gee, KN, thanks for the gratuitous shot.
What was 'gratuitous', the presumptuous intimacy of the feminine underwear reference, or being reminded that whatever form of underpants you actually do wear do seem to - allegedly - knot and chafe when certain topics come up?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
01 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
What was 'gratuitous', the presumptuous intimacy of the feminine underwear reference, or being reminded that whatever form of underpants you actually do wear do seem to - allegedly - knot and chafe when certain topics come up?
yes

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
01 May 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The worst since the Great Depression? Come on. Like I said, he was nothing special, but not nearly as bad as Reagan. During Carter's administration unemployment and public debt dropped.
You apparently live overseas. I lived here during both the Carter and Reagan administrations. Toward the end of Carter's we had a "misery index", and had what economists had thought impossible, double digit unemployment, interest rates, and inflation.

We also had a low point in foreign respect with a tin horn religious dictator kidnapping our entire embassy staff and holding them hostage for years.

It took over a year to turn the corner, but Reagan was re-elected in an unprecedented landslide in'84, not something that could have happened without the turnaround from the Carter hopelessness.