1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 10:57
    Interesting article:
    http://nymag.com/print/?/news/politics/paul-krugman-2011-5/

On a side note, I may not have given Krugman enough credit. I have always found his blog opinions suffered from a tendency for hyperbole and exaggeration that I didn't care much for. Seems they could be deliberate and part of a strategy.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 11:09
    Sí.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 11:52
    The American "Left" died somewhere in the late 70s.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 15:18
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Are you saying Krugman is not a social democrat?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 15:35
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Are you saying Krugman is not a social democrat?
    He is probably similar to moderate social democrats in Europe (haven't studied his articles much). But moderate social democrats in Europe get votes.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 15:391 edit
    He is probably similar to moderate social democrats in Europe (haven't studied his articles much). But moderate social democrats in Europe get votes.
    The Democrat party is not the monolithic entity your dismissals imply and just because its leadership moved it more to the right in recent decades, doesn't mean it's inevitable it remains there.

In the last elections, for example, there seemed to be a lot of votes in passing the impression it would move further to the left, for example. It hasn't turned out what many people expected but, like I said, it isn't at all inevitable that it won't eventually.

Did you read the article?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 15:51
    The Democrat party is not the monolithic entity your dismissals imply and just because its leadership moved it more to the right in recent decades, doesn't mean it's inevitable it remains there.

In the last elections, for example, there seemed to be a lot of votes in passing the impression it would move further to the left, for example. It hasn't turned o ...[text shortened]... e I said, it isn't at all inevitable that it won't eventually.

Did you read the article?
    Yes, I did. The Democrat party may move to the middle, of course, but these things are complicated in a two-party system, and further complicated by the fact that bribery is legal in the US.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 17:012 edits
    I wouldn't merely say it "died." I would say more it was slain by the wretched hopeless stagflation that enveloped the country at that time and the Carter administration's complete inability or unwillingness to do anything about it.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 17:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    I wouldn't merely say id "died." I would say more it was slain by the wretched hopeless stagflation that enveloped the country at that time and the Carter administration's complete inability or unwillingness to do anything about it.
    Well, there was stagflation in Europe in the 70s too. Carter wasn't too effective a president, but not nearly as bad as Reagan. I doubt stagflation is really responsible for the left's demise in the US.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 17:08
    I wouldn't merely say it "died." I would say more it was slain by the wretched hopeless stagflation that enveloped the country at that time and the Carter administration's complete inability or unwillingness to do anything about it.
    Strange. Unemployment dropped consistently for the vast majority of his time in office.

http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 02:17
    Well, there was stagflation in Europe in the 70s too. Carter wasn't too effective a president, but not nearly as bad as Reagan. I doubt stagflation is really responsible for the left's demise in the US.
    Carter's ineffectiveness led to the success of the Reagan revolution.
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 02:23
    I guess he could've froze wages as Reagan did. There's a conservative for you.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 08:35
    Carter's ineffectiveness led to the success of the Reagan revolution.
    With a little help from Khomeini.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 09:04
    Does anyone have anything to say about the article?
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 09:39
    Does anyone have anything to say about the article?
    I pick... I pick... what's behind curtain number 3!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree