1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 17:10
    @averagejoe1 said
    Does a guy who does not pay taxes have an obligation to another to protect his rights? Appears this matter has not been resolved. Can it not end well?
    Paying ones taxes discharges the obligation. Otherwise the obligation remains.

Note that if we lived in a society where no one ever violated anyone else's rights AND where there were never any disputes between individuals about what our rights were, then tax rates could fall to extremely low levels.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 17:22
    @averagejoe1 said
    Shav, are you obligated to protect my rights?
    See - this brings up the fascinating aspect of geography and borders - the REAL function of borders, which is a warning sign from your government that, "Beyond this point, for fiscal reasons, we can no longer guarantee that we will protect your rights."

Are there universal human rights that Shav and AvJoe would almost entirely agree should be respected? Probably - to a high degree. But will those rights be similarly protected by their respective countries? Not necessarily. Rights may be protected very differently on each side of the border.

If AvJoe goes to Shav's country, his rights may be defined very differently than what he is used to. This may be quite annoying to him.
  3. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 20:41
    @spruce112358 said
    See - this brings up the fascinating aspect of geography and borders - the REAL function of borders, which is a warning sign from your government that, "Beyond this point, for fiscal reasons, we can no longer guarantee that we will protect your rights."

Are there universal human rights that Shav and AvJoe would almost entirely agree should be respected? Probably - to ...[text shortened]... s may be defined very differently than what he is used to. This may be quite annoying to him.
    You segue to makiing this a 'border' topic? Geez. Easier to throw in the towel. Guess I should have said Sue instead ot someone who does not live where I live. Silly me. Should I re-write
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 20:52
    @AverageJoe1
    You put up the post by Shiv, should you protect MY rights? Unquote, so it wasn't a segway he was commenting on your post. You are the one who followed the line Shav wrote.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 11:48
    @sonhouse said
    @AverageJoe1
    You put up the post by Shiv, should you protect MY rights? Unquote, so it wasn't a segway he was commenting on your post. You are the one who followed the line Shav wrote.
    Right. My point was to ask a person of-my-society if they are obligated to protect my rights. The question still stands, what to do you think. I would ask Sleepy Guy, a USA citizen, if he is obligated to protect my rights.
    So, in hindsight, I erred in using Shav with that question. His society way different than that of the USA.
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 11:53
    @averagejoe1 said
    Right. My point was to ask a person of-my-society if they are obligated to protect my rights. The question still stands, what to do you think. I would ask Sleepy Guy, a USA citizen, if he is obligated to protect my rights.
    So, in hindsight, I erred in using Shav with that question. His society way different than that of the USA.
    Sleepyguy is obliged to help protect your rights. So am I. And I have to help protect Sleepyguy's rights. And you have to help protect my rights. etc.

But if you cross the border into Mexico, SUDDENLY, that entity that we paid for? The one that is supposed to protect all our rights equally? It has run out of money. It's WAY too expensive to protect your rights over there (would involve wars and conquest and regime change in Mexico - sheesh!) So there is a Border. And a sign that says, 'Here Abide Monsters'. So if you go, it is at your own risk!
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 13:06
    @spruce112358 said
    Sleepyguy is obliged to help protect your rights. So am I. And I have to help protect Sleepyguy's rights. And you have to help protect my rights. etc.

But if you cross the border into Mexico, SUDDENLY, that entity that we paid for? The one that is supposed to protect all our rights equally? It has run out of money. It's WAY too expensive to protect your rights over th ...[text shortened]... here is a Border. And a sign that says, 'Here Abide Monsters'. So if you go, it is at your own risk!
    Setting aside the protection (military funding) and conveniences (roads) and regulations (FAA), all paid for by our taxes, what is an example of a right, of yours, that I am obliged to protect?
    This question certainly whistles this issue down to the, well, the issue.
  8. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 13:49
    @averagejoe1 said
    Setting aside the protection (military funding) and conveniences (roads) and regulations (FAA), all paid for by our taxes, what is an example of a right, of yours, that I am obliged to protect?
    This question certainly whistles this issue down to the, well, the issue.
    You seem to be looking at this bilaterally like “I have to protect HIM.” Integrate. Sum over the space of all possible connections.

The government you (we) have constituted and delegated powers unto and pay for and support is charged with protecting ALL our rights simultaneously and EQUALLY. The machine is up and running, humming, idling. When a rights violation appears - anywhere inside THESE borders - it kicks into gear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree