Lebanon's there, Biden visited it

Lebanon's there, Biden visited it

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 May 09

originally posted by scherzo
I saw him today in Lebanon, and he promised to cut US support for the country if the Opposition won. Isn't this a little ridiculous? Why should the US State Department dictate the sovereignty of other sovereign nations with relatively (but in no way truly) democratic elections? There seems to be a trend of American leaders promising to support Third World countries only if they elect a pro-US or a US-backed government, and promising to cut support to these countries if they elect a government perceived by the US to be anti-American (which the Opposition is not -- their leading member did condemn 9/11). How is it that Biden thinks he can just do that?

I think the answer that many Americans would give you would be that the U.S.A. can give its money to whomsoever it wants to give its money to.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
[b]I saw him today in Lebanon, and he promised to cut US support for the country if the Opposition won. Isn't this a little ridiculous? Why should the US State Department dictate the sovereignty of other sovereign nations with relatively (but in no way truly) democratic elections? There seems to be a trend of American leaders ...[text shortened]... e you would be that the U.S.A. can give its money to whomsoever it wants to give its money to.
Such as billions upon billions to Indonesia 🙂

F

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
Such as billions upon billions to Indonesia 🙂
Mostly to Indonesia's military and - back in the day - to one of the 20thC's worst dictators, Soeharto. Helped him to keep murdering people who didn't help his and the U.S.'s concept of an "investor friendly environment" for 30 years. Yes, "...billions upon billions to Indonesia". Thanks for that.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
[b]I saw him today in Lebanon, and he promised to cut US support for the country if the Opposition won. Isn't this a little ridiculous? Why should the US State Department dictate the sovereignty of other sovereign nations with relatively (but in no way truly) democratic elections? There seems to be a trend of American leaders ...[text shortened]... e you would be that the U.S.A. can give its money to whomsoever it wants to give its money to.
Kinda corrupt, isn't it? The prospering parties will be determined solely on their support for the US.

P

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by scherzo
Kinda corrupt, isn't it? The prospering parties will be determined solely on their support for the US.
Will people only vote on that basis?

Should US aid be unconditional?

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by PsychoPawn

Absolutely. The US tax payer should be free to play politics in any region it chooses, and their money should be funnelled into as many projects as may compete with her own corporations. I mean competition is good, and the market always decides well.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
23 May 09

You do live in this world don't you?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
23 May 09

US aid should be to the parties that deserve it. I don't consider the Alliance to be an alliance that deserves US aid.

P

Moves
23 May 09

US aid should be to the parties that deserve it. I don't consider the Alliance to be an alliance that deserves US aid.
So it's not so much a complaint about the US interfering with another country's sovereignty, but more that they aren't interfering in the direction you would like?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
23 May 09

So it's not so much a complaint about the US interfering with another country's sovereignty, but more that they aren't interfering in the direction you would like?
Correct.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
24 May 09

Multiply that out by 10.5 million and make yourself welcome to the chaos principle that is the Palestinian question.

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 May 09

Correct.
double-standards?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
double-standards?
Perhaps. But the Opposition's case is far stronger than that of the Alliance.