Let the tax cuts remain!!

Let the tax cuts remain!!

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38467149

Nearly everyone agrees, this could stall any progress we have made for recovery,,, oops, how do we benchmark this recovery? By how many clunkers we got off the road last year?

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jul 10

The U.S. has had 4 consecutive quarters of growth, how much more recovery do you want before you totally bring down the economy due to undertaxation?

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The U.S. has had 4 consecutive quarters of growth, how much more recovery do you want before you totally bring down the economy due to undertaxation?
Growth? what is the unemployment rate right now,, that's what Joe Average looks at,, ?
You see growth..... I am here,, you are where??
To me growth means permanent jobs, unemployment below 6%......
Not these fly by night Obama programs,, IE half arsed road jobs, that last a summer,, census workers, who are already unemployed..... where is the investment in real jobs?
You know unemploment money is taxable income? What a joke.

So tell me how you do it better where you live?
tell me everyone there is happy,, nirvana right?

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
Growth? what is the unemployment rate right now,, that's what Joe Average looks at,, ?
You see growth..... I am here,, you are where??
To me growth means permanent jobs, unemployment below 6%......
Not these fly by night Obama programs,, IE half arsed road jobs, that last a summer,, census workers, who are already unemployed..... where is the investmen ...[text shortened]... tell me how you do it better where you live?
tell me everyone there is happy,, nirvana right?
I don't think everyone is "happy", but unemployment is low, yes.

If you want jobs, you can get them. Tanks are expensive. The same government money can buy much more teachers, nurses, cops, street cleaners, etc. than soldiers - and the former actually do productive work which boosts private enterprise too. Really, it's very easy to provide enough jobs, it's just a matter of political - and most importantly - electoral will for it to happen. Will voters punish Obama for an immediate withdrawal out of Iraq and Afghanistan? Yes, they will. And that means Obama can't use that public money for meaningful investment in the economy and/or tax breaks.

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre66s5wl-us-usa-fed/

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10

I don't think everyone is "happy", but unemployment is low, yes.

If you want jobs, you can get them. Tanks are expensive. The same government money can buy much more teachers, nurses, cops, street cleaners, etc. than soldiers - and the former actually do productive work which boosts private enterprise too. Really, it's very easy to provide enough job ...[text shortened]... ma can't use that public money for meaningful investment in the economy and/or tax breaks.
I agree, fighting a war is a drain on the budget.
The worse war ever fought by this country, was our own civil war. This war freed the slaves. I often wonder what our country would be like, had someone not stood up and said, NO this is not the way it should be!

Now, who will stand for the other peoples of the world, who are ravaged by dictators, or religious factions?
Who will stand up for women in other countries that are beaten and stoned to death? Do we just turn our heads and hope that someone will change that?
Didn't the USA help the Netherlands during WWII?

At some point, someone has to take a stand. It will be unpopular with some, but it is not right to turn our heads and pretend it doesn't happen.

Maybe you have a different view point of the Taliban? Am I wrong, should they be allowed to rule? How would you approach the situation, what would you do, if you had the ability to make a difference? Would you risk your own life, for that of another?

Sorry, I strayed from the topic. If we see a day when everyone is happy, it will be in Heaven...

E

Moves
30 Jul 10

If you want jobs, you can get them. Tanks are expensive. The same government money can buy much more teachers, nurses, cops, street cleaners, etc. than soldiers

Teachers, cops and street cleaners are not federal employees, they are state and city employees.

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by Eladar
[b]If you want jobs, you can get them. Tanks are expensive. The same government money can buy much more teachers, nurses, cops, street cleaners, etc. than soldiers

Teachers, cops and street cleaners are not federal employees, they are state and city employees.[/b]
Who cares? That's an administrative issue, not a conceptual one.

E

Moves
30 Jul 10
1 edit

Who cares? That's an administrative issue, not a conceptual one.
Who cares? I care. You want the Federal Governemnt to finance things it should never be financing to begin with. The money you want the Federal government to tax to pay for the jobs shouldn't be taxed at all, at least not by the Federal government.

I'm glad to see that you agree that the Feds shouldn't spend so much money! Spend less on the Federal level and put more power back at the local level so that money can go into the local economy! I'm loving it! I'm in total agreement.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
30 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
http://www.cnbc.com/id/38467149

Nearly everyone agrees, this could stall any progress we have made for recovery,,, oops, how do we benchmark this recovery? By how many clunkers we got off the road last year?
When Bush and Co. took office they took over a country with a big federal surplus, and a decent economy, and look what they left us with! I have news for you...if you want to start repaying this massive deficit, it takes TAX MONEY, get it? Unless of course you want to pony up the money yourself. Letting these tax cuts remain will only prolong our deficit sutuation. China won't bail us out forever, I say we start paying our bills, rather than hiding from them. (What a novel idea that would be!) Nearly everyone agrees? Speak for yourself!😏

E

Moves
30 Jul 10

I'm sure Obama's hoping that the swing voters will buy the "it's Bush's fault" line. Although I'm not sure that it would take a bad economy to get rid of Obama with is push on Universal Healthcare and the taxes that will go along with it.

Bush was a cut and spend idiot, but Obama's spending far outstrips anything Bush ever did.

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by bill718
When Bush and Co. took office they took over a country with a big federal surplus, and a decent economy, and look what they left us with! I have news for you...if you want to start repaying this massive deficit, it takes TAX MONEY, get it? Unless of course you want to pony up the money yourself. Letting these tax cuts remain will only prolong our deficit sut ...[text shortened]... ing from them. (What a novel idea that would be!) Nearly everyone agrees? Speak for yourself!😏
I believe that Bush had 2 years of his term where democrats were the majority? I also believe several democrats were responsible for the housing bubble,, Does the name Chris Dodd remind you of anything?
Obama ran the race on several key issues,,, how has he done so far?
Eladar is right about teacher salaries and schools. That is where my property tax goes. My Federal tax money is used to file a Law suit against Az, even though they are only doing what the federal Government has failed to do. Protect our border. Then some will go to build a new Library in honor of Ted Kennedy,, I hope they paste a picture of the girl who drown in his car, right near the door. One place I don't mind my money going,, is over the Mts and threw the air, in the form of a Tomahawk missle aimed at any viable target in Afghanistan....