Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 16 Sep '09 11:39 / 2 edits
    It appears that the American political rhetoric has degenerated to the point of no return. We have Joe Wison on one side screaming that Obama is a liar and on the other side Harry Reid screaming that Bush was a liar about various other things. Well guess what, they were both right, however, for what reason are they made public spectacles? It is my contention that this increased rhetoric is a desperate attempt on the part of both parties to try and preserve political partisanship, and nothing more. It is an attempt to try and further poisen the well so that people are moved with emotion rather than stepping aside and intellectually sizing up both parties. After all, without such emotion and partisanship, where will their support come from?

    To help prove my point just stand back and watch what happens to these known liars which is NOTHING other then a display of public humiliation. This is because neither side wants to take the next step, which would be to make them accountable. For if one side begins down this road, they know that they are next and that is a price that is simply to high to pay.
  2. 16 Sep '09 14:10 / 1 edit
    Ultimately, it's the people that have to hold politicians accountable. People who behave badly need to be replaced.

    Unfortunately, it appears that far from being humiliated, Joe Wilson has become a celebrity, with a proliferation of stuff like "You Lie" T-shirts and bumper stickers. Someone who would otherwise have been totally forgotten by anyone outside his district is now a household name.
  3. 16 Sep '09 15:22
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Ultimately, it's the people that have to hold politicians accountable. People who behave badly need to be replaced.

    Unfortunately, it appears that far from being humiliated, Joe Wilson has become a celebrity, with a proliferation of stuff like "You Lie" T-shirts and bumper stickers. Someone who would otherwise have been totally forgotten by anyone outside his district is now a household name.
    Hopefully the tea parties that are going on now will eventually hold them accountable and not be used to simply feed into mindless partisanship. I suppose we will see.
  4. 16 Sep '09 16:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    Hopefully the tea parties that are going on now will eventually hold them accountable and not be used to simply feed into mindless partisanship. I suppose we will see.
    Don't hold your breath - on either side.
  5. 17 Sep '09 00:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    It appears that the American political rhetoric has degenerated to the point of no return. We have Joe Wison on one side screaming that Obama is a liar and on the other side Harry Reid screaming that Bush was a liar about various other things. Well guess what, they were both right, however, for what reason are they made public spectacles? It is my contenti ...[text shortened]... down this road, they know that they are next and that is a price that is simply to high to pay.
    Deceptive smoke and mirrors it I say it is yes uh hum you becha.
  6. 17 Sep '09 15:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    It appears that the American political rhetoric has degenerated to the point of no return. We have Joe Wison on one side screaming that Obama is a liar and on the other side Harry Reid screaming that Bush was a liar about various other things. Well guess what, they were both right, however, for what reason are they made public spectacles? It is my contenti ...[text shortened]... down this road, they know that they are next and that is a price that is simply to high to pay.
    Wilson was wrong. Reid was right.
  7. 18 Sep '09 00:39
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Wilson was wrong. Reid was right.
    Then what is Obama's plan for treating illegals medically? Is it to kick them out in the streets or pick up the tab?
  8. Standard member sbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    18 Sep '09 00:54
    A fool and his money are soon elected.

    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.

    Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.

    People are getting smarter nowadays; they are letting lawyers, instead of their conscience, be their guide.

    You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is.

    --Will Rogers, 1879-1935