1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 07:15
    I am a Liberal, from a blue state on the west coast. I'm also 64 and a business owner who has worked all my adult life and never been on public assistance. Many of my business clients are Conservatives from red states such as Georgia and Texas. My clients are good, hard working people, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends. Though we vote for different candidates, we understand the framers of our Constitution did a pretty good job in designing our government. We also understand that our Government is not our enemy, and that without it we would all be poorer and more vulnerable to hostile governments who would seek to victimize us. We focus on our work, provide for our families, and seek to make our communities good places to live.

Maybe it's time for Liberals and Conservatives to stop letting their respective media outlets do their thinking for them, and start thinking for themselves. We're not so different-
  2. Germany
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 07:46
    @mchill said
    I am a Liberal, from a blue state on the west coast. I'm also 64 and a business owner who has worked all my adult life and never been on public assistance. Many of my business clients are Conservatives from red states such as Georgia and Texas. My clients are good, hard working people, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends. Though we vote for different candidates, we under ...[text shortened]... media outlets do their thinking for them, and start thinking for themselves. We're not so different-
    Though we vote for different candidates, we understand the framers of our Constitution did a pretty good job in designing our government.

Problem is the folks who came after them didn't do a very good job of updating it.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 08:00
    @mchill said
    I am a Liberal, from a blue state on the west coast. I'm also 64 and a business owner who has worked all my adult life and never been on public assistance. Many of my business clients are Conservatives from red states such as Georgia and Texas. My clients are good, hard working people, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends. Though we vote for different candidates, we under ...[text shortened]... media outlets do their thinking for them, and start thinking for themselves. We're not so different-
    I'm from the govt. and I'm here to help.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 03:32
    @kquinn909 said
    I'm from the govt. and I'm here to help.
    Liberals and Conservatives are mile apart, don’t get your drift.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 04:43
    @mchill said
    Libertarians are both.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 04:50
    @mchill said
    Yeah, we can develop a greater sense of respect for each other. We probably should if we expect our union to survive.

... and if we cannot do it here on these forums, how can we expect to do it in real life? After all, I think it would be fair to say that the average person who wishes to dsicuss politics on the internet is probably more invested in politics, right, and thus is more likely to be invested in political dialog.

If we cannot set a proper tempo, then what chance do people with less invested and less interest have..?
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 05:09
    @averagejoe1 said
    Liberals and Conservatives are mile apart, don’t get your drift.
    I'm not surprised
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 05:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 06:35
    @philokalia said
    Yeah, we can develop a greater sense of respect for each other. We probably should if we expect our union to survive.

... and if we cannot do it here on these forums, how can we expect to do it in real life? After all, I think it would be fair to say that the average person who wishes to dsicuss politics on the internet is probably more invested in politics, right, and ...[text shortened]... e cannot set a proper tempo, then what chance do people with less invested and less interest have..?
    The difficulty with your second paragraph is that not everyone who contributes to these forums is interested in constructive dialogue. So even if you intend to have a reasoned debate a troll acting for the right or the left or just out of malice finds it easy to derail discussion. In "real life" the risk of that happening is much lower. Of course in "real life" the difficulty is finding someone willing to have the discussion.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 07:38
    @mchill said
    Unfortunately groups focus on their differences.

Seems the problem is mainly fear of those differences..
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 11:13
    @mchill said
    You left out the Leftists.

I don't think liberals and Leftists are the same thing. From my vantage point, liberals have good intentions and wish to protect things like freedom of speech, but Leftists simply want control and will shout you down and censor any of your political views they deem "offensive".

Unfortunately, the two continually get confused because liberals are often apologists for Left wingers and vote for them.

The Left simply want abject control over all aspects of society, except when it comes to killing your unborn baby or having sex or taking drugs. Those are the only freedoms they wish for us to have.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree