Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Oct '15 16:54
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/20/us-canada-election-idUSKCN0SD17X20151020

    Some excerpts:

    The Liberals seized a Parliamentary majority, a turn in political fortunes that smashed the record for the number of seats gained from one election to the next. The center-left Liberals had been a distant third place party before this election.

    The photogenic son of former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau pledged to run a C$10 billion annual budget deficit for three years to invest in infrastructure and help stimulate Canada's anemic economic growth.

    Trudeau has said he will repair Canada's cool relations with the Obama administration, withdraw Canada from the combat mission against Islamic State militants in favor of humanitarian aid and training, and tackle climate change.


    An omen for the US and Bernie Sanders in 2016?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Oct '15 17:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/20/us-canada-election-idUSKCN0SD17X20151020

    Some excerpts:

    The Liberals seized a Parliamentary majority, a turn in political fortunes that smashed the record for the number of seats gained from one election to the next. The center-left Liberals had been a distant third place party before this election.

    The ...[text shortened]... id and training, and tackle climate change.


    An omen for the US and Bernie Sanders in 2016?
    I don't think Bernie Sanders has more than, say, a 2% chance of becoming President. But I would choose him over Hillary or Biden. At least Sanders would try new policies and see how they work. If they don't work, we could always undo them.
  3. 20 Oct '15 17:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't think Bernie Sanders has more than, say, a 2% chance of becoming President. But I would choose him over Hillary or Biden. At least Sanders would try new policies and see how they work. If they don't work, we could always undo them.
    Undoing bad law is always nearly impossible.
  4. 20 Oct '15 18:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76 to No1Marauder
    I don't think Bernie Sanders has more than, say, a 2% chance of becoming President. But I would choose him over Hillary or Biden.
    At least Sanders would try new policies and see how they work. If they don't work, we could always undo them.
    I suspect that most Americans perceive Bernie Sanders as further to the political left than
    most Canadians perceive Justin Trudeau. I perceived Stephen Harper as hard right-wing.

    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/20/justin-trudeau-canada-prime-minister-stephen-harper-is-gone

    "I'm glad Justin Trudeau is Canada's new leader, but only because Harper is gone."
    --Michelle Dean

    That sums up how I feel about Canada's election.
  5. 20 Oct '15 18:44
    Originally posted by normbenign to Sh76
    Undoing bad law is always nearly impossible.
    So says Normbenign, a fanatical supporter of the CSA's unlawful secession from the USA.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Oct '15 19:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Undoing bad law is always nearly impossible.
    The welfare reform signed into law by Bill Clinton rolled back federal welfare to a large extent.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_and_Work_Opportunity_Act

    Most programs can be rolled back if the political will exists,
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Oct '15 19:11
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I suspect that most Americans perceive Bernie Sanders as further to the political left than
    most Canadians perceive Justin Trudeau. I perceived Stephen Harper as hard right-wing.

    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/20/justin-trudeau-canada-prime-minister-stephen-harper-is-gone

    "I'm glad Justin Trudeau is Canada's new leader, but only because Harper is gone."
    --Michelle Dean

    That sums up how I feel about Canada's election.
    In addition to his political agenda, that he is a self-described socialist, that he is old, Jewish and not very charismatic, also works against his chances of being elected. If Justin Trudeau were American and were running for President and had a similar message to Bernie Sanders, he's have a better chance at being elected than does Sanders.
  8. 20 Oct '15 20:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    In addition to his political agenda, that he is a self-described socialist, that he is old, Jewish and not very charismatic, also works against his chances of being elected. If Justin Trudeau were American and were running for President and had a similar message to Bernie Sanders, he's have a better chance at being elected than does Sanders.
    I like Bernie Sanders in general, but I am not hopeful that he will be elected US President.
    Some admirers of Bernie Sanders seem ruled more by their hearts than their heads.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Oct '15 20:37
    Originally posted by sh76
    In addition to his political agenda, that he is a self-described socialist, that he is old, Jewish and not very charismatic, also works against his chances of being elected. If Justin Trudeau were American and were running for President and had a similar message to Bernie Sanders, he's have a better chance at being elected than does Sanders.
    That's probably true but I think the weakness of Clinton and the likelihood of the Republicans nominating a buffoon give him a real shot. Polling says most voters agree with him on the issues esp. economic ones.
  10. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    20 Oct '15 21:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's probably true but I think the weakness of Clinton and the likelihood of the Republicans nominating a buffoon give him a real shot. Polling says most voters agree with him on the issues esp. economic ones.
    Sanders vs. Trump. Gawd.

    Looks like I'll have to read up on Webb.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Oct '15 02:30
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Sanders vs. Trump. Gawd.

    Looks like I'll have to read up on Webb.
    Is Perot running?
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    21 Oct '15 11:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    Is Perot running?
    Perot vs. Trump? That would have been one for the ages.
  13. 21 Oct '15 12:06
    Nixon publically exclaimed that Trudeau would be the Prime minister some day decades ago.

    I guess Canada is like the US in that they have their royal family line as well.

    Maybe the Clintons and Trudeaus can intermarry and bring the two kingdoms together as one.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Oct '15 13:13
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Perot vs. Trump? That would have been one for the ages.
    I think Perot could have made an okay President, though his height and squeaky voice no doubt doomed him from the start,
  15. 21 Oct '15 15:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/20/us-canada-election-idUSKCN0SD17X20151020

    Some excerpts:

    The Liberals seized a Parliamentary majority, a turn in political fortunes that smashed the record for the number of seats gained from one election to the next. The center-left Liberals had been a distant third place party before this election.

    The ...[text shortened]... id and training, and tackle climate change.


    An omen for the US and Bernie Sanders in 2016?
    Good thing he promised to take on Climate Change. Does that mean it'll be warmer in the Yukon in winters to come?