1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 20:31
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    There's only one poster I can think of who would say this sort of thing, and his user name starts with an "F", guess who it is.
    Ph-Em-Ph?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 22:24
    the problem was that certain member of the coalition government, made election promises that they would not raise university fees and now that they have renegaded on those promises the students are incensed. Sigh, if only it was like America where people like Sarah Palin can pander to moronic republicans with purely emotional appeals deviod of content, the students would have toddled along, thinking that their protests were unpatriotic.
  3. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 23:46
    Originally posted by generalissimo

...."What does the plan mean for students?.
    It means that if they want something, they might actually have to pay for it themselves.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 00:03
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    It means that if they want something, they might actually have to pay for it themselves.
    That's right, because every student who graduates doesn't pay taxes for the rest of their working life. 🙄
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 02:054 edits
    I was slightly peeved that I got back into education just after the bar was raised in two years prior to starting and had to owe more; but to be honest it's not so big a deal...either

1) One doesn't go to university, and make a living on, or close to mimimum wage with little prospect of earning beyond the tier at which students have to pay back their debts or...
    2) One gets a good education, and then either fails to find good employment so they like those in (1) fail to earn beyond the payback theshold, or they find good and rewarding employment and give back some (though not a crippling amount) of the coinage that would have been denied to them without going to uni anyway.

Is it fair the next lot of students pay more than us? No of course not; but in spite of this unfairness they still get a good deal by virtue of paying nothing back at all if they're in the same boat when they finish as before they started.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 03:10
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I was slightly peeved that I got back into education just after the bar was raised in two years prior to starting and had to owe more; but to be honest it's not so big a deal...either

1) One doesn't go to university, and make a living on, or close to mimimum wage with little prospect of earning beyond the tier at which students have to pay back their debts ...[text shortened]... ying nothing back at all if they're in the same boat when they finish as before they started.
    I was slightly peeved that I got back into education just after the bar was raised in two years prior to starting and had to owe more...
    Let me guess: Engrish Composition?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 03:221 edit
    No...maths actually. I can't be arsed with the ad hominems challenge today, you get that one for free.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 04:06
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    The government ran out of other people's money to give them. Made them mad.
    Amazingly, that really pretty much sums it up.
  9. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 04:25
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That's right, because every student who graduates doesn't pay taxes for the rest of their working life. 🙄
    Everybody's looking for a hand out.

Pathetic.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '10 09:19
    Why shouldn't students pay for their education? Many are only at uni for the "experience" and to get pissed out of their stupid skulls. If an education is worth having it will get you a decent job, if however you choose to read Bulgarian picket fence and soil studies, then I'm afraid evolution has selected you to sweep the roads.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Dec '10 18:27
    I love it when government officials (and union officials, coming to think of it) come on TV telling us that it's okay to demonstrate, but that violence is bad and will not lead to anything constructive.

Give me an I
    Give me an R
    Give me a A
    Give me a Q

What's that spell?
    What's that spell?

HYPOCRITE.

Or it should.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Dec '10 22:07
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Anybody else watching this?
    They are covering live on Fox.
    Its starting to look a little rough.
    The cops just did a Calvary charge into the crowd.
    Firstly the violence appears to be organised by "rent-a-mob" and the NUS leaders had nothing to do with it.

Secondly their grievance seems very just. When they graduate they will be competing with other graduates from previous years and getting similar jobs BUT have to be substantially MORE tax. That is penalising people for the year they were born in!

Thirdly the new system will NOT give an extra tax-burden to those that fail to get higher paid jobs - ie jobs which never required a degree. So it favours those going to Uni for "the experience". That is NOT fair.

Finally: what sort of country wants to penalise the very people who will make it prosperous in the future?

In my opinion:
    University places need to be slashed; entrance requirements need to be increased; tertiary education courses should be tailored for the job market; all tertiary education needs to be FREE.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 03:32
    They went after Prince Charles & Carmilla, shouting off with their heads.

The car they were in looked like it was quite a mess, neither were hurt.

I saw it on the late news last night.

Why would the Police take them down a street the protest was going on?
  14. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 03:38
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Why would the Police take [Prince Charles & Camilla] down a street the protest was going on?
    Mohamed Al-Fayed. That's all I'm going to say.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 04:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    Amazingly, that really pretty much sums it up.
    Why not raise taxes on those who make above (pick arbitrary number so long as the majority outnumbers them) because the dirty bastards are greedy and we deserve their money!! 😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree