Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 23 Aug '10 04:33
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_bi_ge/us_taj_mahal_schools;_ylt=AhfR7vYwHpws17sr_L.B51qs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJoazRqczB2BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODIzL3VzX3Rhal9tYWhhbF9zY2hvb2xzBHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bl9tb3N0X3BvcHVsYXIEc2xrA2xhdW52ZWlsczU3OA--

    http://tinyurl.com/25tvawp

    LA unveils $578M school, costliest in the nation
  2. 23 Aug '10 04:33
    although, it IS a K-12 school, not just K-6, and it IS being built with bond funds, it's not like it's costing the taxpayers anything.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    23 Aug '10 04:43
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_bi_ge/us_taj_mahal_schools;_ylt=AhfR7vYwHpws17sr_L.B51qs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJoazRqczB2BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODIzL3VzX3Rhal9tYWhhbF9zY2hvb2xzBHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bl9tb3N0X3BvcHVsYXIEc2xrA2xhdW52ZWlsczU3OA--

    http://tinyurl.com/25tvawp

    LA unveils $578M school, costliest in the nation
    What are you proposing we debate?
  4. 23 Aug '10 04:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    What are you proposing we debate?
    just be patient, and wait for the grownups.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    23 Aug '10 05:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    just be patient, and wait for the grownups.
    Perhaps you should have asked them for a debate topic for your OP?
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    23 Aug '10 11:34
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    although, it IS a K-12 school, not just K-6, and it IS being built with bond funds, it's not like it's costing the taxpayers anything.
    Correct. It's not costing the taxpayers. It's costing the fools who will buy California bonds at this point.

    Seriously. Who would buy California bonds right now? Maybe the Chinese?
  7. 23 Aug '10 11:58
    Who are the idiots in the California government who would approve such a thing?
  8. 23 Aug '10 12:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Who are the idiots in the California government who would approve such a thing?
    People like you, who are always claiming that the poor folks don't have the same quality of educational facilities that the better off neighborhoods have.
    This half billion dollar turkey will be a wasteland and covered in grafitti in 2 years.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    23 Aug '10 12:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    People like you, who are always claiming that the poor folks don't have the same quality of educational facilities that the better off neighborhoods have.
    This half billion dollar turkey will be a wasteland and covered in grafitti in 2 years.
    The state could pay nothing and convert the yearly operating costs to vouchers for parents to spend at the private schools of their choice and get much better results in terms of student achievement.

    Then California could waste the $578m on 12 new museums that no one will visit.
  10. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    23 Aug '10 16:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    Then California could waste the $578m on 12 new museums that no one will visit.
    I would visit them. If I live in California, that is.
  11. 23 Aug '10 16:26
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    People like you, who are always claiming that the poor folks don't have the same quality of educational facilities that the better off neighborhoods have.
    This half billion dollar turkey will be a wasteland and covered in grafitti in 2 years.
    People like me think public schools should be affordable and small-scale.
  12. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    23 Aug '10 16:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    People like me think public schools should be affordable and small-scale.
    My father actually attended a one room schoolhouse. He turned out pretty well.
  13. 23 Aug '10 17:30
    Originally posted by rwingett
    My father actually attended a one room schoolhouse. He turned out pretty well.
    I did too for one year. It was in California as well. K-6 in one room.
  14. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    23 Aug '10 18:00
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I did too for one year. It was in California as well. K-6 in one room.
    But you didn't turn out so well.
  15. Subscriber Scotty70
    Super IT/Telco man
    23 Aug '10 23:48 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But you didn't turn out so well.
    It's not the school building that counts, it's the dedication of the teachers and parents and the willingness of the students to learn that counts.
    I once held tutoring classes in the back of a bus during the hour ride home (I was a substitute teacher) and all passed with flying colors.