1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 11:30
    It looks like a joke but it really happened.

I'll just one relevant part of this article: http://www.newschannel9.com/news/couple-992252-emergency-wife.html

In officer Dave's written affidavit, he writes "defendant stopped in the ER entrance and jumped out and ran. Police made contact with Defendant at the passenger side of his vehicle and I grabbed the defendant’s arm and he pushed me away scraping my arm with his fingernail. Defendant yelled and said it was an emergency…”

“Defendant pushed through the crowd and carried a female back into the emergency room and place her in a room with no permission of the hospital staff,” Daves writes.

But the ER staff was in fact waiting for Wright and his wife.

So to save his own stupid and ignorant a$$ the police officer had to invent some facts to give more credit to his story.

This husband gave clear signs that he was on an emergency the whole time and after arriving at the hospital the police officer had to act like al dick failing to acknowledge that a emergency situation was indeed happening and putting at risk the wife's life:

"The officer followed me into the emergency room and repeatedly entered the patient room to approach me and repeatedly interrupted the patient care," Wright said. "The other medical professionals had to push him aside and inform him it's not appropriate and he needed to wait outside."
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 11:47
    Yeah there's nothing to argue about here assuming the facts given are accurate. Cop sounds a little screwy.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 12:12
    Yes. Can't see what the debate is here. Surely it's just a kind "Well fancy that!" story? Better suited to the General Forum, maybe. USArmyParatrooper's choice of OP for a 'police behaviour' thread was an inspired bit of kindling for a truly absorbing and abrasive debate.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 13:41
    Unless this obvious mistake also leads to an actual conviction, I don't see much to debate here, either.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 14:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Unless this obvious mistake also leads to an actual conviction, I don't see much to debate here, either.
    I'd say the case is relevant to the discussion about Police Brutality in the main thread because: A) Posters in that thread have claimed that you must immediately obey any command of an officer or you can be legitimately arrested; obviously the husband here did not obey the officer's commands and stubbornly insisted on continuing to bring his wife into the emergency room; and B) It shows that some police have no qualms at all about making false statements in charging instruments (a point I had raised).

There is absolutely no certainty that this incident won't result in a conviction though it would seem a sane DA would not want to precede with charges.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 14:35
    The Chattanooga Police Department has said the officer did nothing wrong and a trial date has been set for July 9th (not that an actual trial will take place that quickly):

Lt. Kim Noorbergen, Chattanooga police spokeswoman, said there was a supervisory complaint filed against Officer Daves following the incident. The officer's supervisor, Sgt. Anthony Easter, reviewed the complaint and determined that "no policy violations, rules or procedures or laws were broken," she said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jun/19/newlyweds-want-answers-for-arrest/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree