1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 01:52
    Due to rising costs in the wake of Iceland's financial crisis, and the country's sparse population, McDonald's has announced it will close its three locations in Iceland, never to return. Should Icelanders weep or rejoice over this decision?
  2. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 01:56
    Sounds like a bum economy is an excuse. McDonalds normally thrives on bad economy. You know, empty wallet = inexpensive food.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 02:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Due to rising costs in the wake of Iceland's financial crisis, and the country's sparse population, McDonald's has announced it will close its three locations in Iceland, never to return. Should Icelanders weep or rejoice over this decision?
    Actually it is a good decision. In fact, that is what President Obama is working on for the US.
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 02:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually it is a good decision. In fact, that is what President Obama is working on for the US.
    Obama is going to decimate 90% of the US population? Now I know that they debunked the death panel idea, but maybe they did so prematurely!!
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 04:40
    is iceland raising taxes that much?
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 06:59
    The Starbucks will arrive soon!
  7. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 07:27
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Sounds like a bum economy is an excuse. McDonalds normally thrives on bad economy. You know, empty wallet = inexpensive food.
    In Iceland, McDonalds is not inexpensive.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 07:31
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    is iceland raising taxes that much?
    It would seem that in the aftermath of the economic meltdown in Iceland, the population is leaning towards the Scandinavian model.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 07:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It would seem that in the aftermath of the economic meltdown in Iceland, the population is leaning towards the Scandinavian model.
    Depending on the condition of the model, chances are most people would lean toward them.
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 08:18
    Originally posted by Seitse
    The Starbucks will arrive soon!
    It is Taco Bell's chance to take over Iceland!
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 08:34
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You forgot to mention Icelands protectionism which means everyone in Iceland has to pay to maintain inefficient local businesses. MacDs have their own standards to maintain which local suppliers couldn't raise themselves to. The people of Iceland are poorer for it.
  12. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 09:48
    Originally posted by joneschr
    It's all about currency exchange rates. A burger would need to be very expensive for icelanders in order for macdonalds to make the profits they want. Also, apparently, macdonalds don't like the complex business laws over there, and can't really be bothered with all that expensive paperwork.
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:16
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    It's all about currency exchange rates. A burger would need to be very expensive for icelanders in order for macdonalds to make the profits they want. Also, apparently, macdonalds don't like the complex business laws over there, and can't really be bothered with all that expensive paperwork.
    they allegedly prefer the break rape and escape business model pioneered back in the day when victims of sexual assault were usually considered to be the cause of their affliction (they were asking for it, they should not have sent mixed signals, they were dressed immodestly etc...)
  14. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:33
    Originally posted by kmax87
    they allegedly prefer the break rape and escape business model pioneered back in the day when victims of sexual assault were usually considered to be the cause of their affliction (they were asking for it, they should not have sent mixed signals, they were dressed immodestly etc...)
    Sorry, no matter how many times I read your post I can't see the connection between our posts. Or are you making the unconnected point that they are without morality? If so I agree. They sold their souls for money, and only behave ethically if the law requires it or if it leads to more profits due to better PR.
  15. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:54
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    They sold their souls for money, and only behave ethically if the law requires it or if it leads to more profits due to better PR.
    Thats about it!

PS, Your sarcasm/wit of them not being able to cope with paperwork allowed me a tangential seque

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree