1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Nov '15 19:35
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Really creepy. It ends up being a British comedian poking fun at American healthcare, and taking a long time getting to his point. Don't the Brits have enough social problems of their own?
    John Oliver may be British by birth, but he has a long record of broadcast work in the US, including many years on The Daily Show.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '15 21:12
    Really creepy. It ends up being a British comedian poking fun at American healthcare, and taking a long time getting to his point. Don't the Brits have enough social problems of their own?
    did he say anything that isn't untrue?
    did he exaggerate something?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '15 23:22
    If you get Medicaid, everything you have of worth gets taken upon death. You will give nothing to the next generation. Everything you have is actually on load to you and goes back to the government upon your death.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '15 23:47
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If you get Medicaid, everything you have of worth gets taken upon death. You will give nothing to the next generation. Everything you have is actually on load to you and goes back to the government upon your death.
    Alarming isn't it? Not really.

It's limited to the recovery of costs for services rendered. Usually the only significant value-bearing asset will be the beneficiary-owned equity in a house (otherwise because of their other significant assets such as investments they wouldn't be eligible for medicaid) and then the house would be exempt if there is a surviving spouse or minor dependent living there (yet another opportunity to discriminate against same sex marriage). This is because the house and a car are not counted in determining medicaid eligibility but are counted in recovery of costs after death (or upon sale).

www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-medicaid-recovers-the-cost-long-term-care-from-your-estate-after-you-die.html

Reportedly there are ways to avoid the hit. Life estate or irrevocable trust.

"For many people, setting up a "life estate" is the simplest and most appropriate alternative for protecting the home from estate recovery."

http://www.elderlawanswers.com/protecting-your-house-from-medicaid-estate-recovery-12155
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 00:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    Alarming isn't it? Not really.

It's limited to the recovery of costs for services rendered. Usually the only significant value-bearing asset will be the beneficiary-owned equity in a house (otherwise because of their other significant assets such as investments they wouldn't be eligible for medicaid) and then the house would be exempt if there is a survivin ...[text shortened]... ry."

http://www.elderlawanswers.com/protecting-your-house-from-medicaid-estate-recovery-12155
    It is alarming.

It is called generational poverty. What little you have to give to your child gets taken from you.

Medicaid isn't a Social Safety Net, it is a way to ensure that those who have little will always have little.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 00:58
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It is alarming.

It is called generational poverty. What little you have to give to your child gets taken from you.

Medicaid isn't a Social Safety Net, it is a way to ensure that those who have little will always have little.
    "It is called generational poverty. What little you have to give to your child gets taken from you."

yes, it is much better to die and leave your kids orphans and with your grand fortune with which you couldn't buy a health insurance than to keep living and able to provide for your kids.

i think i can safely say this is the dumbest thing i heard all week.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 13:15
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "It is called generational poverty. What little you have to give to your child gets taken from you."

yes, it is much better to die and leave your kids orphans and with your grand fortune with which you couldn't buy a health insurance than to keep living and able to provide for your kids.

i think i can safely say this is the dumbest thing i heard all week.
    So what's the healthcare situation in Romania like?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 14:19
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    So what's the healthcare situation in Romania like?
    this link will explain:
    http://bfy.tw/2cbe
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 14:47
    this link will explain:
    You do like just supplying links.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 14:57
    You do like just supplying links.
    especially to questions that have nothing to do with the topic.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 14:57
    this link will explain:
    Well, I could ask Google, but I'd rather hear about it from an actual Romanian.

Makes sense, doesn't it?
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 14:59
    Well, I could ask Google, but I'd rather hear about it from an actual Romanian.

Makes sense, doesn't it?
    sure. make a thread titled "health care in romania". if anyone cares they might engage in the discussion.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 15:05
    sure. make a thread titled "health care in romania". if anyone cares they might engage in the discussion.
    You probably won't care, will you?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 15:09
    especially to questions that have nothing to do with the topic.
    Health care can be in some ways relative. Since you seem not to like the US system, it is fair to ask you about how Romania compares. It doesn't need to be comprehensive, just some of the basic differences, those that you know and love.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 15:15
    You probably won't care, will you?
    it pains me to humor your attempt to derail the topic. this would be the last reply on this.

if someone is genuinely interested in the topic "romanian health care" and considers worthwhile a discussion on the matter and makes a thread on it, i will participate and offer my opinion.

this thread is about how medicaid expansion depends in many states on the whims of politicians who would kill it based solely on some randian religious reason.
    this thread is about informing future voters on subjects that interest them and why they should take interest in local elections instead of worrying about what trump or carson said lately in debates that won't matter for another year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree