Medicare Facts

Medicare Facts

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
Then we'll either have to control costs or raise additional revenues. Insuring the elderly shouldn't be that hard; every other wealthy country (and many non-wealthy ones) have health insurance for everybody.
Controlling cost is what the The Wyden-Ryan plan does.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by normbenign
"1. Traditional Medicare works better, and more cheaply, than most private-insurance plans."

This is a baseless assertion believed by uninformed people. Medicare in its very first year of operation had cost exceeding estimates by 10x. Any private insurance company with that poor actuarial estimates would have gone bust immediately. And in fact Medic ...[text shortened]... Insurance and market in general don't work well with government dictating the rules.
norm's preposterous versions of history are usually not worth debunking but the Ted Kennedy created HMOs is really bizarre even by his standards. Here's the facts:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/rgs_dissertations/RGSD172/RGSD172.ch1.pdf

Footnote 8: An early example of this trend was Governor Ronald Reagan’s use of HMOs in the establishment of the Medi-Cal program,
California’s version of Medicaid. Although HMOs didn’t change the nature of the funding, it was hoped that they would
keep costs under control

And:

In the late 1960s and early 1970s political conservatives embraced the HMO concept as an
alternative to socialized medicine.
Paul Starr provides an insightful analysis of this
development. “A remarkable change had taken place. Prepaid group practice was originally
associated with the cooperative movement and dismissed as a utopian, slightly subversive idea.
The conservative cost minded critics of medical care now adopted it as a more efficient form
of management.

With support from a broad coalition in Congress, President Nixon secured the passage of the
HMO Act of 1973.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by utherpendragon
Controlling cost is what the The Wyden-Ryan plan does.
No it doesn't. It shags off costs to seniors, but does nothing to control them.

HG

Moves
19 Aug 12
1 edit

this subject can and has been debated until the cows come home. all I can offer is my own experiences,, medicare sucks compared to my old United health care plan... I am paying out of pocket for medicines I use to pay 10 dollar co-pays for, and one of them seems to go up every darn month..... from 38 to 47 now...
copaxone was a 50.00 co-pay, now it's 1400.00? I was very lucky to have been given a site that offers grants for it, so I get by. Who pays for the grant, no clue...

C-Pap machine.. recent sleep study suggested I need help breathing at night..so there is a chip in the machine, so they can tell if you are using it..medicare will not pay if you.1 do not see the sleep center Dr within 90 days of getting it, and have not averaged greater than 4 hours for 21 of 30 consecutive days... I have a hard enough time falling asleep with out a mask on my face.. so.... I lay there and pretend to be sleeping..
ambien, ambien CR are not covered, unless diagnosed with narcolepsy, both were covered by UHC..... MS people have a hard time sleeping,, so....
I just don't how anything could work, for everyone.

Now lets talk dental hey? 7000.00 out of pocket so far this year....

w

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
I would have to see the facts,, how is it paid for, nothing is free..Do I want my children burdened by me..no.
You would have to pass it to find out what is really inside it. 😛

Moves
19 Aug 12

No it doesn't. It shags off costs to seniors, but does nothing to control them.
Exactly - Ryan would stick it to the middle and lower classes - a favorite republican pastime.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by kbear1k
Exactly - Ryan would stick it to the middle and lower classes - a favorite republican pastime.
Why do you give such childish responses ?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Aug 12

MEDICARE FACT: Underneath Medicare's beard is another fist.

HG

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by kbear1k
ya right, explain how social security will help my two children when they are old enough to use it? PONZI SCHEME started by the DEMOCRATS....

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
19 Aug 12

norm's preposterous versions of history are usually not worth debunking but the Ted Kennedy created HMOs is really bizarre even by his standards. Here's the facts:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/rgs_dissertations/RGSD172/RGSD172.ch1.pdf

Footnote 8: An early example of this trend was Governor Ronald Reagan’s use of HMOs in the establishment of ...[text shortened]... m a broad coalition in Congress, President Nixon secured the passage of the
HMO Act of 1973.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Maintenance_Organization_Act_of_1973

http://firedoglake.com/2009/08/28/ted-kennedys-legacy-and-the-nixon-healthcare-deal-that-wasnt/

So both there was bipartisan deception and over exuberance over what HMOs would do, ignoring both market and human responses.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Aug 12

Originally posted by normbenign
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Maintenance_Organization_Act_of_1973

http://firedoglake.com/2009/08/28/ted-kennedys-legacy-and-the-nixon-healthcare-deal-that-wasnt/

So both there was bipartisan deception and over exuberance over what HMOs would do, ignoring both market and human responses.
You do realize that those links (esp. the second) completely refute your claim that Ted Kennedy "created" HMOs?

HG

Moves
20 Aug 12

Why would anyone who values their health, assign their health care over to a government that's $16 trillion in debt with no end in sight?

Moves
20 Aug 12

Why do you give such childish responses ?
Because it is true - did you not take the time to read the plan? Or are you just not capable of understanding it.

HG

Moves
20 Aug 12
1 edit

If you are talking about future seniors ,Gen Xers and beyond, they are really gonna get screwed under the currnt system because there won't be any medicare by then. We will be totally bankrupt.
B-I-N-G-O

Kind of off topic, if you had 200K to invest, who would you trust to invest it, Obama, or Romney?

F

Moves
20 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
this subject can and has been debated until the cows come home. all I can offer is my own experiences,, medicare sucks compared to my old United health care plan... I am paying out of pocket for medicines I use to pay 10 dollar co-pays for, and one of them seems to go up every darn month..... from 38 to 47 now...
copaxone was a 50.00 co-pay, now it's 140 ...[text shortened]... ve been given a site that offers grants for it, so I get by. Who pays for the grant, no clue...
You clearly want someone to pay for your health care.

Who?