1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 16:182 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    My landlord is a middle-aged woman in a wheelchair. To find a tenant she hired a real estate agent, and to handle the maintanance of the apartment she hires a maintenance company. Other than that, she does very little (which is fortunate, because she is incapable of doing regular work).
    Well, it's nice that she generates the revenue to hire two people to work for her in handling her building and sweet that you actually pay your rent.

Yes, if your apartment generates enough $$ to hire people to do the work for you and the tenants actually pay their rent, being a landlord is fine.

If you want to buy a single family residence and rent it out (ATY's $200k isn't going to buy him an apartment building; maybe a condo or a small house somewhere), you're not going to generate the cash to hire someone to worry about the house.

I once was in the position to have to rent out a house while trying to sell it. It was a nightmare. Calls at work about there being bugs in the kitchen. Calls at home that a fuse blew. Hiring and paying for exterminators and electricians. Making sure the lawn is mowed. Worrying about the tenants not paying rent on time. Worrying about skyrocketing property tax. Calls from the town that the tenants were leaving the garbage outside for removal in an improper manner. It was like an extra job. I would not want to go through that again. If I had $200k to invest, I'd pick some nice mutual funds or something. I darn sure wouldn't buy an investment property and rent it out.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 17:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    You obviously have no idea what a pain in the neck it is to be a landlord.
    I have a friend who got into fights with the people in her condo. She now rents out the condo. No problems and no dramas.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 18:31
    Warren Buffett agrees with me about buying houses.

tinyurl.com/94jvpmr
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 23:49
    Well, it's nice that she generates the revenue to hire two people to work for her in handling her building and sweet that you actually pay your rent.

Yes, if your apartment generates enough $$ to hire people to do the work for you and the tenants actually pay their rent, being a landlord is fine.

If you want to buy a single family residence and rent it ou ...[text shortened]... utual funds or something. I darn sure wouldn't buy an investment property and rent it out.
    It sounds like hell, no wonder why you took that job in a coal mine!
  5. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 00:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm aware of that. But in the end seniors will get screwed once Ryan's abolition plan goes into effect.
    And they don't get screwed when there are no Dr's that will accept medicare.. wow.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 16:40
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    And they don't get screwed when there are no Dr's that will accept medicare.. wow.
    Is that really the right wing fairy tale? That no doctors will accept Medicare if reimbursements get cut?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 17:41

If you want to buy a single family residence and rent it ou ...[text shortened]... utual funds or something. I darn sure wouldn't buy an investment property and rent it out.
    So give your nephew a cut of the rent to take care of all that stuff.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree