1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 19:34
    Canada imposes visa requirements on Czechs, Mexicans

By THE CANADIAN PRESS – 19 hours ago

OTTAWA — Travellers from Mexico and the Czech Republic will require visas to get into Canada, effective this week - a move that earned swift rebukes from both countries.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced the measures Monday in separate news releases.

Canada lifted a visa requirement on the Czech Republic in October 2007. Since then nearly 3,000 Czech nationals have made refugee claims, compared with less than five in 2006, many of them Roma claiming discrimination at home.

"In addition to creating significant delays and spiralling new costs in our refugee program, the sheer volume of these claims is undermining our ability to help people fleeing real persecution," Kenney said in a release.

"All too often, people who really need Canada's protection find themselves in a long line, waiting for months and sometimes years to have their claims heard. This is unacceptable."

Refugee claims from Mexico have almost tripled since 2005, making it the No. 1 source country for claims for refugee status in Canada.

Over the first two days of the restriction, people travelling to Canada from either country can apply for entry on arrival at a border crossing. But beginning Thursday, a visa will be required.

Kenney said more than half the claims made by people from the Czech Republic are abandoned or withdrawn before a final decision is made on their status, an indication that many may be making false claims.
    And he said only 11 per cent of Mexican claims processed by the Immigration and Refugee Board in 2008 were accepted.

Czech Foreign Minister Jan Kohout said the action was unprecedented against a European Union member and a war ally in Afghanistan.
    He indicated to the Associated Press that the Czechs are likely to impose visas on Canadians travelling to the country.

Canada's embassy in Prague says 653 refugee claims were made in the first quarter this year. Human-rights organizations have repeatedly accused the country of discriminating against its 250,000 Roma minority.

The measure also drew fire from Mexico City.

"The government of Mexico regrets the decision by the government of Canada, announced today, to impose visas on Mexican nationals travelling to Canada as tourists," said a release issued late Monday.

"During the past few months Mexico has held consultations with Canadian authorities to assess other measures to deal with the problem of fraudulent claims.

"Furthermore, Mexico will continue to promote actions toward modifying the Canadian measure as soon as possible."

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

-----------

So Mexicans are number one place when it comes to begging Canada to take them as refugees.

What's a refugee? Well, a refugee is a person who fears persecution if they go back to their country. Fear of persecution usually means a serious chance of physical harm or detention or some other form of cruel and unusual punishment. In some cases discrimination or harassment could be considered serious enough to amount to persecution.

The question of debate is: how come Mexico can be such a paradise and at the same time have their people escaping?

Moreover, when is the world going to react to the violent, horrendous reality that Mexico is living? Pressure from the international community is needed so Mexico reacts and its government starts protecting its people... a task in which it has failed miserably.

Or are the Mexican refugee applicants just taking the piss?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 19:39
    Here's another pearl from Mexico...

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2009/07/13-4

Basically, Human Rights Watch (HRW) is asking the US State Department not to certify Mexico's compliance with the Merida Initiative's human rights requirements.

That would mean not releasing the loads of cash for Mexico under the Merida Initiative, a multi-year regional aid package to help address the increasing violence and corruption of heavily armed drug cartels.

Why the US has to send money to Mexico? Why not the Mexicans instead hang their corrupt officials andend with part of the cancer? Hey, if they do that, 50% of the drug traffickers would die!
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:09
    MORELIA, Mexico – Twelve people tortured, slain and dumped along a mountain road in a drug-plagued Mexican state were off-duty federal agents, an official said Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090714/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_drug_war
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:151 edit
    Yeah, scary, and it's not the first time. Moreover, did you see in the news the attacks with grenades?

Man, it's a battle zone!

Now, check this out, you'll crack laughing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7938904.stm

Edit. "Inside Mexico's most dangerous city" by the BBC (with video)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7959247.stm
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:18
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Yeah, scary, and it's not the first time. Moreover, did you see in the news the attacks with grenades?

Man, it's a battle zone!

Now, check this out, you'll crack laughing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7938904.stm
    Yeah, I heard about the grenades, as well as the military style guerrilla ambushes with automatic weapons and a disciplined fall back plan. These sick bastards need to be STOPPED!

Maybe Mexico needs to adopt our "Don't Tread on Me" flag. It might stiffen the spine of some of the good guys.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Yeah, I heard about the grenades, as well as the military style guerrilla ambushes with automatic weapons and a disciplined fall back plan. These sick bastards need to be STOPPED!

Maybe Mexico needs to adopt our "Don't Tread on Me" flag. It might stiffen the spine of some of the good guys.
    Maybe, it wouldn't be a bad idea to stiff the spine of some of the guys. I'll keep the 'good' or 'bad' aside, lol.

BTW, I have some family in Reynosa and a cousin got trapped kind of in the middle of last year's street confrontation between Federales and the cartel people. Man, one of them took video with the mobile and I saw it later when it arrived by email... it's frightening, you know, to hear the cracking of the automatic rifles.

Back in the old days, people dealing with drugs appeared sometimes dead in the middle of nowhere. Now the problem is in the heart of the towns. It's amazing there's still idiots who claim that "all is fine" in Mexico.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:31
    Of course it's easy for me to talk about stiffening peoples' spines while sitting on my LAPD, Coast Guard etc protected butt.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:361 edit
    Canada imposes visa requirements on Czechs, Mexicans

By THE CANADIAN PRESS – 19 hours ago

OTTAWA — Travellers from Mexico and the Czech Republic will require visas to get into Canada, effective this week - a move that earned swift rebukes from both countries.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced the measures Monday in separate news releases has failed miserably.

Or are the Mexican refugee applicants just taking the piss?
    Czech refugees? Refugees from what? Are the Slovaks getting feisty?
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 00:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    As soon as Jaromir Jagr goes back home to play in the Czeck Rep., the Czechs start running away.

Coincidence?

I think not.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 01:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What do you call someone who gets thrown out of a bar in Prague?

A bounced Czech.
  11. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 04:43
    Maybe, it wouldn't be a bad idea to stiff the spine of some of the guys. I'll keep the 'good' or 'bad' aside, lol.

BTW, I have some family in Reynosa and a cousin got trapped kind of in the middle of last year's street confrontation between Federales and the cartel people. Man, one of them took video with the mobile and I saw it later when it arrived by em ...[text shortened]... the towns. It's amazing there's still idiots who claim that "all is fine" in Mexico.
    ah, good ol but same ol seitse.

so you still don't get it, do you?

lower homicide rates mean you may get scared and piss in your pants watching your cousin's video, but you're actually safer in the vast majority of Mexican territory than you are in the vast majority of most of Latin America.

scare of guns, kid? then why'd you pick a homeboy profile before?

I get the impression you spent as much time NOT studying and shaking in your boots as I spend studying and moving myself up by the bootstraps. You just took off and ran to Europe and from a nice safe distance say that some of us must be idiots because we don't revel in the media attention for drug violence in certain areas.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 06:432 edits
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    ah, good ol but same ol seitse.

so you still don't get it, do you?

lower homicide rates mean you may get scared and piss in your pants watching your cousin's video, but you're actually safer in the vast majority of Mexican territory than you are in the vast majority of most of Latin America.

scare of guns, kid? then why'd you pick a homeboy pro ...[text shortened]... be idiots because we don't revel in the media attention for drug violence in certain areas.
    So why don' you go and live there? Of course not, you're full of crap and your big mouth competes only with your rear. Keep shining shoes for Mr. Smith.

You just demonstrate that any imbecile can be tough behind a keyboard. Live with it, kiddo... to talk the talk is easy. Walking the walk... oh well, you'er exhibit 'A'.

Edit. Studying?! LOL, you have not studied even the ABC, little jerk... or at least it doesn't show, sitting behind that desk like a slave. Enjoy your retirement in Florida!
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 06:43
    Originally posted by sh76
    What do you call someone who gets thrown out of a bar in Prague?

A bounced Czech.
    LOL
  14. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 12:20

BTW, I have some family in Reynosa and a cousin got trapped kind of in the middle of last year's street confrontation between Federales and the cartel people. Man, one of them took video with the mobile and I saw it later when it arrived by em ...[text shortened]... the towns. It's amazing there's still idiots who claim that "all is fine" in Mexico.
    Estoy de viaje de vacaciones al lago de Pátzcuaro en un par de semanas. No tengo ninguna preocupación de que voy a tener un seguro y agradable visita.

No estoy diciendo Mexico no tiene problemas o zonas inseguras. Estoy diciendo que Mexico tiene muchos lugares agradables y pacífica donde la gente no debería ser juzgado por las acciones de los delincuentes en otros ámbitos.

Mexico tiene problemas políticos y los problemas de la delincuencia, pero eso no significa que el resto del mundo debería comdemn todos los mexicanos.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 12:51
    Originally posted by MacSwain
    Estoy de viaje de vacaciones al lago de Pátzcuaro en un par de semanas. No tengo ninguna preocupación de que voy a tener un seguro y agradable visita.

No estoy diciendo Mexico no tiene problemas o zonas inseguras. Estoy diciendo que Mexico tiene muchos lugares agradables y pacífica donde la gente no debería ser juzgado por las acciones de los delincuent ...[text shortened]... delincuencia, pero eso no significa que el resto del mundo debería comdemn todos los mexicanos.
    Disfruta tu viaje.

México es buen lugar para ir de vacaciones. No es un buen lugar para vivir. Son cosas diferentes.

Si decides vivir ahí, entonces envíame un PM después de unos cuantos años y quizá tu opinión sea diferente (excepto que vivas en Santa Fe o en algún barrio exclusivo para extranjeros o familias con dinero).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree