1. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 01:25
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    You do hit on one of the big "problems" of modern life. There are so many options -- no matter what you end up choosing, you end up feeling like you're missing out on something even better. In the past, you had no choice but to accept your lousy lot in life and be happy with your measly corner of existence.

Your today, you have so many CHOICES!! -- you ...[text shortened]... ch richer than people were a couple centuries ago, many of us are actually more miserable.
    Damn straight!
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html
    I guess we're going to end up having to choose which choices we leave other people to make for us...
  2. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 01:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't think it is a matter of too many choices as it is a state of limbo. You could argue that these choices create a state of limbo, and I suppose there is some credibility in this ascertion, but it need not be the case.

Really what I am saying is that kids are only exposed to what goes on at school and learn about ivory tower academics instead of lear ...[text shortened]... ir fortune. For them, high school was a big time waster in terms of pursuing their fortunes.
    Multimillionaires tend to be the people who are adept at sticking to their best choices. You don't need to learn the physics of how the earth orbits the sun to run a business... so why bother?

I'd guess that schools nowadays should be geared more towards teaching children how to acquire knowledge, and how to use that knowledge... teach them a core of the main principals from economics, the natural environment, anthropology, political science, history, geography and languages then help them learn about what they're interested in.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 01:55
    Originally posted by mrstabby
    I'd guess that schools nowadays should be geared more towards teaching children how to acquire knowledge, and how to use that knowledge...
    Don't forget that whodey is nostalgic for unbridled 19thC capitalism and he's only in favour of basic health provison for those who have enough money. It is not yet clear whether he actually supports the idea of schools for all.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 09:16
    I don't think it is a matter of too many choices as it is a state of limbo. You could argue that these choices create a state of limbo, and I suppose there is some credibility in this ascertion, but it need not be the case.

Really what I am saying is that kids are only exposed to what goes on at school and learn about ivory tower academics instead of lear ...[text shortened]... ir fortune. For them, high school was a big time waster in terms of pursuing their fortunes.
    If only! Now that I am an ivory tower academic myself, I look back at my time in primary and secondary school and realize just how ordinary those teachers were.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 15:253 edits

Really what I am saying is that kids are only exposed to what goes on at school and learn about ivory tower academics instead of lear ir fortune. For them, high school was a big time waster in terms of pursuing their fortunes.
    This is a very good point. Why is it that 90% of the education process consists of kiddies (even when they're 20 yrs old) sitting in a classroom listening to lectures, reading textbooks, taking multiple choice tests, and writing the occasional term paper? And almost all of it spoonfed to them as if they were 5-yr-olds.

And why is it that very little time is spent on showing the kiddies what actually goes on in an office, or a factory, or a courtroom. Very little time is spent on showing the kiddies what the owner of a business actually does - or what a governor actually does - or what a scientist actually does - or even what parents and teachers actually do.

But none of this appears on the SAT so why bother?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    I taught in inner city schools in the U.K. for six years. All my colleagues were real people who knew plenty about real life. Not a single one of them was an "ivory tower academic". In fact the suggestion you make is an unusually hackneyed cliche, at least in the U.K. Ordinary teachers have often had all manner of jobs, they pay a mortgage, they raise kids, they ...[text shortened]... n. What's not 'real life' about it? I've heard this lazy cliche of yours a thousand times.
    Case in point is the fact that you are taught everthing from history to physics but are taught NOTHING about how to handle money. Kids are often taught in college about money, only after running up emense credit card debt. In fact, you might argue that this is one of the most important aspects of ones education. After all, how often do you apply physics to your everyday life? In a country that is drowning in debt, I think it high time to give the people of that country an education with a fighting chance!!

BTW: I thought you might at least compliment me on starting a thread that is a little different than what I usually start. Oh well, guess not. In fact, its a continuation of abuse from FMF. :'(
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:211 edit
    I thought you might at least compliment me on starting a thread that is a little different than what I usually start.
    It is yet another misery guts thread. I cannot remember a single, substantial constructive point about anything from you in 2009. Whinge whinge whinge. It's like you're aware that your trousers stink of piss, but you refuse to change them, and sit in the lounge with everybody else anyway. I posted a response to your hackneyed rubbish about the alleged problems that teachers have with the "real world" and your comeback is just more whinge, whinge, smell of piss, whinge, negativity. Oh so you think education is not about the development of the individual? It's just about gaining the bare minimum skills to live the life of a drone? Change your trousers, for pete's sake.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Don't forget that whodey is nostalgic for unbridled 19thC capitalism and he's only in favour of basic health provison for those who have enough money. It is not yet clear whether he actually supports the idea of schools for all.
    Putting words in my mouth once again? I am all in favor of helping the poor, so long as it does not bankrupt everyone else. There are other ways to do so other than giving the power to politicians who use our tax money like their own personal ATM. Just ask Senator Nelson of Nebraska about that, to name a few. The amount of theft in the NHC bill is appalling. In addition, they are covering more people than the current system, and at the same time saying the current system is not sustainable and needs reform. You do the math. 🙄
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:28
    Putting words in my mouth once again? I am all in favor of helping the poor, so long as it does not bankrupt everyone else. There are other ways to do so other than giving the power to politicians who use our tax money like their own personal ATM. Just ask Senator Nelson of Nebraska about that, to name a few. The amount of theft in the NHC bill is appalli ...[text shortened]... e same time saying the current system is not sustainable and needs reform. You do the math. 🙄
    What's this return to the broken record got to do with modern day youth? You've just questioned the value of knowledge of physics and advocated using 'education' to teach youth to 'count money' instead. Your world view is dark, dreary and, metaphorically, piss-stinking. No offence intended.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    It is yet another misery guts thread. I cannot remember a single, substantial constructive point about anything from you in 2009. Whinge whinge whinge. It's like you're aware that your trousers stink of piss, but you refuse to change them, and sit in the lounge with everybody else anyway. I posted a response to your hackneyed rubbish about the alleged problems t ...[text shortened]... he bare minimum skills to live the life of a drone? Change your trousers, for pete's sake.
    With this kind of response, another aspect of our educational system is woefully lacking. Namely, teaching kids morality and how to treat others with a hint of respect and kindness. It reminds me of a teenager I heard about in a local high school that was raped in her study hall. The teacher that was questioned that was suppose to be watching the kids made some kind of remark along the way about it not being her job to teach kids moralilty, thus, teaching them the right and wrong way to engage in sexual relations.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:321 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    This is a very good point. Why is it that 90% of the education process consists of kiddies (even when they're 20 yrs old) sitting in a classroom listening to lectures, reading textbooks, taking multiple choice tests, and writing the occasional term paper? And almost all of it spoonfed to them as if they were 5-yr-olds.

And why is it that very little ti ...[text shortened]... en what parents and teachers actually do.

But none of this appears on the SAT so why bother?
    Thank you, although FMF is probably fuming that someone actually agrees with even a little bit of what I have already said. You do realize that you are probably on FMF's "list" now don't you? LOL.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:32
    It reminds me of a teenager I heard about in a local high school that was raped in her study hall. The teacher that was questioned that was suppose to be watching the kids made some kind of remark along the way about it not being her job to teach kids moralilty, thus, teaching them the right and wrong way to engage in sexual relations.
    Well I am sorry you feel the need to compare me to a rapist. Par for the course I suppose.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I am sorry you feel the need to compare me to a rapist. Par for the course I suppose.
    When did I compare you to a rapist? I was merely comparing "bad" behavior in general and not trying to equate such behavoir by degrees.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:35
    With this kind of response, another aspect of our educational system is woefully lacking. Namely, teaching kids morality and how to treat others with a hint of respect and kindness.
    You regularly accuse people of being Nazis and perpetrators of geniocide. At the drop of a hat, indeed. So, no lectures on respect and morality from you thank you very much.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 04:361 edit
    When did I compare you to a rapist? I was merely comparing "bad" behavior in general and not trying to equate such behavoir by degrees.
    Did my response remind you of a woman who strangled her baby with an electrical cable? Or was that some other time, some other topic where you disagreed with me? I lose count.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree