Money and Education

Money and Education

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09
1 edit

In this month's issue of Money Magazine, there is disturbing set of statistics dealing with college graduation rates. You have the Well-Off (those whose parents' income was in the top 25% ), the Poor (those whose parents' income was in the bottom 25% ), those who had high SATs (from 1200 to 1600), and those who had low SATs (800 to 999). It breaks down as follows:

Well-Off with high SATs graduated at 82%

Well-Off with low SATs graduated at 52%

Poor with high SATs graduated at 44%

Of course the rich, smart people do well. There's no surprise there. But the rich idiots graduate at a HIGHER rate than the poor, smart people. Being wealthy is a greater guarantee that you'll graduate from college than being smart. For a nation that prides itself on "equal opportunity", this should be a mark of shame.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by rwingett
In this month's issue of Money Magazine, there is disturbing set of statistics dealing with college graduation rates. You have the [b]Well-Off (those whose parents' income was in the top 25% ), the Poor (those whose parents' income was in the bottom 25% ), those who had high SATs (from 1200 to 1600), and those who had low SATs (800 to 999). It br ...[text shortened]... . For a nation that prides itself on "equal opportunity", this should be a mark of shame.[/b]
Exactly.

Dump the lousy public school system that's failed the poor and replace it with a voucher system that requires results of the schools if they want your voucher dollars. The schools will need to get results or perish, unlike the public schools which flounder along in perpetuity.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by sh76
Exactly.

Dump the lousy public school system that's failed the poor and replace it with a voucher system that requires results of the schools if they want your voucher dollars. The schools will need to get results or perish, unlike the public schools which flounder along in perpetuity.
It's amazing the conclusions you can draw from the data if you're creative enough.

There's no way you can fault the public school system based on the data I've presented here. Both poor and rich kids are getting good SAT scores. The free public schools DO provide equal opportunity.

Back to the blackboard for you.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
07 Jul 09
2 edits

There's no way you can fault the public school system based on the data I've presented here.
No, not on the data you've presented alone.

I'm a proponent of vouchers for many other reasons apart from this data.

I'd be interested to hear how you would fix the public school system, though.

Or, are you saying that the public schools are fine? KN was saying the other day that the public schools in poor neighborhoods were so bad that the poor are effectively not given an education? Is he right?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
07 Jul 09

In this month's issue of Money Magazine, there is disturbing set of statistics dealing with college graduation rates. You have the [b]Well-Off (those whose parents' income was in the top 25% ), the Poor (those whose parents' income was in the bottom 25% ), those who had high SATs (from 1200 to 1600), and those who had low SATs (800 to 999). It br ...[text shortened]... . For a nation that prides itself on "equal opportunity", this should be a mark of shame.[/b]
Link?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
07 Jul 09

Perhaps college is just overrated considered how expensive it is today. Maybe someone of average intellegence and average income in America would be better off getting a lower paying job right out of high school, saving there money, and starting a small business. Training for such a path can be found in any public library. I don't know if this is a great answer, but it's an alternative that should be looked at. 😏

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by spruce112358
Link?
Page 98 of the July issue of Money Magazine.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by bill718
Perhaps college is just overrated considered how expensive it is today. Maybe someone of average intellegence and average income in America would be better off getting a lower paying job right out of high school, saving there money, and starting a small business. Training for such a path can be found in any public library. I don't know if this is a great answer, but it's an alternative that should be looked at. 😏
Why don't you try that with your kids. Let us know how it works.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 09

For a nation that prides itself on "equal opportunity"
You're joking, right?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
You're joking, right?
You'll have to be more specific.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 09

I thought the American Dream was about succeeding despite poor chances - beating the odds, if you wish.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09

I thought the American Dream was about succeeding despite poor chances - beating the odds, if you wish.
We like to think that everyone has an equally poor opportunity to succeed.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 09

We like to think that everyone has an equally poor opportunity to succeed.
I don't see many Americans on these forums arguing for redistribution of wealth.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
07 Jul 09

Why don't you try that with your kids. Let us know how it works.
It worked for me. I've been a Realtor for 22 years and I make over $80,000 per year...even in this economy. Sorry to burst your bubble!!😏

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 09

I don't see many Americans on these forums arguing for redistribution of wealth.
That was a joke.

If you ask people, they'll typically say something about how if you work hard enough you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps, or some such thing. The idea is that enough hard work can get anyone to the top. There is the perception of equal opportunity in that regard. The point I am making here is that it isn't necessarily so. Money is a greater factor than hard work.