1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 21:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    There is a fundamental difference between the government providing loans to college students over providing loans to the "poor". The college student is more likely to be good for the loan. The "poor", however, will me more likely to default. That is why the government had to step in and demand mortgages be given to the "poor". Otherwise, they would not ha ...[text shortened]... rnment money flowing into the system that jacks up prices. Just wait for the new NHC. 😉
    I BELIEVE that student loans are defaulted at high rates, but if you question me I am not 100% sure I can back that up.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 21:25
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    For some reason you're misconstruing the obvious: nobody claims that education in Finland costs nothing, but it is free of charge. And the fact that Finns are very highly educated on the whole -- with a high standard of living -- is evidence that the system works, 'hidden costs' notwithstanding. It's quite obvious, too, that higher education is much le ...[text shortened]... which has been 'coming out ahead' for some time, as far as I can gather.

Viva Finland.
    Student loans are really easy to get. I could never afford university, but I went to the best one in the world in my field on borrowed money.
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 22:02
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I think the best proof is in the results. Finns are (quite a lot more) more highly educated than Americans -- as are Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Dutch ... Not too sure about the French 🙂

Free market education tends to produce only what's good for the market, rather than producing well educated people.

Whatever you do, don't put an economist in ch ...[text shortened]... the World Economic Forum ranks Finland number one in the world in terms of tertiary education.
    Well...good for the Finns. I hope they put their educations to good use.

What's good for the market also tends to be good for you -- i.e. it's easy to get a job after. Well-educated people with obscure degrees sometimes struggle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree