1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:33
    Am I the only one who thinks the show MythBusters is overrated? I'm a big fan of the science channel, the discovery channel and other educational programing.

I'm getting sick of all the MythBuster marathons and IMO the show doesn't warrant its level of popularity.

Admittedly I am not a scientist nor do I have any sort of science related degree. But even as a layperson I feel strongly that many of their "busting" techniques are sloppy, unscientific and borderline irrelevant to what they're trying to disprove. I also just don't find the show very entertaining.

In contrast I feel shows that really focus on science, like "The Universe," don't get enough recognition.
  2. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:40
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Am I the only one who thinks the show MythBusters is overrated? I'm a big fan of the science channel, the discovery channel and other educational programing.

I'm getting sick of all the MythBuster marathons and IMO the show doesn't warrant its level of popularity.

Admittedly I am not a scientist nor do I have any sort of science related deg ...[text shortened]... shows that really focus on science, like "The Universe," don't get enough recognition.
    Then why are you watching it? 🙄
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:45

Admittedly I am not a scientist nor do I have any sort of science related deg ...[text shortened]... shows that really focus on science, like "The Universe," don't get enough recognition.
    Mythbusters is not 100% pure scientific investigation of the myths they cover. That being said, they do a better job than most in at least applying that kind of principle into their investigations.

They also do a pretty good job in balancing logical analysis and well, being entertaining for television.

Shows like the Universe definitely don't get enough play or hype, but they also won't attract any kind of audience no matter what kind of advertising they get unfortunately.

Even the history channel is moving away from shows about history and they are playing crap like ghost hunters. What ghost hunters have to do with history, I don't know. The have other shows like "ax men" and "Ice road truckers" that are good, but I don't know what they have to do with history either.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:46
    no, my kid loves it, and he is a scientist.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:59
    Originally posted by peanutpicker61
    Then why are you watching it? 🙄
    Can you copy and paste anywhere I said I'm watching it?

No?

Then once again you hijack a thread blowing hot air.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 23:04

No?

" I feel strongly that many of their "busting" techniques are sloppy, unscientific and borderline irrelevant to what they're trying to disprove. I also just don't find the show very entertaining. "-usap

How did you come to this conclusion if you have not watched it?
  7. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 23:22

I am not a fan, sometimes I am over ruled by the angry female mob here in the house..... but even that is better than WHO WILL BE THE NEXT MODEL...argh!
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 00:162 edits

Admittedly I am not a scientist nor do I have any sort of science related deg shows that really focus on science, like "The Universe," don't get enough recognition.
    Maybe someone can create a show called MythBusters Busted - where they seek to discredit or disprove the Mythbusters' "conclusions".
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 00:33
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [b]" I feel strongly that many of their "busting" techniques are sloppy, unscientific and borderline irrelevant to what they're trying to disprove. I also just don't find the show very entertaining. "-usap

How did you come to this conclusion if you have not watched it?[/b]
    Burn!
  10. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 02:33

No?

I only blow hot air because that is what you inhale. I asked you some challenging questions, and your excuse was that you had to go PT...that was over a week ago. I can understand your not wanting to answer honest and challenging questions from a conservative, but just like stereotypical left-wing liberals, you evade the questions without even an excuse or reason. Just sayin'......
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 02:40
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [b]" I feel strongly that many of their "busting" techniques are sloppy, unscientific and borderline irrelevant to what they're trying to disprove. I also just don't find the show very entertaining. "-usap

How did you come to this conclusion if you have not watched it?[/b]
    I am pretty sure an educated person can get the measure of a TV programme's production values from watching it only a few times. But then again, the sort of people who get mixed up between the present continuous tense ( "Then why are you watching it?" ) and the present perfect tense ( "How did you come to this conclusion if you have not watched it?" ) and demonstrate it, with knuckle-biting bumpkinness, on a public forum, probably are not educated enough to realise that someone can get the measure of a TV programme's production values from watching it only a few times.
  12. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 02:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am pretty sure an educated person can get the measure of a TV programme's production values from watching it only a few times. But then again, the sort of people who get mixed up between the present continuous tense ( "Then why are you watching it?" ) and the present perfect tense ( "How did you come to this conclusion if you have not watched it?" ) and demon ...[text shortened]... n get the measure of a TV programme's production values from watching it only a few times.
    Never mind....not everything is possible....🙄
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 02:48
    I asked you some challenging questions...
    You think so?

And would this be an example of one of your "challenging questions":

Then why are you watching [MythBusters]?
  14. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 03:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    You think so?

And would this be an example of one of your "challenging questions":

[b]Then why are you watching [MythBusters]?
    [/b]
    It obviously challenged your intellect, or else you wouldn't be so enamored with it. Are in elementary school?
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 11:10
    It obviously challenged your intellect, or else you wouldn't be so enamored with it. Are in elementary school?
    "Challenging questions"?! 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree