Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 03 Apr '12 16:12
    North Korea is working on a rocket so big that it makes the long-range Taepodong-2 missile it's preparing to test-launch look modest, South Korean government sources tell the Chosun Ilbo.
    Based on satellite images, they've determined that the North is working on a missile with a booster so large that it could fire more than 6,200 miles, meaning it would be capable of reaching the continental US.


    Should the U.S. be concerned ? Or, should the U.S. have a no worries what so ever attitude, and take the position that "we can reach them so they have the right to reach us" sort of pacifist attitude ?

    http://www.newser.com/story/143273/north-korea-building-missile-that-could-hit-us.html
  2. Standard member skipper2666
    Why so serious ????
    03 Apr '12 16:22
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [quote]North Korea is working on a rocket so big that it makes the long-range Taepodong-2 missile it's preparing to test-launch look modest, South Korean government sources tell the Chosun Ilbo.
    Based on satellite images, they've determined that the North is working on a missile with a booster so large that it could fire more than 6,200 miles, meani ...[text shortened]... ?

    http://www.newser.com/story/143273/north-korea-building-missile-that-could-hit-us.html
    If you're that worried about it then why not go see your Representative, write to your Gov and ask them to bomb the N. Koreans back to the stone age.
  3. 03 Apr '12 16:44
    Originally posted by skipper2666
    If you're that worried about it then why not go see your Representative, write to your Gov and ask them to bomb the N. Koreans back to the stone age.
    Did I say I was worried about it ? No.

    The debate is should the U.S. feel threatened by this ? Or not ?
  4. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    03 Apr '12 16:49
    Shhh. We're already at war with N. Korea, the war never ended. It's new wars we're looking for. Where's the profit to be made in N. Korea?
  5. 03 Apr '12 18:15
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [quote]North Korea is working on a rocket so big that it makes the long-range Taepodong-2 missile it's preparing to test-launch look modest, South Korean government sources tell the Chosun Ilbo.
    Based on satellite images, they've determined that the North is working on a missile with a booster so large that it could fire more than 6,200 miles, meani ...[text shortened]... ?

    http://www.newser.com/story/143273/north-korea-building-missile-that-could-hit-us.html
    Sure the US probably should be concerned, I'm not sure how much though.

    I surely don't think anyone is suggesting that they "have the right to reach us".

    If you were president what would you do?
  6. 03 Apr '12 20:08
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Did I say I was worried about it ? No.

    The debate is should the U.S. feel threatened by this ? Or not ?
    Well china and russia probably have few that can reach the U.S, why should they be concerned about n korea's paltry arsenal. The answers no btw.
  7. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    04 Apr '12 00:36
    What do you expect the president to do? Turn it into a full out war and get millions of koreans and thousands of U.S. soldiers killed in the process, and further bankrupt the U.S.? Because you can pretty much bet that bombing N. Korea would accomplish exactly that.

    This isn't really a new threat. If North Korea were to use its nukes, it would be more effective for them to strike S. Korea than to launch at U.S. which would likely fail and be tactically pointless. Not to mention the futility of using the nukes in general.

    This is really a non event. There's nothing diplomatically or economically the U.S. can do to further harm N. Korea, and taking the next step to initiate a war is pointless.

    The status quo of a ship sinking every so often or a little cross-border shelling is fine by me, while we wait for regime change to make a difference.
  8. 04 Apr '12 10:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    This is really a non event. There's nothing diplomatically or economically the U.S. can do to further harm N. Korea, and taking the next step to initiate a war is pointless.
    One of the revelations in the Wikileaks scandal, as I recall, was that China was privately relaxed about the idea of the Korean peninsula being reunited under the leadership of Seoul.

    So the US could, I suppose, intensify efforts to persuade China to pull the plug on their allies in Pyongyang.

    Mind you, in the midst of all the current Western paranoia about Chinese power, I'm not sure the climate is most fruitful for negotiation!
  9. Subscriber Rajk999
    Enjoying
    04 Apr '12 11:02
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [quote]North Korea is working on a rocket so big that it makes the long-range Taepodong-2 missile it's preparing to test-launch look modest, South Korean government sources tell the Chosun Ilbo.
    Based on satellite images, they've determined that the North is working on a missile with a booster so large that it could fire more than 6,200 miles, meani ...[text shortened]... ?

    http://www.newser.com/story/143273/north-korea-building-missile-that-could-hit-us.html
    Would you be concerned if the guy down the road [who does not like you] just bought a brand new sniper rifle?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Apr '12 11:08
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Did I say I was worried about it ? No.

    The debate is should the U.S. feel threatened by this ? Or not ?
    Perhaps, like you, the U.S. should simply not say whether it's worried about it.
  11. 04 Apr '12 19:33
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Would you be concerned if the guy down the road [who does not like you] just bought a brand new sniper rifle?
    Not if I had a whole bunch of fully armed predator drones.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Apr '12 15:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Not if I had a whole bunch of fully armed predator drones.
    Predator drones won't protect you from snipers.

    EDIT - Except via pre-emptive bombing...
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Apr '12 15:01
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Well china and russia probably have few that can reach the U.S, why should they be concerned about n korea's paltry arsenal. The answers no btw.
    Because the North Koreans are batsh* crazy with an absolute dictator maybe?