1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 18:47
    Or, take a baby born tonight. Next year is the first year after it is born, this year past is the last year the world had existed before its birth - not the 'zeroth' year before the baby's birth.

In fact, doesn't the way you look at this require the word 'zeroth'?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 19:061 edit
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Or, take a baby born tonight. Next year is the first year after it is born, this year past is the last year the world had existed before its birth - not the 'zeroth' year before the baby's birth.

In fact, doesn't the way you look at this require the word 'zeroth'?
    we could apply the same logic to temperature.

We could define the "zero point" as the point at which water freezes. The first degree beyond that would be "degree 1". The first degree before that would be "degree -1".

And yet, we all know that there is such a thing as "zero degrees Celsius". In fact, a lot of scientific calculations would be really messed up if they arbitrarily removed that "zeroth degree".
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 22:26
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    we could apply the same logic to temperature.

We could define the "zero point" as the point at which water freezes. The first degree beyond that would be "degree 1". The first degree before that would be "degree -1".

And yet, we all know that there is such a thing as "zero degrees Celsius". In fact, a lot of scientific calculations would be really messed up if they arbitrarily removed that "zeroth degree".
    1 BC = 0 AD
    2 BC = -1 AD
    etc.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 08:36
    When they defined how the years started Anno Domini, they started with the year 1.

This discussion shouldn't be about if this was correct or not, because that doesn't matter, they decided that the year 1 was the first year, we have to live with it. And a consequence of this is that that the new decennium starts January 1st at the year 2011.

Well, I attended to a good New Years Party, the next year I will launch a New Decennium Party! That will be a really good one!
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 08:40
    Today is the first day of a new decade. The tens? The teens? What's it called?

Today is the first day of the 10th year of the 21stC, surely?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 08:591 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Today is the first day of a new decade. The tens? The teens? What's it called?

Today is the first day of the 10th year of the 21stC, surely?
    The new century started 2001, hence only nine years has passed in the new century.

Or do you say that the first century had just 99 years?

There were no year zero.

Happy New Year! - not happy new decennium (yet) 😉
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 09:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The new century started 2001, hence only nine years has passed in the new century.
    Indeed. That's why I said today is the first day of the 10th year.

Or do you say that the first century had just 99 years?

No I don't.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 10:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Indeed. That's why I said today is the first day of the 10th year.

[b]Or do you say that the first century had just 99 years?

No I don't.[/b]
    Ah, you trick with words? Indeed funny! 🙂

Every year can be defined as a new period of 10 years! Ok, I agree with this.

But decennia is always lumped together in 10 years. So this decennium is still the 201st one since the beginning of our year count, that started with the year one A.D. The 202nd decennium starts the next year.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 10:20
    Ah, you trick with words? Indeed funny!
    Nope. Standard plain English. You are too eager to be the smartypants, I reckon.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 11:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nope. Standard plain English. You are too eager to be the smartypants, I reckon.
    Okay, you have your opinion.

I go to two new decennium parties, one of your kind and one correct one. You go to only one.

But, hey, you have the right to have your opinion.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 11:53
    Okay, you have your opinion.
    Yes. Mine is: Today is the first day of the 10th year of the 21stC.

And it sent you off into "Oh so there are 99 years in a century, are there?" routine. I don't know why.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 14:501 edit
    Why is it, at the beginning of the day we hear, "Good day" and then at the beginning of the year we hear, "Happy new year", but when we start another month we never hear, "Merry new month"? As for "happy decade", I have yet to hear that, however, people apparently throw parties for it. But what of the happless month? In fact, I even hear people say, "Have a good week", but never have a happy month.

In defense of the month, I feel as though I need to scream foul!! No doubt, the progressives are behind it 😠
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 16:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why is it, at the beginning of the day we hear, "Good day" and then at the beginning of the year we hear, "Happy new year", but when we start another month we never hear, "Merry new month"? As for "happy decade", I have yet to hear that, however, people apparently throw parties for it. But what of the happless month? In fact, I even hear people say, "Have ...[text shortened]... I feel as though I need to scream foul!! No doubt, the progressives are behind it 😠
    I've never thought about that... 😕

Anyway - have a good day! 🙂
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jan '10 17:06
    I've never thought about that... 😕

Anyway - have a good day! 🙂
    I've never thought about that,

well well, there's a surprise!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree