Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 20:211 edit
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3103889/Is-sex-hormone-testosterone-blame-corrupting-world-leaders-New-study-reveals-surprising-science-corruption-power.html

"Is sex hormone testosterone to blame for corrupting world leaders?
    New study reveals surprising science behind corruption and power."
    --Imogen Calderwood

"High levels of the sex hormone testosterone makes people more prone to corruption,
    according to the results of a new study (at the University of Lausanne)."
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 20:26
    Explains those pant suits.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 21:40
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3103889/Is-sex-hormone-testosterone-blame-corrupting-world-leaders-New-study-reveals-surprising-science-corruption-power.html

--Imogen Calderwood

"High levels of the sex horm ...[text shortened]... prone to corruption,
    This is news?
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 22:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is news?
    As I recall, one's high level of testosterone already has been linked to a lack of empathy.
    So I suppose that one could infer that a less empathetic person would be more likely to be corrupt.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-testosterone-alone-doesnt-cause-violence

"Strange but True: Testosterone Alone Does Not Cause Violence:
    Hormones don't necessarily make men violence, but they do cause them to seek social dominance."
    --Christopher Mims (5 July 2007)

"...beating an opponent at chess can boost testosterone levels."

Really? Should I play chess whenever I feel that I could use a boost like that?

"(research) demonstrated that one surefire way to raise a man's testosterone level is to allow him to handle a gun."

Well, a man told me that his testosterone level would surely be raised if I would let him
    handle something (relating to me) besides a gun. It was an interesting experiment.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 22:41
    As I recall, one's high level of testosterone already has been linked to a lack of empathy.
    So I suppose that one could infer that a less empathetic person would be more likely to be corrupt.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-testosterone-alone-doesnt-cause-violence

"Strange but True: Testosterone Alone Does Not Cause Violen ...[text shortened]... ld let him
    handle something (relating to me) besides a gun. It was an interesting experiment.
    What I mean is that we (women) have known this kind of thing for years.

I'm not saying that women are not corruptible, only that men are more so, and most women (I think) get this. The only women who might not think so are the ones who've been lucky enough not to be on the receiving end of the result of the "increased testosterone" (and before I get the inevitable hate mail, I'm not talking just about the physical effects).
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 23:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    What I mean is that we (women) have known this kind of thing for years.

I'm not saying that women are not corruptible, only that men are more so, and most women (I think) get this. The only women who might not think so are the ones who've been lucky enough not to be on the receiving end of the result of the "increased testosterone" (and before I get the inevitable hate mail, I'm not talking just about the physical effects).
    To answer your earlier question, I think 'this is news' because there's a scientific study about it.
    It's harder to dismiss a study than a collection of anecdotes.

I also have had problems with some men who seem to have high levels of testosterone.
    I found it hard to understand what could be driving these men to pursue dominance
    (including sometimes over me) when their motives made no sense to me. I concluded
    that these men likely had something inside them that was lacking (or less) inside me.
    I have been on the receiving end of some aggression that seemed inexplicable to me.

I don't believe that women necessarily are better leaders than men, but I think that most
    governments would become more balanced if there were more women participating in them.
    In general, women seem less obsessed than men are about amassing as much power as possible.
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 00:00

--Imogen Calderwood

Well Duchess...I view your comments as an attack on me personally!😠😠😠
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 01:13

--Imogen Calderwood

What is the conclusion, or suggestion of those results? Testosterone is a naturally occurring hormone in humans.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 19:52
    Originally posted by normbenign
    What is the conclusion, or suggestion of those results? Testosterone is a naturally occurring hormone in humans.
    Again, Normbenign needs to improve his abysmal 'reading comprehension'.