1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 13:55
    Originally posted by telerion
    He very much acknowledges that both in the interview and elsewhere. Gale's opinion is that cutting spending on the big programs is going to be politically infeasible so we have to turn to the only other choice available: increase taxes.

My opinion: They should raise taxes. Econ 101: demand is downward sloping. Raise the price of government services ( ...[text shortened]... giving ourselves a free lunch (*shoots a wicked glare at all the Baby Boomers in the room).
    Hard to believe, but here I am at 46, feeling like a Rip Van Winkle dinosaur. Although I didn't fall asleep, I'm rubbing my eyes in astonishment at the landscape.

Raise the prices on government services?! Am I the only one who is puking in my mouth over this idea, over the very concept? Can anyone name even ONE service the government runs which could be considered a model of business acumen, efficiency-minded or otherwise? Government has a proven record of jacking up literally everything we allow its mitts on, but we're going to allow it to raise its prices in the form of higher taxes?

As I see it, 1984 was off by only a few years...
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:07
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Hard to believe, but here I am at 46, feeling like a Rip Van Winkle dinosaur. Although I didn't fall asleep, I'm rubbing my eyes in astonishment at the landscape.

Raise the prices on government services?! Am I the only one who is puking in my mouth over this idea, over the very concept? Can anyone name even ONE service the government runs which could ...[text shortened]... rices in the form of higher taxes?

Careful now Freaky, Big Brother is listening.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:08

Raise the prices on government services?! Am I the only one who is puking in my mouth over this idea, over the very concept? Can anyone name even ONE service the government runs which could ...[text shortened]... rices in the form of higher taxes?

Telerion's idea is that the public should be paying the full price for whatever services its getting. The public will then be able to judge better whether those services are worth it.

If you're only paying $8 for a mediocre dinner (that costs $15 to prepare), you might be perfectly happy with it. But if you have to pay the full cost of $15 for the same dinner, you might decide you want better food for that price, or you might consider a less expensive option on the menu.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:12
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Telerion's idea is that the public should be paying the full price for whatever services its getting. The public will then be able to judge better whether those services are worth it.

If you're only paying $8 for a mediocre dinner (that costs $15 to prepare), you might be perfectly happy with it. But if you have to pay the full cost of $15 for the same ...[text shortened]... ou want better food for that price, or you might consider a less expensive option on the menu.
    Run the government like a business? This is an outrage!! After all, money grows on trees in China, so why should we pay as we go?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:12

If you're only paying $8 for a mediocre dinner (that costs $15 to prepare), you might be perfectly happy with it. But if you have to pay the full cost of $15 for the same ...[text shortened]... ou want better food for that price, or you might consider a less expensive option on the menu.
    I got that. My nausea is thinking that we're allowing the conversation to be framed on the assumption that the only menu from which to choose has "US Government" on the top of it.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:20
    I got that. My nausea is thinking that we're allowing the conversation to be framed on the assumption that the only menu from which to choose has "US Government" on the top of it.
    Try reading. This part for example:

Now if a majority of Americans are still willing to pay, then the programs stay. That's democracy.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Try reading. This part for example:

Now [b]if
    a majority of Americans are still willing to pay, then the programs stay. That's democracy.[/b]
    Reading? Like what wasn't allowed for passage of this last health care reform? I got that, too. The majority of Americans weren't willing for any of this, so it's kinda moot to mention the inner workings of democracy at this point.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:331 edit
    Well, the topic is tax reform and balancing the budget. All of the things that federal tax dollars are spent on are going to involve "US Government".
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:36
    Reading? Like what wasn't allowed for passage of this last health care reform? I got that, too. The majority of Americans weren't willing for any of this, so it's kinda moot to mention the inner workings of democracy at this point.
    Everyone had plenty of time to read everything that was involved in healthcare reform. I myself spent an afternoon or two plowing through a whole bunch of it. But I will agree that watching paint dry would have been more interesting.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:36
    Well, the topic is tax reform and balancing the budget. All of the things that federal tax dollars are spent on are going to involve "US Government".
    True. I just want the list much, much shorter!
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:48
    True. I just want the list much, much shorter!
    Suppose you have just been elected president. Balancing the budget is your top priority.

What specific plan would you offer for getting this done? Which specific programs would you cut and by how much? What advertisements would you air to counteract the special interest ads attacking your plan?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 15:50
    The fact remains that telerion did not exclude other options.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 18:56
    Suppose you have just been elected president. Balancing the budget is your top priority.

What specific plan would you offer for getting this done? Which specific programs would you cut and by how much? What advertisements would you air to counteract the special interest ads attacking your plan?
    It's about time someone had the good sense to ask me how to fix things. I commend your bravery, sir/ma'am/concerned and conscientious citizen. To wit (not to be confused with twit, mind you)...

If elected, I promise to initiate my 10-step road to recovery:
    1. Abolish the IRS
    2. Cancel all forms of tax currently in place
    3. Initiate a flat 10% tax on ALL new goods and ALL services
    4. Increase military spending in order to:
    5. Take over ALL oil fields in the world
    6. Regulate oil distributions at one set price
    7. Upon establishment of the distribution system, reduce military spending, earmarking those funds for:
    8. Establishment of alternative energy solutions, with a future eye on:
    9. Mandated oil independent passenger vehicles within five years
    10. Mandatory subway systems for every major (350K+) city within ten years

Thank you and God bless America.
    Good night.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 18:57
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The fact remains that telerion did not exclude other options.
    No doubt. However, some things just kind of leap out at a soul, you know?
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 22:31

Exactly my point. It would be nice if other people would internalize the costs of these services. Yes, maybe even the middle-class . . . (*with a suggestive stare at Obama)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree