1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    24 Mar '23 22:13
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-passes-gop-parents-bill-rights-measure-opposed-biden-rcna76492

Is nothing sacred to you people? The private rights of a parent to direct their children through life? Again, I ask, why are y'all so tethered to the government? Can you let people live their own lives, within Constitutional provisions? Do unto others, such as that? Be self-reliant?
    Can you let us know your thinking here?
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 01:45
    @averagejoe1 said
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-passes-gop-parents-bill-rights-measure-opposed-biden-rcna76492

Is nothing sacred to you people? The private rights of a parent to direct their children through life? Again, I ask, why are y'all so tethered to the government? Can you let people live their own lives, within Constitutional provisions? Do unto others, such as that? Be self-reliant?
    Oof. Joe. Limited government.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 02:12
    @wildgrass said
    Oof. Joe. Limited government.
    you do realize schools are a govt entity?
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 05:34
    Nothing not expected here, right @AJoe. Dems are all for taking more and more control over our lives. Totalitarians

Scary. And they vote.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 14:14
    @averagejoe1 said

!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 17:45
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    So now repubs want big government, especially making laws that makes more and more people criminals. They would LOVE to put every black and brown skin in jail, all hundred million of them. I am TOTALLY sure you would LOVE that, maybe you would love also being one of the shooters on a death penalty case where they requested rifle shots.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 18:23
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Nothing not expected here, right @AJoe. Dems are all for taking more and more control over our lives. Totalitarians

Scary. And they vote.
    What a laugh. The legislation is little more than a usurpation of local school board's authority esp. aimed to increase harassment of transgender students.

Whatever happened to the conservative idea that the Federal government should stay out of education altogether?

This is just a political game as part of the right crusade against minorities they don't like. It won't go anywhere in the Senate.
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 21:28
    @no1marauder said
    What a laugh. The legislation is little more than a usurpation of local school board's authority esp. aimed to increase harassment of transgender students.

Whatever happened to the conservative idea that the Federal government should stay out of education altogether?

This is just a political game as part of the right crusade against minorities they don't like. It won't go anywhere in the Senate.
    I agree totally that the fed govt should stay out of education altogether,,,,,,there should be no Dept of Ed in DC. States have that. The MS dept weighs teaching for the more economically suffering citizens, the 75% unwed mothers, etc, while Idaho teaches farming, oil, or what have you. Imagine the asses at Federal Level making such differentiations.
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 01:51
    @no1marauder said -
    "Whatever happened to the conservative idea that the Federal government should stay out of education altogether?"
    --------------------------------------------------

It's a good idea, IMO. Absolute power corrupts.
    And sure enough, classrooms today are indoctrination centers as a result.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 01:54
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @no1marauder said -
    "Whatever happened to the conservative idea that the Federal government should stay out of education altogether?"
    --------------------------------------------------

It's a good idea, IMO. Absolute power corrupts.
    And sure enough, classrooms today are indoctrination centers as a result.
    Yet another reading from The Big Book of Republican Fairy Tales.
  11. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 11:04
    @suzianne said
    Yet another reading from The Big Book of Republican Fairy Tales.
    A silly way to say you want education in all states to be controlled by federal government. You stop with that sentence, a sentence which adds nothing to anything. We fairy-talers typically support our comment with………you got it!….logic, common sense, or rationale.
    You got this Suzianne! You can do it. You never have.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 13:24
    @averagejoe1 said
    A silly way to say you want education in all states to be controlled by federal government. You stop with that sentence, a sentence which adds nothing to anything. We fairy-talers typically support our comment with………you got it!….logic, common sense, or rationale.
    Yet you contradict yourself. The "Parents Bill of Rights" you support sets numerous Federal requirements on local school boards yet in this thread you chide Democrats for being "authoritarian" for not supporting it.

Use "logic, common sense, or rationale" to explain that.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 17:09
    @averagejoe1 said
    Ever hear of the Department of Education?

This way standards can be, well, standardized across the country.
  14. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 19:40
    @suzianne said
    Ever hear of the Department of Education?

This way standards can be, well, standardized across the country.
    Yes, I touched on getting rid of DEA 5 clicks back.
    Then you say we should standardize?? No, no, no....The MS birth rate for teens has been 70 out of every thousand....leading the country. See attached. So, we should weigh the curriculum to deal with local problems.
    You see, in Idaho, a different culture which leans to farming and oil and ranching, such as that.... All of that is taught in the high schools, but there would be no reason to teach it in MS. Mississippi ranks FIRST in unwed mothers, so it is necessary that they need to be taught the domestic side of life. That type of curriculum is not needed in Connecticut or Vermont.
    So, if the Federal DEA tries to tell each state what to teach, how are they qualified to do that? Does a person in Washington know about every state's needs for proper curriculum ? No, so they should not be in charge.
    That is my 2 cents. Logic.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/06/23/mississippi-teen-birth-rate/

MS worries about all this. Not so in Idaho, a different group of people.
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 20:05
    @no1marauder said
    Yet you contradict yourself. The "Parents Bill of Rights" you support sets numerous Federal requirements on local school boards yet in this thread you chide Democrats for being "authoritarian" for not supporting it.

Use "logic, common sense, or rationale" to explain that.
    First, I did not say dems were authoritarian, that is your word.
    I believe in parents rights, even if the fed's rules have to be used to enforce their rights. The democrats seem to be against that. I could be wrong. So, are dems as well as repubs behind the Parents Bill of Rights? Dude.
    I don't even understand why the rights of parents have to be diagrammed, or categorized, or spelled out, or put in writing. Aren't their rights just a given? Maybe we have misunderstood the article.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree