1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 02:02
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You think that really matters to him? If it was a left wing blog then they must have fabricated it.
    And the linked site too?
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 03:46
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    And the linked site too?
    It's all part of the NPR/Planned parenthood/George Soros/Michael Dukakis/Al Gore plan.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 01:53
    Also from the link to the actual poll: "Viewers of cable news on MSNBC are the most likely to think the [Occupy Wall Street] protestors are Republicans."

Oversimplified generalizations don't do anybody any good.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jun/20/jon-stewart/jon-stewart-says-those-who-watch-fox-news-are-most/
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 03:09
    Fox News is not part of my satellite package at home anymore. But when I am working away from home or travelling it tends to be the news channel I watch in my hotel room.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 04:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Fox News is not part of my satellite package at home anymore. But when I am working away from home or travelling it tends to be the news channel I watch in my hotel room.
    I used to watch it more, but they yell too much. Same with MSNBC. I just don't need people yelling at me in my own living room.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 05:39
    I used to watch it more, but they yell too much. Same with MSNBC. I just don't need people yelling at me in my own living room.
    I tend to enjoy reading and watching things I might be inclined to disagree with, rather than reinforcing my views by consuming material with which I might be inclined to agree. When I visit the U.K. I have a habit of buying/reading conservative papers.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 05:59
    Watch Rachel Maddow. Don't watch Chris Matthews (or even Lawrence O'Donnell). 😉
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 09:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    I tend to enjoy reading and watching things I might be inclined to disagree with, rather than reinforcing my views by consuming material with which I might be inclined to agree. When I visit the U.K. I have a habit of buying/reading conservative papers.
    I used to read conservative material on a regular basis, but the Buckleys and Sowells have been replaced by the Hannitys and Savages. Human Events used to be a serious literary magazine from a conservative perspective. It's not so much the ideological content as the decibel level.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 09:28
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Watch Rachel Maddow. Don't watch Chris Matthews (or even Lawrence O'Donnell). 😉
    Maddow is good. And I sometimes like to watch Greta Van Sustern on Fox, and Red Eye.

O'Donnell can be shrill, but his wit and prose is sometimes worth the watch.
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 07:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you often congratulate yourself for being so independently-minded and capable of transcending the pervasive bias of the media?
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 09:19
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    But the thread title could be terrifyingly misleading - if you read it as "There is no news more informative than Fox news".
    That's what Murdoch Inc would lead you to believe, in dare I say it, a very fair and balanced manner
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 10:10
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Do you often congratulate yourself for being so independently-minded and capable of transcending the pervasive bias of the media?
    No. I just enjoy reading and watching things I tend to disagree with having been encouraged to do so by my dad since I was a teenager.
  13. Garner, NC
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 15:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Oh, big surprise, a group of university types think Fox News is less informative, than what??

They probably get their information from the propaganda group at MSNBC which I also watch, just to see what some of my airhead friends are going to try to pass off as facts.

Clue - Information is not just what supports your preconceived notions. Informatio ...[text shortened]... e that people who don't read, get more than regular viewers of any news station, defies reason.
    I would imagine it never occurred to the researchers that their own bias in making the questions could affect the results.

For example, did Sarah Palin say she could see Russia from her house? The correct answer is "no". I would expect conservatives would be much more likely to get that right than liberals. I'd be surprised if that question was used in the research.

Another one, and this has been trotted out in the NY Times a few times (I think it was Krugman). Did they find WMDs in Iraq? According to the NY Times, the correct answer is "no", and anyone that says "yes", is "uninformed" or "ignorant". Even though most of us realize we found nowhere near the quantity of WMDs that were expected and that those that were found were old, if asked the question as stated, I would have to say "yes". (see: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=15918). In this case, it would be possible to be "too informed" to get the NY Times question right.
  14. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 15:39
    The best part about getting older, is they let you yell back...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree