1. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    18 May '09 21:401 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    could you give an example or two of these U.S. citizens your referring too?
    It is a general sentiment I've noticed. I pretty sure you fall into that boat. I'm just curious, i'm not trying to throw out any ill will.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 May '09 21:46
    Watch this video of Gresham Barret, Republican Rep from South Carolina who voted for the TARP bill, trying to address a crowd at one of those tea parties. You think these folks are going to hold their noses and be loyal Republican voters next time around?

YouTube&feature=player_embedded
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    18 May '09 22:17
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Watch this video of Gresham Barret, Republican Rep from South Carolina who voted for the TARP bill, trying to address a crowd at one of those tea parties. You think these folks are going to hold their noses and be loyal Republican voters next time around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QsY2r7HbTM&feature=player_embedded
    I agree,they will not. the tea parties crossed party lines. it was not a republican thing. I argued this before. I know I was at the one here in Atlanta
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 May '09 22:25
    I agree,they will not. the tea parties crossed party lines. it was not a republican thing. I argued this before. I know I was at the one here in Atlanta
    I was at one in Salem friggin Oregon, seriously uber-liberal territory I can assure you, and there were about 1500 people. The vast majority of these folks had never been to a demonstration in their life, but for some reason they showed up for this. I'll bet we see a lot bigger, more organized versions of these demonstrations around July 4th.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    18 May '09 22:26
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I was at one in Salem friggin Oregon, seriously uber-liberal territory I can assure you, and there were about 1500 people. The vast majority of these folks had never been to a demonstration in their life, but for some reason they showed up for this. I'll bet we see a lot bigger, more organized versions of these demonstrations around July 4th.
    I think you are right and I will be there 🙂
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 May '09 22:27
    I think you are right and I will be there 🙂
    Si se puede! 🙂
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    18 May '09 22:424 edits
    for decades, the GOP & Dems have been based on splits that originated in the 1960's - a time that saw huge amounts of change, both culturally and economically.

for some, the change was inspiring - it was the dawning of the Age of Aquarius where new technologies and government policies promised a more prosperous and just world -- but for others, it was scary - it was a rising tide of sex, drugs, crime, and family breakdown. Many wanted to keep pushing forward with all the exciting new ideas - while others much preferred the older ways and wanted to undo everything.

The progressives sided with the liberals and Dems, and often got carried away in their dreamy enthusiasm - while the traditionalists sided with the conservatives and the GOP.

For a long time, the GOP succeeded by simply blaming all the nation's problems on those "liberals" who were responsible for all those scary changes - and warning about the horrors that could happen if those leftists weren't stopped.

but now, 40 years later, about half the population was born during or after the 1960's -- and even the older half has now had a lot of time to adjust. And over time, the crazier liberal ideas have been rolled back and-or abandoned, while other ideas have worked out rather well. As such, the liberals just aren't all that frightening anymore, even for many who oppose their ideas - the GOP can no longer get away with just scaring everyone -- when they try, they remind me of Lola the showgirl from the song Copacabana, struggling in a world where there's no longer a show.

the GOP needs to focus now on what it is FOR - it needs to find inspiring alternatives to what the Dems have proposed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree