Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    10 Dec '10 14:03
    finally awarded to someone actually in jail rather than just to someone who should be...

    Hallelujah!
  2. 10 Dec '10 14:07
    Ah well, I don't get why they make such a big deal out of this, I certainly don't assign any value to the Nobel Peace Prize.
  3. 10 Dec '10 14:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    finally awarded to someone actually in jail rather than just to someone who should be...

    Hallelujah!
    Someone who should be? Like Obama?
  4. 10 Dec '10 14:18
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Ah well, I don't get why they make such a big deal out of this, I certainly don't assign any value to the Nobel Peace Prize.
    I agree with you there.

    In what universe does Henry Kissinger deserve the Nobel peace prize?
    Sad.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    10 Dec '10 14:22
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Someone who should be? Like Obama?
    It was a joke.

    But in any case, no, I was not referring to Obama.

    I was referring to everyone's favorite peanut farmer.

    And no, I don't really think he should be in jail. An insane asylum? Sure. Jail? not really.
  6. 10 Dec '10 14:26
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I agree with you there.

    In what universe does Henry Kissinger deserve the Nobel peace prize?
    Sad.
    Didn't Tom Lehrer say that satire died the day Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize?
  7. 10 Dec '10 14:26
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I agree with you there.

    In what universe does Henry Kissinger deserve the Nobel peace prize?
    Sad.
    Yeah, Kissinger, Al Gore, Obama, Arafat... that's just a few off the top of my head.
  8. 10 Dec '10 14:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    I was referring to everyone's favorite peanut farmer.
    So what has everyone got against all the other peanut farmers?
  9. 10 Dec '10 14:43
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Didn't Tom Lehrer say that satire died the day Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize?
    I didn't know that. I learn something new every day.
    It seems the word obsolete was used.

    http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/10/nobel_peace_prize_gandhi_never.html

    Gandhi never won the Nobel Peace Prize? Is that true?
    I guess you can't fight colonialism and get one.
  10. 10 Dec '10 15:16
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I didn't know that. I learn something new every day.
    It seems the word obsolete was used.

    Gandhi never won the Nobel Peace Prize? Is that true?
    There are various versions of Lehrer's quip - maybe it's not clear what he actually said.

    Gandhi never won the Peace Prize, but was nominated several times, the last time just before his assassination in 1948. That year, the committee decided not to award a prize on the grounds that "there was no suitable living candidate."
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    10 Dec '10 19:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    finally awarded to someone actually in jail rather than just to someone who should be...

    Hallelujah!
    Who really cares!?...It's not like this guy discovered a cure for cancer, or came up with a math formula that solves the mysteries of the universe. This Nobel prize has been used as a political tool for too long. It's time it stopped being used that way.
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    11 Dec '10 18:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    finally awarded to someone actually in jail rather than just to someone who should be...

    Hallelujah!
    haha