1. Germany
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 11:40
    Every industrialized country apart from the US has some form of mandatory health insurance, be it in the form of taxation or mandatory private insurance. In most of these countries, health care reform is not on the political agenda. How do you explain this?
  2. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 14:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Obama already got my respect a long time ago. That doesn't mean I think hes perfect.
    What is interesting is that you don't seem to believe in democracy. Surely what Obama achieves at the level you have listed should have more to do with his staff, the various senators and congress members, and the general public than Obama as an individual.
    What should ...[text shortened]... The actual choices (what type of health plan etc) should not be up to him alone (and isn't).
    from the way he (and other politicians) make election promises, they certainly seem to want to give the impression that they will be able to deliver on those promises. if they're not in fact in a position to cause the changes they promise to come into effect, they shouldn't make the promises.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 14:312 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I seriously doubt Obama wants the like of your's respect.
    He's right eljefejesus. You are the type that Obama wants to just get out of the way and shut up.

Its like my Mama always said, if you want respect then demonstrate some in return. Maybe if you lose your grip on your Bible in one hand and your gun in the other you too may be "enlightened" by the enlightened one. In the interim, Obama just wants you to get lost!!
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 15:512 edits
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Ok, no sarcastic attacks on this one please, it just goes to show which people would seriously consider the proposal and not the man that you name your demands that would earn your respect for Obama...

I'll start the examples.

Obama could earn my respect if he actually had a paid-for health care plan that didn't raise indirect taxes at least in lin ets for labor (supply & demand) to work with minimal government interference.

Any others?
    Here is my list:

1. Balance your books. I don't care what you are spending, just have a way to pay for it with the current tax code in place.

2. Become energy dependent. This means investement in this country such as using our myriad of natty gas reserves and nuclear power. NO MORE OPEC!! In addition, no blind tax on energy on the premise that CO2 is pollution. If it is such a problem, invest in nuclear power and not cap and trade.

3. Adress the issue of illegal immigration. Either change the laws on the books or enforce the laws on the books we have today. What's the deal?

4. Stop trying to control the press and free speech. You are scaring us. What do you hope to accomplish other than embarrassment?.
  5. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 19:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I seriously doubt Obama wants the like of your's respect.
    If he stops caring what the American citizen voters think, can you blame the people that have driven his poll numbers down from his honeymoon period?

Independents have been walking away for good reason and are a sure sign of dissatisfaction.
  6. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 19:43
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    why not move the troops to afghanistan? isn't that where he said they were needed, way back when?
    Agreed
  7. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 19:46
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Every industrialized country apart from the US has some form of mandatory health insurance, be it in the form of taxation or mandatory private insurance. In most of these countries, health care reform is not on the political agenda. How do you explain this?
    Please like free and subsidized stuff even if it a short-term freebie at the cost of long-term economic performance, that doesn't mean these things don't accumulate and decay.

Let's reverse Chinua Achebe's phrase

my paraphrase: ill fares the land, to worsening ills a prey, where health is centralized, and men decay.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree