1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:20
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Obama sends a letter to Congress, telling the Chamber that Republicans are going to ruin Christmas. Wow. All they have to do, he says, is let tax cuts for Americans earning more than $250,000 annually expire.

The amount of money he is willing to go to war over, to throw the country over the fiscal cliff over, runs the government for 45 days.
    ...[text shortened]... com/politics/2012/11/26/obama-warns-republican-rejecting-his-tax-offer-will-spoil-christmas-for/
    President Obama is not the only one willing to let our great country supposedly go over the fiscal cliff for the wealthly to pay their fair share of taxes. Over half of Americans are standing behind him and have his back. Once the new house and senate come into power in January everything will get strightened out. We're ready for the bungie jump. Bring it on. 😀
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    By letting the whole tax cut expire, you make more people across the spectrum pay income tax, increasing their skin in the game and invite wider participation in the marketplace of ideas for what government ought to spend $$ on.

I thought the Bush tax cuts were bad in the first place and I'm all for letting them all expire, especially the transfer tax cuts. ...[text shortened]... tantially all of the people who can afford to pay for it, then it's probably not worth doing.
    I don't buy the "skin in the game" argument as if those who make too little to pay federal income tax somehow have no reason to care or even less reason to care what the government spends money on.

There are plenty of people who do pay taxes who are too apathetic to participate in the marketplace of ideas so that in itself isn't a primary incentive to get people active in that arena.

I also don't see that as a very good reason to tax someone or anyone.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I don't buy the "skin in the game" argument as if those who make too little to pay federal income tax somehow have no reason to care or even less reason to care what the government spends money on.

There are plenty of people who do pay taxes who are too apathetic to participate in the marketplace of ideas so that in itself isn't a primary incentive to ...[text shortened]... ve in that arena.

I also don't see that as a very good reason to tax someone or anyone.
    It's not a reason in and of itself, but it's a factor. You don't think people might be more careful about what they demand that government spend if they think it's going to come from their own pocket? When my local library wanted to do what I thought was an unnecessary expansion, we voters voted it down 2:1. Why? Because we knew it was going to come out of our pockets in the form of higher property taxes. If the someone else was going to pay for it, it would have passed.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:34
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    President Obama is not the only one willing to let our great country supposedly go over the fiscal cliff for the wealthly to pay their fair share of taxes. Over half of Americans are standing behind him and have his back. Once the new house and senate come into power in January everything will get strightened out. We're ready for the bungie jump. Bring it on. 😀
    Amazingly foolish.
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:402 edits
    It's not a reason in and of itself, but it's a factor. You don't think people might be more careful about what they demand that government spend if they think it's going to come from their own pocket? When my local library wanted to do what I thought was an unnecessary expansion, we voters voted it down 2:1. Why? Because we knew it was going to come out of our ...[text shortened]... of higher property taxes. If the someone else was going to pay for it, it would have passed.
    You need to get something correct. EVERYONE in America pays taxes. You can't spend a penny or pay a bill without paying taxes. So saying that their is some who don't pay taxes is nothing but a lie.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:44
    It's not a reason in and of itself, but it's a factor. You don't think people might be more careful about what they demand that government spend if they think it's going to come from their own pocket? When my local library wanted to do what I thought was an unnecessary expansion, we voters voted it down 2:1. Why? Because we knew it was going to come out of our ...[text shortened]... of higher property taxes. If the someone else was going to pay for it, it would have passed.
    I do think in some cases people might become more interested and I guess that could be a factor, I just don't think it's inherently a reason that overrides the possible harm it would do in the way that you're taking income away from people who actually need it to get by.

If you impose a tax on someone that will make it harder for them to actually put food on the table then sure, they'll be interested but they'll care more that it's making their lives that much more difficult rather than whether it's going to defense spending or whatever. I also don't think it'll somehow make it that politicians will start listening to them - they won't. They'll still only listen to the people that actually put butter on their bread,.
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:45
    Amazingly foolish.
    Yes the tea party is. I agree. 😀
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:522 edits
    You need to get something correct. EVERYONE in America pays taxes. You can't spend a penny or pay a bill without paying taxes. So saying that their is some who don't pay taxes is nothing but a lie.
    I'm talking about federal income taxes. That is what is up for discussion. That people pay sales tax or payroll tax or property tax or whatever is not germane to the issue of federal spending. None of those taxes that everyone pays goes towards federal spending.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 15:57
    I'm talking about federal income taxes. That is what is up for discussion. That people pay sales tax or payroll tax or property tax or whatever is not germane to the issue of federal spending. None of those taxes that everyone pays goes towards federal spending.
    If you pay any federal tax you help pay towards our federal spending. Look at how much money goes to the federal goverment from every gallon of gas. If we didn't have federal tax on Gas it would be MUCH cheaper. 😉
  10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:04
    Yes the tea party is. I agree. 😀
    Who do you think you're addressing? Me? I'm not part of the Tea Party. Just a red-blooded Republican who wants to keep what I make.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:12
    Who do you think you're addressing? Me? I'm not part of the Tea Party. Just a red-blooded Republican who wants to keep what I make.
    who wants to keep what I make.

Yeah we all would like that if it were possible. But it's NOT. And this great country we live in takes money to run and defend ourselves. And the more blessed you are by living in America, The more you should have to help out our country. So we ALL have to pitch in according to our abilities. It's ALWAYS been that way, And it always will stay that way. No free rides for the wealthly any longer. Sorry. Not. 😀
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:30
    [b]who wants to keep what I make.

Yeah we all would like that if it were possible. But it's NOT. And this great country we live in takes money to run and defend ourselves. And the more blessed you are by living in America, The more you should have to help out our country. So we ALL have to pitch in according to our abilities. It's ALWAY ...[text shortened]... nd it always will stay that way. No free rides for the wealthly any longer. Sorry. Not. 😀[/b]
    Notable about your post: "We ALL have to pitch in according to our abilities."

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."

--Karl Marx, 1875

Did you mean to out yourself as a Marxist? Or was that an accident? Because you're very hard to take seriously now.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:401 edit
    Notable about your post: "We ALL have to pitch in according to our abilities."

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."

--Karl Marx, 1875

Did you mean to out yourself as a Marxist? Or was that an accident? Because you're very hard to take seriously now.
    Did you mean to out yourself as a Marxist?

lol, That's all you fools can ever come back with is a attack against someones patriotism if they disagree with your greed. You can call me what you want. I'm a American and proud of it. And I pay my taxes and don't mind doing so as long as theres no waste or stealing and everyone else is paying their fair share also. LOL

Pay up you greedy, selfish, self-centered SUCKER. 😀
  14. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:49
    [b]Did you mean to out yourself as a Marxist?

lol, That's all you fools can ever come back with is a attack against someones patriotism if they disagree with your greed. You can call me what you want. I'm a American and proud of it. And I pay my taxes and don't mind doing so as long as theres no waste or stealing and everyone else is paying their fair share also. LOL

Pay up you greedy, selfish, self-centered SUCKER. 😀[/b]
    You're an American who espouses Marxism. You all but quoted him.
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:54
    You're an American who espouses Marxism. You all but quoted him.
    You all but quoted him.

And in your greed and selfishness you've all but quoted satan and his will for man. So what's your point. lol. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree