1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 02:29
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It will take us about 30 minutes to complete the required 1099s, since we already have all the information on our invoices, and can just plug that information into tax software. We'll probably have a beer while we're filling in the forms. The horror!

You can't remember me criticizing the current administration? Jeez, whodey, you haven't been paying atten ...[text shortened]... r, just like most of his Democrat cronies. I am no friend of the current of administration.
    So as a small business, how are you doing? Have you had to lay off anyone? If so, why?

Also, are you a bit afraid of what Obamacare might do to the business in terms of increased costs, especially when the plan does not go into effect for two more years? I suppose my question is, are you afraid to hire right now based upon possible unknowns of Obamacare or possible knowledge that costs will increase significantly?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 02:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    So as a small business, how are you doing? Have you had to lay off anyone? If so, why?

Also, are you a bit afraid of what Obamacare might do to the business in terms of increased costs, especially when the plan does not go into effect for two more years? I suppose my question is, are you afraid to hire right now based upon possible unknowns of Obamacare or possible knowledge that costs will increase significantly?
    How exactly could the health care reform possibly increase costs to a business the size of the one bbarr mentioned?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 04:14
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How exactly could the health care reform possibly increase costs to a business the size of the one bbarr mentioned?
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/Obamacare-would-hurt-small-business-7954840-50488667.html

The last think stuggling small businesses need now is yet another employer from the government, but they will be getting a big one if Congress passes Obamacare. And the last thing the economy needs is more unemployment, which this budget-busting, jobs-killing bill virtually assures. The CBO initially estimated the cost of Obamacare at a staggering $1 trillion to insure 16 million of the 43.8 million Americans now without health insurance. According to the Heritage Foundation, Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee staffers reworked the original unpalatable draft to get the price down to $597 billion to insure 20 million people by 2019. They did so by dramatically reducing subsidy levels, and also by adding a proposal requiring small companies with more than 25 employees to offer health care coverage or pay $750 per employee. Terry Neese, at the National Center for Policy analysis, says small business owners like her are worred that this provision, in addition to an Obama administration proposal to mandate sick leave for companies with 25 employees (the current threshhold is 50 employees) will force them to lay off workers. "A lumber yard owner in Georgia who has 29 employees told me that he will have to let four people go," Neese told "The Examiner". Small businesses have already been hit hard by the recession. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 35% of net job losses during the first three quarters of 2008 were at firms with fewer than 20 employees, unlike conditions after 9/11 when small companies accounted for less than one percent of net job loses. Obamacare will hit small businesses hard when they are already down. In 1989, Larry Summers, now Obama's director of the National Economic Council, wrote, "There is no sense in which benefits become "free" just because the government mandates that employers offer them to workers.....so they are likely to create unemployement." Small businesses need family, friendly, flexible, portable, and affordable health insurance for their employees. While Obamacare tantalizingly offers some small firms subsidized relief from rising health care costs in the short term, in the long term it will force up their taxes and add yet another burdensome government mandate that will wind up costing many employees their jobs.
  4. Joined
    18 Aug '10
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 04:15
    Your mom
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 04:49
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/Obamacare-would-hurt-small-business-7954840-50488667.html

The last think stuggling small businesses need now is yet another employer from the government, but they will be getting a big one if Congress passes Obamacare. And the last thing the economy needs is more unemployment, which this budget-busting, jobs-killi ...[text shortened]... ther burdensome government mandate that will wind up costing many employees their jobs.
    LMAO!!! An article written 8 months before a law is actually passed is hardly an accurate gauge of what effect the law will have. In fact, virtually none of the proposed provisions that that particular article was screeching about made it into the final bill.
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 05:29

Well, it's a recession, so business could be better. But we're getting some wholesale accounts and streamlining retail and production, so we're still doing alright. If I-1098 passes here in WA, we'll get a break on paying B&O taxes to the state, which makes a small but noticeable difference. We fired somebody for not doing her job, but haven't had to lay anybody off. We're not looking to hire, since business doesn't warrant any extra front of the house staff. I haven't found any provisions in the health care legislation that will raise our costs, but we only have a dozen or more full-time employees. I'm much more worried about sales tax increases locally than I am increased costs from health care reform.
  7. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 05:58
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Well, it's a recession, so business could be better. But we're getting some wholesale accounts and streamlining retail and production, so we're still doing alright. [...] I'm much more worried about sales tax increases locally than I am increased costs from health care reform.
    "He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn
    what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless
    misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast!
    Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all
    right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won
    the victory over himself."
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 06:09
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    "He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn
    what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless
    misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast!
    Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all
    right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won
    the victory over himself."
    We haven't seen Goldstein in ages.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 13:101 edit
    LMAO!!! An article written 8 months before a law is actually passed is hardly an accurate gauge of what effect the law will have. In fact, virtually none of the proposed provisions that that particular article was screeching about made it into the final bill.
    Since you seem to be intimiate with all trillion words or so in the new legislation, that has not even seen the light of day as of yet, perhaps you can provide me evidence for this claim.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 16:01
    Since you seem to be intimiate with all trillion words or so in the new legislation, that has not even seen the light of day as of yet, perhaps you can provide me evidence for this claim.
    If you don't even know what's in the law as passed, what credibility do your claims regarding health care reform have? Zip and zero.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 16:24
    If you don't even know what's in the law as passed, what credibility do your claims regarding health care reform have? Zip and zero.
    I see, so your claim that the provision has been removed from the legislation is baseless. In fact, you have no idea what is in it do you?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 16:31
    I see, so your claim that the provision has been removed from the legislation is baseless. In fact, you have no idea what is in it do you?
    No, you're simply brazenly lying as you invariably do.

This: a proposal requiring small companies with more than 25 employees to offer health care coverage or pay $750 per employee.

IS NOT in the final bill.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 17:08
    No, you're simply brazenly lying as you invariably do.

This: a proposal requiring small companies with more than 25 employees to offer health care coverage or pay $750 per employee.

IS NOT in the final bill.
    All I did was offer an article of possible contention. It is YOU who just admitted that YOU did not read the bill. However, you brazzingly claim that it is not in the bill that you have not read. Is it me or does it seem to be YOU who are lying?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 22:32
    All I did was offer an article of possible contention. It is YOU who just admitted that YOU did not read the bill. However, you brazzingly claim that it is not in the bill that you have not read. Is it me or does it seem to be YOU who are lying?
    Where exactly did I admit that? As usual, you just make crap up. Of course, I haven't read the entire bill but unlike you, I have read summaries of the provisions of the bill in many places including business journals informing their readers of how the reform will affect their businesses.

You were asked a specific question: How exactly could the health care reform possibly increase costs to a business the size of the one bbarr mentioned?

You answered with a cut and paste of an article written 8 months before passage of the final bill that speculated on what might be in it. That hardly answers the question. In fact, you continue to dodge the question. This is the typical BS you pedal here; making an outrageous and untrue claim and then refusing to admit the untruthfulness of said claim. That is what makes you the biggest liar on this site.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '10 01:55
    Where exactly did I admit that? As usual, you just make crap up. Of course, I haven't read the entire bill but unlike you, I have read summaries of the provisions of the bill in many places including business journals informing their readers of how the reform will affect their businesses.

You were asked a specific question: How exactly ...[text shortened]... o admit the untruthfulness of said claim. That is what makes you the biggest liar on this site.
    First you say that you don't even know what is in the law as passed and then you make the claim that the provision memtioned in the article is not in the bill? Do you not find these two claims problematic?

As for the article, I think it pretty much self explanatory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree