1. silicon valley
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 04:25
    things look differently inside a country than out.

i don't think obama or the EU will counter them effectively and they'll have nukes within a few years.

at which point no1m will change his tune from "they're not pursing nuclear weapons" to (solely, this time) "why shouldn't they have nuclear weapons?"
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 04:46
    he don't look too good:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/energy-efficiency-President-Barack-Obama/photo//100305/480/7360250bc93848fc8331e216fa93eb05//s:/ap/20100306/ap_on_go_co/us_budget_deficits
  3. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 07:24
    If Obama keeps pushing massive healthcare spending down the throats of the legislature he will make his own supporters (voters and politicians alike) gag.

If he is to pass anything he should let the Republicans take the ball and run with it, and simply say here, show me a way to cut costs and increase coverage and I"ll sign it.

It can be done much better than his original proposal.

There can be some compromise, but I don't think tweaking the current bills has much of a chance.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 08:48
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    If Obama keeps pushing massive healthcare spending down the throats of the legislature he will make his own supporters (voters and politicians alike) gag.

If he is to pass anything he should let the Republicans take the ball and run with it, and simply say here, show me a way to cut costs and increase coverage and I"ll sign it.

It can be done much ...[text shortened]... ere can be some compromise, but I don't think tweaking the current bills has much of a chance.
    What's up with this whole "pushing down the throat" thing? Isn't any law "pushed down the throat"? Why is US politics so dominated by meaningless rhetoric?
  5. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 18:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's up with this whole "pushing down the throat" thing? Isn't any law "pushed down the throat"? Why is US politics so dominated by meaningless rhetoric?
    Here's why it fits on healthcare,
    right now the centerpiece of Obama's pet projects is healthcare reform,
    when the centerpiece of FDR's response to the Great Depression was economic reform of banks, of employee benefits, etc.

More glaringly obvious, in Massachussets Kennedy's seat was taken by a Republican even when Obama stumped in the safe Democratic seat seeing the change the people were demanding away from the way Democrats were not focussing on improving America's finances and economy. He stumped saying that without this Democrat seat, there would be no healthcare reform. Votes show the response of the American people.

Not every law is so blatently dismissive of popular will.

People may normally vote with their wallets, but especially durng the "great recession."

I say start over on healthcare and do something that instead of adding debt we can't afford based on the original proposal, listens to the other party's own reform proposals. Just as Americans have voted for.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 20:542 edits
    These Obama speeches are incredible.

YouTube&feature=related
    YouTube
    YouTube&NR=1
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 23:281 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What is meant is legislation that is opposed by the majority of Americans. In addition, politicians like Massa are targed and pressured to sign it through threats and intimidation.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 23:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is meant is legislation that is opposed by the majority of Americans. In addition, politicians like Massa are targed and pressured to sign it through threats and intimidation.
    That's because so many American's are so incredibly stupid and gullible they believe lies like death panels, tax-funded and/or forced abortions, rationing and........ "NHC"

With so many deliberately misinformed it's disingenuous to say they're "against" it. They're not against the bill, they're just against the strawman version of the bill.
  9. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 00:04
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    That's because so many American's are so incredibly stupid and gullible they believe lies like death panels, tax-funded and/or forced abortions, rationing and........ "NHC"

With so many deliberately misinformed it's disingenuous to say they're "against" it. They're not against the bill, they're just against the strawman version of the bill.
    So, something like 57 % of us Americans are incredibly stupid and gullible?
    What about those who voted for Barry in the 1st place? All of those people were smart "thinkers?
    I'd be interested in seeing how many people voted for Barry, but do not like his healthcare ideas.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 00:161 edit
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    So, something like 57 % of us Americans are incredibly stupid and gullible?
    What about those who voted for Barry in the 1st place? All of those people were smart "thinkers?
    I'd be interested in seeing how many people voted for Barry, but do not like his healthcare ideas.
    Nope. And I never said if all Americans were well informed 100% would support the bill.

But if you take that 57% and erased ALL of the lies about the bill (on either side) I'm willing to bet that number would be considerably smaller.

A more important number to my point would be how many voted for Obama and how many believe any of the dishonest talking points pushed about the bill.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 00:47

In the immortal words of Rahm Emmanuel, "They are all a bunch of retards".
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 00:491 edit
    Nope. And I never said if all Americans were well informed 100% would support the bill.

But if you take that 57% and erased ALL of the lies about the bill (on either side) I'm willing to bet that number would be considerably smaller.

A more important number to my point would be how many voted for Obama and how many believe any of the dishonest talking points pushed about the bill.
    When they include such earmarks as the Lousiana purchase and the Cornhusker kickback, its kind of hard to support such garbage. However, perhaps you can enlighten us. How can the US save a failing Medicare/Medicaid and, at the same time, increase benefits to millions more without decreasing the quality of care and further ballooning the deficit?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree