1. Germany
    Moves
    28 May '13 17:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think that we all have an inner nudge to help those in need.

That is why those that give are mostly faithbased operations. They actually try to listen to these inner voices and take time and money of their own to help.

Atheists tend to support dumping it all on the state to handle things. They cannot bring themselves to donate their time and money ...[text shortened]... taking it from them to help ease their conscience while not lifting a finger to help in any way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_charitable_countries
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    28 May '13 17:08
    I think that we all have an inner nudge to help those in need.

That is why those that give are mostly faithbased operations. They actually try to listen to these inner voices and take time and money of their own to help.

Atheists tend to support dumping it all on the state to handle things. They cannot bring themselves to donate their time and money ...[text shortened]... taking it from them to help ease their conscience while not lifting a finger to help in any way.
    What rubbish! Many do-good organizations, such as Habitate for Humanity and Red Cross are not faith based. Where you get that atheists are all Democrates or that atheists do not give their money and time to charity is just rubbish. from my perspective, many so called faith based charities are just an avenue for so called preachers to line their own pockets. They threaten their congregations with hellfire and damnation unless they fork over their money to the charity which is often just the minister's pocket.
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    28 May '13 17:48
    Originally posted by Phranny
    What rubbish! Many do-good organizations, such as Habitate for Humanity and Red Cross are not faith based. Where you get that atheists are all Democrates or that atheists do not give their money and time to charity is just rubbish. from my perspective, many so called faith based charities are just an avenue for so called preachers to line their own pocket ...[text shortened]... ion unless they fork over their money to the charity which is often just the minister's pocket.
    Which specific faith-based charities are you accusing?
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:31
    There are kinds of studies about this sort of thing. Here is one.

http://rationaldreaming.com/2010/04/19/are-religious-people-more-charitable-than-non-believers/

Religous people are 25% more likely to give to the poor than secularists.

It's OK to admit the truth every now and then, even though you may not like the results.

Now repeat after me. "R ...[text shortened]... o help my fellow man in need like those who are religious do."

Now was that so hard?
    I'm not shocked at your ignorance. Do you want to be serious, and be taken seriously? A Bing search page followed by arbitrary lies makes you look weak and stupid.

The subject matter itself is actually interesting and worthy of study.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 01:30
    Originally posted by Phranny
    What rubbish! Many do-good organizations, such as Habitate for Humanity and Red Cross are not faith based. Where you get that atheists are all Democrates or that atheists do not give their money and time to charity is just rubbish. from my perspective, many so called faith based charities are just an avenue for so called preachers to line their own pocket ...[text shortened]... ion unless they fork over their money to the charity which is often just the minister's pocket.
    Many of the organizations which do the most good for people are not charities, but for profit businesses.

Walmart for example, helps millions, by distributing low cost merchandise, and by employing thousands. It is entirely voluntary, people working for the company because they choose to, and people shopping there for similar reasons.

The great majority of aid to people gets to the beneficiaries in this manner, and society benefits as individuals do better.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 02:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_charitable_countries
    Yes that list shows the most charitable countries are Northern European.
    compare with
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_by_country

mmmmmmmm 😏

Maybe those religious guys are not as generous as some thought?
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 07:55
    There are kinds of studies about this sort of thing. Here is one.

http://rationaldreaming.com/2010/04/19/are-religious-people-more-charitable-than-non-believers/

Religous people are 25% more likely to give to the poor than secularists.

It's OK to admit the truth every now and then, even though you may not like the results.

Now repeat after me. "R ...[text shortened]... o help my fellow man in need like those who are religious do."

Now was that so hard?
    While studies do support the fact that religious people are more charitable, I must note that the discrepancy is not as big as you want it to be. In that 25%, giving to religious organizations is included. Giving to an organization that uses that money to organize religious activities that you attend is not really charity in the traditional sense. (Or I could claim my payments of humble indie bundles as charity). However, even accounting for that the difference is still 10% according to Whodey's study. Other studies generally agree with that, though there are some that find no link or a slight negative relation between "secular giving" and religious beliefs. The link is to an overview study on giving. The part on giving and religion starts on page 6.

http://www.wiepking.com/papers/BekkersWiepking_VSR_2011.pdf
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 21:01
    Originally posted by Barts
    While studies do support the fact that religious people are more charitable, ...
    My neighbour does a lot of charitable work for the Salvation Army and I
    often get roped in. We are both atheist but the work we do is seen as that
    of a religious organisation.

The fact is many charities were founded by religious people (OXFAM) but in
    reality are supported by the wider community.
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 08:131 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    My neighbour does a lot of charitable work for the Salvation Army and I
    often get roped in. We are both atheist but the work we do is seen as that
    of a religious organisation.

The fact is many charities were founded by religious people (OXFAM) but in
    reality are supported by the wider community.
    The studies I quoted don't look at whether the organizations are religious, but the volunteers themselves. What you are saying thus in no way changes the results of those studies.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 12:571 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Yes that list shows the most charitable countries are Northern European.
    compare with
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_by_country

mmmmmmmm 😏

Maybe those religious guys are not as generous as some thought?
    That list is discussing charity by the government, not by individuals. Governments in western countries are secular by nature.

In the WGI, which measures charitability of individuals, the US ranks higher than every European country but Ireland (a country that is quite religious by European standards, I might add).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Giving_Index#World_Giving_Index_rankings

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree