1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 16:551 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm not pulling down a billion dollars a year either. If we took my best year, it would take me 20,000 years to make what Och made in one year. That's sometime from the Middle Paleolithic Age until now. So whatever crumbs Och lets fall on this Robin Hood Foundation may assuage his guilty conscience, but are wholly insufficient to absolve his sins. You may p ...[text shortened]... elf before him in supplication if you wish, but you'll have to excuse me for not joining you.
    LOL. What a joke. His only "sin" is that he made more money than you think he deserved.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:02
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    LOL. What a joke. His only "sin" is that he made more money than you think he deserved.
    If anything is a sin, making a billion dollars in a world where tens of thousands starve surely makes the top ten list.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:17
    I'm not pulling down a billion dollars a year either. If we took my best year, it would take me 20,000 years to make what Och made in one year. That's sometime from the Middle Paleolithic Age until now. So whatever crumbs Och lets fall on this Robin Hood Foundation may assuage his guilty conscience, but they are wholly insufficient to absolve his sins. You ...[text shortened]... elf before him in supplication if you wish, but you'll have to excuse me for not joining you.
    He's not pulling down a billion dollars a year.
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:19
    If anything is a sin, making a billion dollars in a world where tens of thousands starve surely makes the top ten list.
    A world where you dictated what everyone was allowed to earn would be a poverty stricken hell. Thankfully it's not up to you, or the state, and it never will be.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:19
    Originally posted by Palynka
    He's not pulling down a billion dollars a year.
    Does it matter?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:27
    Does it matter?
    Yes, of course. You picked him because you thought this was extremely high compensation, so if you're vastly overstating his yearly income...it matters.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:29
    A world where you dictated what everyone was allowed to earn would be a poverty stricken hell. Thankfully it's not up to you, or the state, and it never will be.
    I'm not dictating anything. But a system where one man can rake in a billion dollars in one year, while 2.7 billion live on $2 per day or less, is morally bankrupt. 6 million children die of hunger every year, which is 17,000 per day, while Mr. Och ran his hedge fund. As the Ghost of Christmas Present said to Scrooge, "It may be that in the sight of Heaven you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child."
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:33
    Yes, of course. You picked him because you thought this was extremely high compensation, so if you're vastly overstating his yearly income...it matters.
    John Wayne Gacy killed 33 people, while Gary Gilmore killed only two. They are equally guilty of murder.
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:37
    I'm not dictating anything. But a system where one man can rake in a billion dollars in one year, while 2.7 billion live on $2 per day or less, is morally bankrupt. 6 million children die of hunger every year, which is 17,000 per day, while Mr. Och ran his hedge fund. As the Ghost of Christmas Present said to Scrooge, "It may be that in the sight of Heaven you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child."
    What "system" are you referring to?
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:37
    John Wayne Gacy killed 33 people, while Gary Gilmore killed only two. They are equally guilty of murder.
    I presume you make a lot more than 1 or 2 USD a day. Are you equally guilty?
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:42
    These people pay crazy amounts of taxes. They employee many other people directly and provide many jobs indirectly. They are not defaulting on their mortagages and are not collecting unemployement or other needs based entitlements. Unlike automobile companies they are not taking government handouts. The problem with the US is we do not have more people like this who contribute so much because this country badly needs the money.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:59
    No. They're both guilty of murder. They're not both "equally" guilty. Is Gary Gilmore as guilty as Pol Pot or Joseph Stalin*?

* I'm trying to avoid Hitler references except where necessary.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 18:30
    I presume you make a lot more than 1 or 2 USD a day. Are you equally guilty?
    How much money would it take to eradicate hunger across the globe? You start redistributing money from those at the top to those at the bottom until this goal has been met. Is the resulting upper limit less than my salary? If so, then I am guilty as well. But I would wager that that is not the case.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 18:31
    What "system" are you referring to?
    Take a guess. I bet you can do it in less than three tries.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 18:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    No. They're both guilty of murder. They're not both "equally" guilty. Is Gary Gilmore as guilty as Pol Pot or Joseph Stalin*?

* I'm trying to avoid Hitler references except where necessary.
    Godwin's law. It's inevitable.

Whether you kill one or kill 6 million, you're guilty of murder.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree