1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 18:39
    Originally posted by quackquack
    These people pay crazy amounts of taxes. They employee many other people directly and provide many jobs indirectly. They are not defaulting on their mortagages and are not collecting unemployement or other needs based entitlements. Unlike automobile companies they are not taking government handouts. The problem with the US is we do not have more people like this who contribute so much because this country badly needs the money.
    I would pay crazy amounts of taxes too if you paid me a billion dollars. Why do you think it is that we don't have more "productive" citizens like Mr. Och? Is it that the poor are just lazy bums, or is it that the system necessarily generates vast inequalities in wealth, thereby guaranteeing that a certain percentage of the population will wallow in poverty?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 19:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would pay crazy amounts of taxes too if you paid me a billion dollars. Why do you think it is that we don't have more "productive" citizens like Mr. Och? Is it that the poor are just lazy bums, or is it that the system necessarily generates vast inequalities in wealth, thereby guaranteeing that a certain percentage of the population will wallow in poverty?
    I think there are many reasons for why some people are productive and others are not. But if you are looking for one single reason, I would guess that people are under productive because of their own personal bad choices whether it is child preganancy, additction to drugs, excessive gambling, dropping out of high school. Wealthy people pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes and certain a larger total amount. Simply Mr. Och is not stealing anyones money -- in fact he contributes more money to society than just about anyone. We should not resent him, we should thank him for his contributions.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 19:13
    I think there are many reasons for why some people are productive and others are not. But if you are looking for one single reason, I would guess that people are under productive because of their own personal bad choices whether it is child preganancy, additction to drugs, excessive gambling, dropping out of high school. Wealthy people pay a higher per ...[text shortened]... ty than just about anyone. We should not resent him, we should thank him for his contributions.
    something just shot across the room .... i think it was rwingett's gasket ...
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 20:19
    I think there are many reasons for why some people are productive and others are not. But if you are looking for one single reason, I would guess that people are under productive because of their own personal bad choices whether it is child preganancy, additction to drugs, excessive gambling, dropping out of high school. Wealthy people pay a higher per ...[text shortened]... ty than just about anyone. We should not resent him, we should thank him for his contributions.
    We should thank the slave master for giving us a plantation to work on? Is it because of our bad choices that we're in chains while he has the whip? It sure costs a lot to run this plantation, we've got to work hard to make the master rich or we'd have nothing to eat at all.

Sounds to me like that is exactly what you're saying.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 20:23
    there's no mad rush of people for communist paradises like cuba.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 20:28
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    there's no mad rush of people for communist paradises like cuba.
    The only one talking about Cuba is you.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:20
    redistribution
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    We should thank the slave master for giving us a plantation to work on? Is it because of our bad choices that we're in chains while he has the whip? It sure costs a lot to run this plantation, we've got to work hard to make the master rich or we'd have nothing to eat at all.

Sounds to me like that is exactly what you're saying.
    What planet are you on?
    The employees of Och-Ziff Capital are well compensated and they are free to leave. To call it a plantation is just foolish. Why are you so bitter you don't pay to support them. In fact they pay an obscene amount of taxes to support programs that benefit you.
    No one is legally in chains and whips in this country but if there are some consequences for peoples bad decisions, that isn't so bad either. Is it? Maybe people need to understand that when you spend on a credit card you have to pay it back or if you buy a house it can go down in value.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:25
    redistribution
    What do you think a progressive tax is?
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:26
    they don't already pay tax?
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:29
    What planet are you on?
    The employees of Och-Ziff Capital are well compensated and they are free to leave. To call it a plantation is just foolish. Why are you so bitter you don't pay to support them. In fact they pay an obscene amount of taxes to support programs that benefit you.
    No one is legally in chains and whips in this country but if there ar ...[text shortened]... spend on a credit card you have to pay it back or if you buy a house it can go down in value.
    It appears that I'm not on the same planet you're on. Or even in the same galaxy.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:31
    We already have redistributive taxes. You just seem to want to punish the wealthy. Wealth people provide jobs and pay pleanty of taxes. I think we are all better off when we appreciate their contribution and encourage them to go to work then to bad mounth those who contribute most.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:34
    they don't already pay tax?
    They're not paying nearly enough. As long as there are people still starving in this world then the billionaires are not paying nearly enough taxes. Taxes on the rich should continue to increase until hunger has been fully eradicated. If billionaires are turned into lowly millionaires, then so be it.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:37
    did it work in the UK?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 21:40
    We already have redistributive taxes. You just seem to want to punish the wealthy. Wealth people provide jobs and pay pleanty of taxes. I think we are all better off when we appreciate their contribution and encourage them to go to work then to bad mounth those who contribute most.
    The slavish devotion you display to this trickle-down fantasy of yours is revolting. Why should I be thankful to the rich for stealing the wealth of the poor and then paying back a fraction of it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree