1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 14:04
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-03a80bba121676e7a6ac1f0ce5a8c9c3
    No idea where that chart comes from, but we have paid holidays and paid vacation in the US. Not as much as they do in most European countries, but the "0" on that chart is simply inaccurate.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 14:28
    Originally posted by @sh76
    No idea where that chart comes from, but we have paid holidays and paid vacation in the US. Not as much as they do in most European countries, but the "0" on that chart is simply inaccurate.
    So if not zero paid holidays, then how many paid days can Americans take per year without protests from employers?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 14:371 edit
    So if not zero paid holidays, then how many paid days can Americans take per year without protests from employers?
    It varies by job, industry, company and experience, but according to the BLS, the average number of paid holidays is about 8, paid vacation days between 8 and 16, depending on experience and paid sick days between 8 and 11 depending on experience.

This is a total of 24-35 paid off days, on average. This may not be as many as you have in Europe, but it's hardly zero.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ebs.t05.htm

Edit: That's an old chart and figuring out what data is accurate and current is not easy, but that seems about right. Where I work, people get 14 paid vacation days plus up to 10 paid sick/personal days, in addition to the standard paid holidays.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 14:43
    It varies by job, industry, company and experience, but according to the BLS, the average number of paid holidays is about 8, paid vacation days between 8 and 16, depending on experience and paid sick days between 8 and 11 depending on experience.

This is a total of 24-35 paid off days, on average. This may not be as many as you have in Europe, but it's har ...[text shortened]... vacation days plus up to 10 paid sick/personal days, in addition to the standard paid holidays.
    So, it's just to say that "I need a week off with full pay. Let's say the first week of July?" And you get it? Even at McDonalds? Or as a teacher? Or whatever?

I can do this for five weeks, by law, that feels good!
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 14:54
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    [quote]Although the majority of Americans do have access to some paid vacation, the U.S. largely requires employees to spend more days of the year working than other developed nations. A survey conducted by travel company Expedia last year found that (perhaps unsurprisingly) longer vacations are far more commonplace in Europe than in North America. (Canada ...[text shortened]... vacation-american-workers/?llid=vWRRv&ls=dd&type=cpc&campaign=vWRRv

So how do Americans cope?
    Not for nothing, but Spain is in the toilet...
    Not for nothing, but the "U.S." requires no such thing...
    but we don't expect Expedia to write a coherent sentence when they're marketing where the money is (America) to use their service and take more vacations...
    Should I be surprised that Expedia is cited to offer expertise by this collection...
    I am. Silly me.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 15:03
    It's incredible to watch the Ameriphobes turn absolutely every American characteristic, even industriousness, into some sort of negative.
    But you are only negativeness.

Seriously. A virus with shoes on.
    Thanks be to God that your little empire is in its death throws. You've brought nothing but pain and misery to the world the last 60 years.

Okay, I'll make a few exceptions: star wars and Springsteen concerts.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 15:04

This is a total of 24-35 paid off days, on average. This may not be as many as you have in Europe, but it's har ...[text shortened]... vacation days plus up to 10 paid sick/personal days, in addition to the standard paid holidays.
    What happens if you break your arms and can't work longer than 3 weeks?
    Do they just stop your pay?
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 15:10
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Why do you believe the US would have a better system if you received pay whether or not you go to work for weeks at a time?
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 16:05
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Why do you believe the US would have a better system if you received pay whether or not you go to work for weeks at a time?
    I don't know if the US would.
    I am genuinly interested, though, what happens if you are off sick longer than your paid sick days.

And if you're not sick, you just lose those days?
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 17:02
    I am genuinly interested, though, what happens if you are off sick longer than your paid sick days.

There isn't one uniform rule/policy in the US, but I think as a general rule if you use up all of your sick days you would not be entitled to continue receive money.
    Some places carry over sick days to future years; some places have a use it or lose it. Some combine vacation with sick days so you just have a certain number of days where you are allowed to be out of work and still be paid.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 18:49
    Workers compensation, disability and unemployment benefits are designed to fill those gaps.

I presume that even European laws have some limitation. Surely you don't force employers to pay sick workers indefinitely? What if an employee is sick for 2 decades? Does an employer have to keep paying?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 18:511 edit

There are certain minimal standards, but mostly, we rely on the free market to set the rules and so vacation policy varies from company to company.

The FMLA requires employers to allow 3 months of leave for illness or family emergencies, but that's unpaid.

We don't need the government to dictate absolutely everything, you know.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 23:29

Best money I made as a boiler maker was as a contractor. Work one hour get paid one hour, no regulated sick pay, maternity leave, vacation time, the market determined the hourly rate. Then you realise what BS the union propaganda is.

Ahh, the two month vacations, miss those days.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 02:14
    Aflac
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 02:27
    So, it's just to say that "I need a week off with full pay. Let's say the first week of July?" And you get it? Even at McDonalds? Or as a teacher? Or whatever?

I can do this for five weeks, by law, that feels good!
    Pretty much all teachers get the entire month of July off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree