Passion not enough: political hobbyism on RHP

Passion not enough: political hobbyism on RHP

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Feb 20

Read a book!

Moves
17 Feb 20

When it comes to politics, some things are better left unsaid.

Moves
17 Feb 20
1 edit

@handyandy said
“ Keeping up with American politics can feel like a feat. And we tend to think that knowing the latest news means that we're engaged. But what happens when being informed is the end of our commitment to politics?

"The way that people are doing politics is much more similar to a hobby than to what I think of as politics, which is, you know, acquiring power," says Eitan Hersh, a professor of political science at Tufts University. He says many Americans are engaging in what he calls "political hobbyism."

"What they're actually doing is not participating themselves in any active way. They're really just following the news."

This news increasingly comes from cable TV and social media, and the stories that get our attention are usually national stories, not local ones. Scandals and entertainment are also more appealing than discussions of policy or even what's happening in our own neighborhoods.

"What news do political junkies demand? Outrage and gossip. Why? Because it's alluring. What news do we avoid? Local news. Why? It's boring," Hersh writes in his book, Politics is for Power.”

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/10/804612601/passion-isnt-enough-the-rise-of-political-hobbyism-in-the-united-states

Read a book!

Moves
17 Feb 20
1 edit

@js357 said
“ Keeping up with American politics can feel like a feat. And we tend to think that knowing the latest news means that we're engaged. But what happens when being informed is the end of our commitment to politics?

"The way that people are doing politics is much more similar to a hobby than to what I think of as politics, which is, you know, acquiring power," says Eitan Hersh, ...[text shortened]... npr.org/2020/02/10/804612601/passion-isnt-enough-the-rise-of-political-hobbyism-in-the-united-states
News, unfortunately, has become entertainment. Daily newspapers and quality magazines are dying. Social media have pushed to the forefront dozens of new information sources, many of them biased or unreliable. The current administration in Washington follows a script written for a reality TV show.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Feb 20

@JS357

Politics goes on at many levels and ultimately involves community service, not just power. For example, helping out at a local soup kitchen, dispensing food to homeless people, is politics at a level feasible for anyone who cares about his or her community.

There is, however, in America, a very strong and vocal segment of the population which has a visceral mistrust and hatred of government and regulation in all its forms. They have a vote in the world's showcase democracy and yet do nothing but gripe about 'goobermint' taking away their rights. Political dilettantes they are.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Feb 20
2 edits

@handyandy said
News, unfortunately, has become entertainment. Daily newspapers and quality magazines are dying. Social media have pushed to the forefront dozens of new information sources, many of them biased or unreliable. The current administration in Washington follows a script written for a reality TV show.
There's a script?? I think they're ad libbing their way through, one crisis after another.

w

Moves
17 Feb 20
1 edit

@js357 said

"The way that people are doing politics is much more similar to a hobby than to what I think of as politics, which is, you know, acquiring power," says Eitan Hersh, ...[text shortened]... npr.org/2020/02/10/804612601/passion-isnt-enough-the-rise-of-political-hobbyism-in-the-united-states
Just stick with CNN and you will be well informed.

(Chuckle)

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
17 Feb 20

@whodey said
Just stick with CNN and you will be well informed.

(Chuckle)
fox news

bawahaha

w

Moves
17 Feb 20
1 edit

@lemondrop said
fox news

bawahaha
Huffington Post

No, they are not really as bad as CNN, but who is?

That said, they are not much better.

Lake Como

Moves
18 Feb 20

@handyandy said
Give Handy a star for this post!!!!! very clever

w

Moves
18 Feb 20

@averagejoe1 said
Give Handy a star for this post!!!!! very clever
I say "some things" all the time and it's not like lightening tries to strike me or anything.

I realize many try to avoid the topic of politics/religion at all costs.

Me, on the other hand, I go right to it. That's because both address how we should behave and think. Everything else is fluff.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
18 Feb 20

@js357 said

I read this great article, I think it was in a Dutch newspaper... but hell, maybe I dreamt it... Old age is creeping in...

And it was saying that following the news is a waste of time and only serves to ruin your concentration on a daily basis.
It basically addicts you to a pointless constantly checking up to see what’s going on. A bit like social media.
There’s 99.999999% of the time nothing happening that’s really going to influence your life on the short time.
With, perhaps, the exception of the weather... but you’ll generally hear that through other outlets than the news anyway.

The suggestion was, not to watch the news except for 2 hours straight on a Sunday morning.
That way you’ll get a good recap of the week (which in itself makes me think it must have been a Dutch article, for most English articles would suggest Sunday was the first day of the week... well, there you go...) and anything important will get mentioned.

Moves
18 Feb 20

@whodey said
I say "some things" all the time and it's not like lightening tries to strike me or anything.

I realize many try to avoid the topic of politics/religion at all costs.

Me, on the other hand, I go right to it. That's because both address how we should behave and think. Everything else is fluff.
You are the prototypical political hobbyist.

Moves
18 Feb 20

@handyandy said
I feel the same about religious beliefs. In that realm, one size never fits all and I'm OK with that.