1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 15:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Paying people what they are worth
    How is it possible to know what a person's job is worth?

If you ask him, then he would answer: "Better than I have!"
    If you ask his employer, then he would answer: "He already has more than he's worth!"

So, how can you know his value, in order to give him a fair salary?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 15:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    how can you know his value, in order to give him a fair salary?
    Well that is, in essence, the question that the OP raises.

What is your answer?

In the case of the train driver, we "can you know his value" when he refuses to work for what he says is low pay. Commerce grinds to a semi-halt, billions are lost. It seems pretty clear that the strike establishes that the train drivers are worth more than they are getting.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 15:234 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the supply of drivers with 10-20 years' experience endless?
    The better question is, is this experience crucial? My guess is no.

I would like to go a step further about high paying positions like that of a lawyer and/or doctor. Considering the level of dependence that the wealthy has upon them, they are paid the same peanuts that the drivers are paid.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 15:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    The better question is, is this experience crucial?
    Perhaps you think not. But I am inclined to think that, in the real world, safety is the highest priority on a mass rapid transit system.
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 16:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps the workers themselves do, by striking - and in doing so demonstrating how vital they are to everybody else's prosperity.
    but they're always going to overestimate their own worth.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 16:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well that is, in essence, the question that the OP raises.

What is your answer?

In the case of the train driver, we "can you know his value" when he refuses to work for what he says is low pay. Commerce grinds to a semi-halt, billions are lost. It seems pretty clear that the strike establishes that the train drivers are worth more than they are getting.
    That's right, therefore I gave you the right answer: It's plain impossible.
  7. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 16:42
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    The problem is, who determines a worker's worth?
    Supply and demand, ultimately.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 16:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    The better question is, is this experience crucial? My guess is no.

I would like to go a step further about high paying positions like that of a lawyer and/or doctor. Considering the level of dependence that the wealthy has upon them, they are paid the same peanuts that the drivers are paid.
    I wouldn't put lawyer generally in the class of "high paid" like a physician.

While some lawyers make very high salaries (200K+). The majority make much less.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Attorney_/_Lawyer/Salary

Compare that to a physician.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/People_with_Jobs_as_Physicians_/_Doctors/Salary

Lawyers get too much credit for income.
  9. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps the workers themselves do, by striking - and in doing so demonstrating how vital they are to everybody else's prosperity.
    In many instances strikers could easily be replaced if only the governing body of the day were willing to permit it. I well remember the occasion, back in the 80s, when President Reagan successfully replaced a large number of recalcitrant air traffic controllers overnight and thus prervented them holding the nation to ransom.
    Many inveterate strikers like the miners, dockworkers, printworkers, and carworkers have ended up striking themselves and their colleagues out a job altogether. In the case of postal delivery workers it is hard to imagine a more simple and less demanding task; the only qualifications needed being able to read and walk so they could be more easily replaced than most.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    So are you, broadly speaking, inclined towards seeing the role of government as protecting employers from their employees, or protecting employees from their employers?
    Protecting both to the extent deemed necessary; protecting neither to an extent greater than necessary.

Of course, you can play with the definition of necessary; but that is broadly speaking.
  11. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:14
    Extortion is the best way to get a raise.

GRANNY.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:17
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Extortion is the best way to get a raise.

GRANNY.
    It's also the best way to get yourself fired when things calm down and you're no longer indispensable.

Charge a drowning man an exorbitant fee for a lifeboat and he'll pay anything for it. But he'll remember too...
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:22
    As a government employee, I am offended by the tone of this thread. Lets keep away from any discussion of employee's worth.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:24
    Originally posted by badmoon
    As a government employee, I am offended by the tone of this thread. Lets keep away from any discussion of employee's worth.
    The worth of the employee or the worth of the employee's work?
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:39
    Originally posted by telerion
    The worth of the employee or the worth of the employee's work?
    As a government employee, I am offended by difficult questions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree