1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:43
    Originally posted by badmoon
    As a government employee, I am offended by difficult questions.
    Well, don't injure yourself thinking about it too much. Safety first, you know. 🙂
  2. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:58
    Originally posted by badmoon
    As a government employee, I am offended by the tone of this thread. Lets keep away from any discussion of employee's worth.
    You appear to be easily offended. In the UK those employed by the government are the lucky ones.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 20:00
    Every person on this planet is worth more than all the money and treasure on the planet.

Unfortunately we can't pay them what they're worth. There are just too many people and not enough stuff.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 20:19
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    You appear to be easily offended. In the UK those employed by the government are the lucky ones.
    I've been a public servant for over 18 years. I can retire in four if I want or can afford to. Not such a bad gig.
  5. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 20:55
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's also the best way to get yourself fired when things calm down and you're no longer indispensable.

Charge a drowning man an exorbitant fee for a lifeboat and he'll pay anything for it. But he'll remember too...
    Ha, when's the last time you saw an extortionist get fired, or receive a pay cut ?

GRANNY.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 22:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you think not. But I am inclined to think that, in the real world, safety is the highest priority on a mass rapid transit system.
    Like I said, it all depends on how hard the job is and how hard it is to train others to take their place. I simply don't know enough to answer this.

Having said that, the other way of tackling the issue of not having any money is to go after Big Brother and his taxes. Of course, those on the left deplore this avenue of economic freedom.
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Here is another back-of-a-fag-packet hypothetical topic that need only be taken seriously as any willing poster thinks it deserves.

Let's say some workers go on strike for higher wages and one of the arguments in the dispute is that they shouldn't go on strike because of how much money is lost by everybody as a result of their industrial action. Isn't that ju ...[text shortened]... ey was at stake, aren't these simply compelling arguments for paying the train drivers more?
    Paying people what they are worth is NOT part of Capitalist economic theory. As I recall from my college economics classes, our professors repeated over and over the corporate mantra: "The number one priority of the corporation is to maximize profits, and miminize loss" If this means exporting your job to China, so be it. In todays world, this also extends to municipalities such as Cities, and Federal goverments. Long story short: THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR WORTH. You'll take what they give you...and like it!😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree