1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 May '12 16:13
    And Communism. And Apartheid.

Haven't heard this much melodramatic whining from right wingers since, well, a week or two ago when they declared that mandating contraception coverage in insurance plans is Nazism, communism...

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/conservatives-liken-dem-tax-dodging-bill-to-nazis-soviets.php?ref=fpblg

Of course, supporting gay marriage is akin to Nazism. And criticizing Rush. And public health care. And 55 mph speed limits. And....
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 May '12 17:13
    "Never set foot on American soil again" seems a bit harsh.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    21 May '12 17:57
    If the guy is no longer a citizen and has moved to Singapore, why should he continue paying for US govt services he will no longer receive?
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 May '12 18:09
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    If the guy is no longer a citizen and has moved to Singapore, why should he continue paying for US govt services he will no longer receive?
    Oh, maybe because he wouldn't have made his fortune without the benefit of those services? They're still protecting his fortune. For free now.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 May '12 18:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It's what would apply to any other citizen. Is he entitled to special treatment because he's rich?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 May '12 18:11
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    It's what would apply to any other citizen. Is he entitled to special treatment because he's rich?
    It seems harsh for ANYBODY.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 May '12 20:35
    It seems harsh for ANYBODY.
    I believe you can get around simply by paying your taxes. I could be wrong.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 May '12 02:31
    I believe you can get around simply by paying your taxes. I could be wrong.
    A lot of people believe their taxes to be excessive, not just the rich. I don't know of anyone who intentionally tries to pay the maximum amount of taxes, in fact the opposite is true.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 May '12 06:51
    This is another one of those things that taxing rental properties helps avoid. As a French knight once said, "they can't take the land with them".
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 May '12 06:53
    Originally posted by normbenign
    A lot of people believe their taxes to be excessive, not just the rich. I don't know of anyone who intentionally tries to pay the maximum amount of taxes, in fact the opposite is true.
    I dont know about banning someone from their country of birth; but I would seriously consider a boycot of facebook if I was a U.S citizen, He is in effect sucking dollars out of the U.S and carting it off to singapore.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '12 10:22
    But he is a "selfish" man. The state needs to punish all sinners such as he even though he nas not broken a law.

But hey, at least he pays taxes which is more than you can say for people like Tim Geithner and even Warren Buffet. Of course, they are the "good" selfish sinners so that is OK. 😛
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 May '12 21:45
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Well, that's fine. But you're part of a society, you have rules. If you don't want to play by them, then try someone else out.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 May '12 23:38
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I dont know about banning someone from their country of birth; but I would seriously consider a boycot of facebook if I was a U.S citizen, He is in effect sucking dollars out of the U.S and carting it off to singapore.
    I quit Facebook because it was useless and annoying, and was somewhat risky.

Dollars are routinely being sucked out of almost every nation on earth, and to nearly every other nation. Value being traded freely isn't such a bad thing. I am much more fearful of governments doing things to restrict the freedom of trade and movement, than what a few individuals do with their money.

Put another way, I'm much more concerned about my government spending $1.5 trillion it doesn't have, than with what any millionaire or billionaire does with their own money.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 May '12 23:40
    Well, that's fine. But you're part of a society, you have rules. If you don't want to play by them, then try someone else out.
    That sentence is somewhat meaningless.

Part of a society, which seemingly thinks that minimizing taxes is a good thing, if its their own taxes they are talking about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree