1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 06:40
    What would happen if a nation based currency on people (instead of gold, for instance) and printed money to hand to every adult - their share - when they reached adulthood?

I don't advocate this. It was just a thought. What do you think?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 07:32
    You have to be more specific than this. But I would guess money would most likely lose its value and people would invent an informal currency.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 15:353 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What would happen if a nation based currency on people (instead of gold, for instance) and printed money to hand to every adult - their share - when they reached adulthood?

The dollar would rapidly grow in value relative to goods and other currencies. Even if the rate of money supply growth matched money demand growth in the US, there is a lot of demand for dollars overseas.

Edit: It could lose its value as KN suggests if people found that the eventual extreme shortage of dollars made them basically useless for currency so that a different currency became used for trade. Then demand for dollars would drastically fall.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 15:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

I think what would be beneficial is if society adopted a stakeholder model of organization instead of a shareholder one. One could make the case that this would be a "people" standard instead of a "monetary" one.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 18:12
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think what would be beneficial is if society adopted a stakeholder model of organization instead of a shareholder one. One could make the case that this would be a "people" standard instead of a "monetary" one.
    Expand please.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 19:28
    Originally posted by telerion
    Expand please.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stakeholder_theory

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree